WikiProject Square Enix (also known as WPSE) is the name of the collaborative project dedicated to improve the quality of Square Enix series articles on Wikipedia, and is the successor to WikiProject Final Fantasy specifically for Final Fantasy. As of December 2015, the Final Fantasy branch of WikiProject Square Enix has produced 15 featured articles and over 65 good articles.
History[edit | edit source]
As WikiProject Final Fantasy[edit | edit source]
WikiProject Final Fantasy was created by Seancdaug in 2005 and lasted as a distinct wikiproject. The project was active in 2006, when several contributors joined in a large-scale effort to produce as many featured or good articles as possible in a short amount of time, reaching 14 good articles and 7 featured articles by October 23, 2006. The project continued until 2009, when many users who were once active in WikiProject Final Fantasy eventually left to join the Final Fantasy Wiki on Wikia, feeling dissatisfied with the policies and guidelines of Wikipedia, and the limited coverage of the series.
Merge to WikiProject Square Enix[edit | edit source]
In early 2011, the project managed to scan most of the Japanese Final Fantasy-related Ultimania interviews that have never been translated into English before, though the project lacked translators to progress further.
The project continues to function, with new users.
Impact[edit | edit source]
Achievements[edit | edit source]
As of December 2015, the Final Fantasy branch of WikiProject Square Enix has produced 19 of Wikipedia's featured articles and 69 good articles. Across WikiProject Square Enix while 100% of articles are above stub status.
Final Fantasy Wiki[edit | edit source]
Though the Final Fantasy Wiki had already been founded by Shane613, it saw a large increase in editors and a major expansion in coverage when former WikiProject Final Fantasy editors moved to the Final Fantasy Wiki, such as Bluerfn and Crazyswordsman, who had previously been responsible for writing or pushing for featured articles on the project, and later became administrators on the wiki.
Lamest edit wars[edit | edit source]
Articles within the scope of WikiProject Final Fantasy infamously made it to the Wikipedia list of "lamest edit wars" three times due to three articles:
- Final Fantasy VIII – Week-long debate regarding the "Controversy/Criticism" section about whether or not Final Fantasy VIII has a "massive" fanbase or a "fanbase as large as the fanbase of Final Fantasy VII". Other wording issues were also discussed. Unfortunately, all options required that sources be cited. The article has since become a featured article.
- Squall Leonhart – Is Squall a hero or a protagonist? Many reverts between "hero", "protagonist", and variant forms of each ensue as an accompanying Talkpage debate weighs the definitions, connotations, and comparisons of the respective terms relative to Squall's role in Final Fantasy VIII; other Final Fantasy articles suffer collateral damage.
- Tifa Lockhart – Does Tifa, a character in a PlayStation game (Final Fantasy VII), have "ample breasts"? Lengthy debate over wording, whether breast size is POV, and the entire concept of mentioning something that silly. And what exactly is her hair color supposed to be, anyway — black or brown?
References[edit | edit source]
- WikiProject Square Enix (Accessed: December 22, 2015) at Wikipedia
- WikiProject ''Final Fantasy'' (Accessed: October 23, 2006) at Wikipedia
- Project talk:WikiProject Square Enix/archive/4 (Accessed: December 22, 2015) at Wikipedia
- Project talk:WikiProject Video games/Inactive project cleanup (Accessed: December 22, 2015) at Wikipedia
- Project talk:WikiProject Square Enix/archive/8 (Accessed: December 22, 2015) at Wikipedia