Here's some important information regarding the game you should probably read.
Here's a general overview of the Job System:
- You get ABP after battle to level up the jobs. Job levels mean you permanently gain that ability to use on only that character. Don't be afraid to learn the same job on multiple characters, though it might be useless early.
- Level jobs for their ability, and change them regularly. Don't make the easy mistake of sticking with one job because it seems leveled.
- Jobs can be changed at any time out of battle. It is advisable, too, especially early on for some bosses.
- Staying on jobs to learn a few things is fine. Don't waste time mastering a job if a better one is available.
- The Freelancer is a lategame job. Use it only against certain bosses or when you have mastered several jobs. This is because you won't level up your jobs using them. The only job coming close to the Freelancer in terms of being strictly lategame is the Mime job (basically, Freelancer for Mages).
This walkthrough was written on the iOS/Android version, though that version is identical to the GBA version. That in turn, almost identical to the PlayStation and SNES versions, with the exception of a missing Bonus Dungeon, and worse translations. Depending on your version:
- If you're playing SNES or PS, the names will be very different, just watch out for the sprites, which are identical.
- If you're playing SNES or PS, then you can ignore everything I put that comes after the Final Boss (unless you've decided to beat Omega and Shinryu after the boss).
- If you're playing any version but the iOS/Android versions, ignore the achievements. You can still read them, and still go and do them if you like, there just won't be much point.
And speaking of which, those of you Android folks, I'd totally recommend you get a gamepad and play it on that, as it'd feel more like you're playing a console game. Probably better for bigger screen devices though. Also, please use Cloud save, that is useful as hell, especially if you have multiple devices.
If you want to come into the walkthrough late, then while you will not have followed the job grinding overview I give, I should be able to help you anyway. I will give alternative strategies to most bosses and mention possible alternate outcomes based on what you have or have not done.
Although you don't have to follow it strictly, the guide does give suggestions about leveling up certain jobs. The attempt is to keep assumptions on job levels to a minimum, of course, though for most bosses (until the ultra-endgame ones) it shouldn't matter too much. I highly recommend you follow them if you want to complete the game completely, but if you find grinding tiring, you can feel free to put it off for later.
If you want to fix any grammar mistakes or typos I have made, be my guest. I don't mind if your edits are fixes. However, do not add strategies or content of your own, and do not remove content either.