A wedding or marriage ceremony is the ceremony in which two people are united in marriage. Several weddings have been depicted in the Final Fantasy series.
In Conde Petie, the player must "marry" Zidane Tribal and Garnet Til Alexandros XVII, and optionally marry Vivi Ornitier and Quina Quen to gain access to the Iifa Tree. The marriage is valid only on the Outer Continent.
Seymour Guado forces Yuna to marry him in Bevelle. The party attempts to break up the wedding and rescue her but are held back by Yevon guards. Yuna tries to use the marriage as an attempt to send Seymour, but fails as he threatens to kill her guardians. Yuna breaks off the wedding after her guardians are threatened and jumps off the palace tower. She summons Valefor and heads to the Chamber of the Fayth. Afterward, Yuna and her guardians are put on trial and thrown into the Via Purifico.
Two characters can marry within Vana'diel. It is reportedly one of the most challenging activities to accomplish in the game. Players may choose to marry a member of the opposite gender. Racial differences are irrelevant, and interracial couples are not uncommon.
At the beginning of the game, Ashelia B'nargin Dalmasca and Rasler Heios Nabradia marry in what is called by many a political marriage to cement an alliance between their two kingdoms. Contrary to the beliefs of their people, they truly loved each other.
However, shortly after their wedding, Archadia leads an attack on Nalbina, and Rasler is killed during the fight. Ashe then fakes her own death by suicide after the murder of her father and loss of her kingdom. She then forms a resistance against Archadia for revenge, joining the party in their efforts.
Marriage system called "Eternal Bond" was implemented in patch 2.45. Interracial and same sex marriage are all possible.
Noctis Lucis Caelum and Lunafreya Nox Fleuret are arranged to be married, with Noctis and his retinue setting off to meet Lunafreya in Altissia for the wedding. However, their journey is interrupted by Niflheim's invasion of Insomnia. Lunafreya's wedding dress was designed by the real-world fashion designer Vivienne Westwood, and the dress is on display in Altissia where the party can find it.
Ten years later, Noctis sacrifices his life to become the True King and end the Starscourge plaguing Eos. The final post-credits scene shows Noctis and Lunafreya together at the Lucian throne in wedding attire, while Regis Lucis Caelum narrates and gives them his blessing. There is an alternate version of the scene where Lunafreya sheds a tear. Lunafreya is wearing her hairpin from Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV.
A Final Fantasy XV "special display" was part of the Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary exhibition at the Mori Art Center Gallery in the Roppongi Hills complex in Tokyo, where an exclusive congratulatory dialogue of Regis and Noctis's three friends addressed to Noctis and Lunafreya at their wedding played when patrons approached the Final Fantasy XV section of the exhibit. The display is titled "Phantom Wedding." The messages from Regis and Noctis's friends were translated to English to also accompany the Japanese voice acted clips.
- Regis's message
- My Son,
- I know your journey was not an easy one. Though the challenges you faced as king were numerous, you confronted them all without ever losing heart, walking tall until the dawn. You should be proud.
- I must thank you for looking after my son—as an Oracle and as his betrothed. May you both know happiness forevermore.
- Gladiolus, Ignis, Prompto,
- you stood by my wayward son. For that, you have my eternal gratitude. The future of our kingdom goes with you.
- Gladiolus's message
- Before, you could barely even tie your own shoes, so it's kinda crazy to think you tied the knot. You've come a long way, Noct, and I want you to know I'm proud of you.
- Now that you two are finally together, you better treat her right. Got it? We've got everything else under control. Don't worry: this world is in good hands.
- Congrats, buddy. Hope you two are happy now and always.
- Ignis's message
- Congratulations, Noct.
- I suspect your father would be delighted to see you don his royal raiment with pride and join our beautiful pride in holy matrimony. Would I were able to see it for myself.
- Ever since you were a lad, I sensed you were destined for greatness. I'm glad to see I was right.
- My friend, my liege, my brother—I wish you and Lady Lunafreya happiness everlasting.
- Prompto's message
- Hey, buddy. Congrats on your wedding! Guess this means our journey together's finally come to an end, huh? It's sad to say goodbye, but I'm so happy for you—both of you. Lady Lunafreya's words and your friendship changed me for the better, and I can't thank you guys enough.
- ...Oh and leave the whole "ushering in the dawn of a new world" to me. You just enjoy your happily ever after.
Venus forces Flora to marry Nils in Venus' City, but she loves Leon who was exile from the city. The party attends the wedding ceremony, but Leon barges inside and claims that he'll defeat Venus. She repels his attack, but Flora gets in-between Venus and Leon and begs her to forgive him. She'll do what she ask her to do, she'll marry Nils.
Venus takes this as Flora ordering her to let Leon go. She tells Venus that she really loves Leon, and she's not afraid of anything anymore, claiming that she's going out of this city. Venus tells her that she can't, but Flora takes Leon's knife and makes a scratch on her face. Now that Flora has a scar, she can't stay in Venus' City anymore and ask to be exile outside of the city walls. Venus refuses and the party intervenes, and Venus is defeated.
Yuna and Seymour's wedding scene appears in the game.
While there are no weddings, Rinoa and Yuna wear wedding dresses on one of their cards.
Yuna's wedding dress is featured as a Wardrobe Record where it is known as "False Bride".
- The series has also featured marriage proposals which have not led to a wedding, or at least a wedding not on-screen:
- Many other weddings have occurred off-screen.
- With the exception of Final Fantasy XI, there has yet to be a depiction of a divorce in the Final Fantasy series. However, Lucrecia Crescent has separated from her husband Professor Hojo.
- Two Final Fantasy designers have married each other in real life: Tetsuya Takahashi and Kaori Tanaka. Voice actors Kenichi Suzumura and Maaya Sakamoto are also married.