Western Thanalan is a location in Final Fantasy XIV.
It largely serves as a starting zone for players beginning in Ul'dah, and a key hub for many Main Scenario quests.
- 1 Story
- 2 Locations
- 3 Places of Interest
- 4 Quests
- 5 Enemies
- 6 Musical themes
- 7 Gallery
Western Thanalan lies directly west of Ul'dah, straddling the coastline of the Rhotano Sea. It connects to Central Thanalan in the east, and ferry services at Vesper Bay lead to the city-state of Limsa Lominsa. Access to Ul'dah is available through the Gate of the Sultana. A passage leading to the Goblet is available just southwest of the Gate.
The only Aetheryte is located at Horizon, in the center of the map.
Western Thanalan contains the following areas:
- Hammerlea - A flat plain in the south.
- Horizon's Edge - The central region of the zone.
- Footfalls - A series of winding canyon pathways along the coastline.
- Cape Westwind - The northwestern-most point of the zone, it houses a Garlean stronghold.
A port city along the Strait of Merlthor. Despite being one of the foremost hubs of Ul'dahn trade with Limsa Lominsa and the home base of the Scions of the Seventh Dawn, the Syndicate has declined to construct an Aetheryte in the town, which the Scions assume as due the Syndicate expecting some kind of recompense from them for its construction.
Western Thanalan's climate may exhibit any of the following weather conditions:
- Clear Skies
Places of Interest
A river valley located south of Horizon.
Though abandoned for centuries, the mine was reactivated when new veins were discovered, and the Calamity pressed the need for materials. It turns out the mines were also where hecatoncheir slaves were sealed in an uprising.
The Waking Sands
This building in Vesper Bay was chosen by Minfilia to be the headquarters of the Scions of the Seventh Dawn.
The East Hammer
The West Hammer
The South Hammer
An underground spring inhabited by a group of giants.
This coastal formation is garrisoned by the XIVth Legion to support Castrum Marinum.
The Silent King
Located offshore, this artificial island was built on the Rhotano Sea to resupply XIVth Legion cohorts in La Noscea and Thanalan.
Events that will appear on the map with requirements and time limits. Assisting in these events give EXP, GIL, and SEALS (when the player joins a Grand Company).
- Location: Hammerlea - Level 5: Needles to Slay/Time Limit: 15 Minutes (Outside of Scorpion Crossing)
- Location: The East Hammer - Level 6: Things That Make You Go Home/Time Limit: 15 minutes (Heading towards Silver Bazaar)
- Location: Beaconhill Lighthouse - Level 8: Please Hammers, Don't Hurt them/Time Limit: 15 minutes (Outside the Silver Bazaar)
- Location: Beaconhill Lighthouse - Level 8: The Cores/Time Limit: 15 minutes (Outside the Silver Bazaar)
- Location: The West Hammer - Level 8: Deface the Facts/Time Limit: 15 minutes (Heading to the Silver Bazaar)
- Location: Nophica's Wells - Level 9: Doomed/Time Limit: 15 minutes (Down in the Wells towards the back end)
- Location: Nophica's Wells - Level 9: The Villain/Time Limit: 15 minutes (Down in the Wells area)
- Location:Royal Allagan Sunway - Level 10: Dog Eat Dog/Time Limit: 15 minutes (Outside of Horizon)
- Location: Royal Allagan Sunway - Level 10: Pound for Pound/Time Limit: 15 minutes (By the bridge over Nophica's Wells)
- Location: Nophica's Wells - Level 10: Copied Peistes/Time Limit: 15 Minutes (On the bridge over Nophica's Wells)
- Location: Crescent Cove - Level 13: Bigger Fish to Fry/Time Limit: 15 minutes (Right outside of Crescent Cove)
- Location: Vesper Bay - Level 13: Bubble Trouble/Time Limit: 15 minutes (Heading towards Vesper Bay)
- Location: Parata's Peace - Level 22: He's Got Legs/Time Limit: 15 minutes (Heading towards Parata's Peace)
- Location: Imperial Outpost - Level 23: Juggarnaut Down/Time Limit: 15 minutes (Right outside of the Imperial Outpost)
The player must see a Battle Warden for available Guildheists around their current level.
- Level 15: Basic Training: Enemy Strongholds/Time Limit: 30 minutes
- Scorpion Crossing: Levemates
Graceful Song is the Levemate Usher in Scorpion Crossing (SC). She will help the player gather the Leves needed to better help them level up within this area. All Leves are broken up in 3 categories: Battlecraft, Fieldcraft, and Tradecraft. The player must select which to help advance in leveling. Some Field and/or Tradecraft may only be available at a certain level or within a certain area.
- Horizon: Levemates
Totonowa is the Levemate Usher in Horizon (H). He will help the player gather the Leves needed to better help them level up within this area. All Leves are broken up in 3 categories: Battlecraft, Fieldcraft, and Tradecraft. The player must select which to help advance in leveling. Some Field and/or Tradecraft may only be available at a certain level or within a certain area.
- Level 1
- Berries Got Bucked (SC)
- Either Love Them or Kill Them (SC)
- Observe and Protect (SC)
- Road Rage (SC)
- Level 5
- Two Yalms Under (SC)
- The Ore the Better (SC)
- A Spoonful of Poison (SC)
- Procession of the Noble (SC)
- Level 10
- Out of Body, Out of Mind (H)
- Reeking Havoc (H)
- Beak to Beak (H)
- From Runis to Riches (H)
- Level 1
- Who Needs Paperwork (SC)
- Miner's Holiday (SC)
- Level 5
- Do they Ore Don't They (SC)
- I Don't Zinc It's a Coincidence (SC)
- Level 10
- That's Why They Call It Fools Gold (H)
- We Do This the Hard Way (H)
- Level 1
- Hora to Me (SC)
- Water of Life (SC)
- Bad Bromance (H)
- Hire in the Blood (SC)
- Long Hair, Long Life (SC)
- Burn Me Up (SC)
- Met A Sticky End (SC)
- The Bleat Is On (SC)
- Days of Chunder (SC)
- Level 5
- A Ringing Success (SC)
- A Needle is a Small Sword (SC)
- Horn of Plenty (SC)
- Wiggle Room (SC)
- Time for Action (SC)
- This Is Why You Can't Have Nice Things (SC)
- Gotta Bounce (SC)
- The Hexster Runoff (SC)
- Don't Be So Tallow (SC)
- Level 10
- Making Gloves Out of Nothing at All (H)
- Dirt Cheap (H)
- Welcome to the Cotton Club (H)
- Little Ladybug
- Star Marmot
- Hammer Beak
- Sun Midge Cloud
- Yarzon Feeder
- Rusty Coblyn
- Earth Sprite
- Nesting Buzzard
- Goblin Mugger
- Sun Midge Swarm
- Desert Peiste
- Dusty Mongrel
- Copper Coblyn
- Giant Tortoise
- Arbor Buzzard
- Bloated Bogy
- Lead Coblyn
- Yarzon Scavenger
- Laughing Toad
- Moondrip Blastmaster
- Moondrip Piledriver
- Moondrip Stonehauler
- 4th Cohort Eques
- 4th Cohort Hoplomachus
- 4th Cohort Laquearius
- 4th Cohort Signifer
- 4th Cohort Secutor
- 4th Cohort Vanguard
- Sewer Syrup (B-Rank Elite Mark)
- Alectryon (A-Rank Elite Mark)
- Zona Seeker (S-Rank Elite Mark)