Final Fantasy Wiki
Advertisement

The White Mask is a high-ranked mystic headgear in Final Fantasy XII that boosts the wearer's Magick Resist by 56 and Magick Power by 8, and makes the wearer absorb Holy damage. In the Zodiac versions, it also gives 81 MP, slightly less than the preceding Celebrant's Miter. It is a contender for endgame gear for its good stats and Holy-absorption property, though few enemies employ this element.

Wearing multiple pieces of armor that all give the same elemental resistance does not stack, but certain different types do:

  • Weakness + Absorb = Absorbs double
  • Halve + Absorb = Absorbs half

This means that wearing the White Mask in conjunction with the Bone Mail would have the character absorb double damage from Holy. There are no equipment that halve Holy damage.

White Mask is the light counterpart of the Dark-absorbing Black Mask whose bazaar set requires one of the same items; for best efficiency to unlock both sets simultaneously, the player can make use of the "bazaar glitch".

Obtain[]

Original[]

White Mask found.

In the original PlayStation 2 version, the White Mask is sold for 14,500 gil in Balfonheim Port after Sky Fortress Bahamut appears. It is also found as a treasure in Pharos - First Ascent's Wellspring Labyrinth (north of the first area; 65% chance to appear, 65% chance for gil, 50% chance the treasure is the White Mask without the Diamond Armlet equipped Map 31 Pharos First Ascent), and in Subterra's Abyssal South (50% chance to appear, 50% chance for gil, 50% chance the item treasure is the White Mask without the Diamond Armlet equipped). It rarely drops from the Juggernaut.

The White Mask is made in the bazaar set "White Vestments" by selling nine Blood Wools (e.g. from Baritine Croc), seven Beastlord Hides (e.g. from Reaver), and eight Holy Crystals (e.g. Holy Elemental). The nine Blood Wools are also used for making the "Black Vestments" set, so selling the ingredients for both sets at the same time, with only nine wools, the player can unlock both sets without needing to grind for 18 Blood Wools. However, the ingredients for the White Vestments are also acquired late, with the Beastlord Hides being most accessible from Pharos and Subterra.

Zodiac[]

In the updated Zodiac versions, the White Mask is not available in normal shops, but sells for 7,250 gil. It is a treasure in Cerobi Steppe's North Liavell Hills (20% chance to appear, 80% chance for gil, 5% chance the item treasure is the White Mask with the Diamond Armlet equipped), and in Necrohol of Nabudis's Cloister of Distant Song (always appears). It is still a rare drop from the Juggernaut and made in the "White Vestments" set in the bazaar with the same items as before.

It is now also the common steal from Ultima in Trial Mode Stage 95, also obtained through the Hunt Club on the Phon Coast by giving ten Rare Game trophies to Blok; the White Mask is then available to purchase from the Shifty-Eyed Merchant's Store nearby for 21,750 gil.

Use[]

White Mask is a high-ranked mystic hat, giving 56 Magick Resist, 8 Magick Power, as well as 81 MP in the Zodiac versions. It makes the wearer absorb Holy damage, and so is good against Ultima. Not many enemies use Holy, however, so the Black Mask counterpart may be more useful endgame gear overall. Another endgame gear contender is the Golden Skullcap, available as early as right after the events at the Tomb of Raithwall from the Dead Bones in the Nabreus Deadlands.

Mystic armor offer magick-related bonuses that affect all types of magickal actions, from casting black magick to damage an enemy, to casting white magick to heal the party. Magick Power is also a factor when determining damage dealt by katana, staves, and maces.

In the Zodiac versions, White Mage, Red Battlemage, White Mage, and Bushi can equip it, and so the White Mask is only useful to look for if the player has chosen any of these License Boards for their party. In The Zodiac Age versions, after fighting Belias the player can choose two License Boards per party member; it is usually a good idea to pair jobs that use two different types of armor for versatility.

The player could get the mask a bit earlier from the Juggernaut, though the chance is slim. The bazaar set is a bit tougher to make than the complementary "Black Vestments", but comes with the excellent White Robes, which couples with Excalibur, Holy Lance and Wyrmhero Blade, and so is worth getting if the party is using any of these weapons and can use mystic gear with them.

Advertisement