A cheerful youth who skillfully uses a variety of weapons in battle. Confident in his skills, he fearlessly enters any fierce battle.
Vaan is one of the new characters introduced in Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy. Vaan is a young man who lived on the streets of Rabanastre and dreamed of being a sky pirate. He wields a variety of weapons and his EX Burst is based on his Quickenings from Final Fantasy XII.
In the Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy story mode, his main rival is Kefka.
Vaan's appearance is the same as his original Akihiko Yoshida design from Final Fantasy XII, although he is slightly less tanned. He is a young man with blond hair and blue-gray eyes. He wears a loose-cropped open shirt fastened by a pendant over his chest, which belonged to his late elder brother, Reks. He wears dark pants tucked into knee-high steel boots and held up by a red sash.
Vaan's first alternate outfit, "Gunmetal Vest," is based on Yoshitaka Amano's artwork. His outfit is black and gray and features a different shoulder design, which adds snake-like shoulder pads. In this outfit Vaan gains a tattoo on his left shoulder and a new gauntlet design and his accessories are green. His brother's pendant has a different design and is attached to a necklace, rather than acting as a clasp for his vest.
Vaan's second alternate outfit, "Conflicted Hero," is his design from Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift, which features a shirt under his vest, gauntlets that are no longer fingerless and cover his wrists, slightly different knee armor, and an ornament on his waist.
As a bonus fourth outfit available for download, "Pirate's Garb," Vaan wears an outfit of sea pirate, designed by Akihiko Yoshida, the character designer for Final Fantasy XII. Vaan wears a blue and white coat that flares at the waist, knee-high blue boots, and a black hat with a Jolly Roger on it.
The color of Vaan's manikin, the Idle Sky Pirate, is gold.
Okay. Sure, we were summoned here to fight. But that doesn't mean I'm just gonna throw away what I believe in. I decided to help you because that's what I wanted to do. And I have no intention of hurting you. That's not me.
Much like his personality in Final Fantasy XII, Vaan has an optimistic yet naïve outlook, dreaming of owning an airship and focusing more on the prospect of returning home. This makes him appear unaware and indifferent, frustrating the more serious warriors, such as Lightning.
Vaan has a deep insight of the situation around him, and is able to defend himself when confronted by the other warriors for his seeming indifference. He will not hesitate to take action, indicated when he intervenes to protect Terra from Kefka's torture. Vaan takes it upon himself to care for the other warriors regardless of alignment, demonstrated when he spirits Terra away and becomes the Onion Knight's "older brother," though the latter does not appreciate it initially.
After receiving his dormant crystal from Cosmos, Vaan travels with Lightning, Laguna, and Tifa, but they get separated when they are attacked by Kuja, Kefka, and the manikins. While on his own, Vaan encounters and fights a brainwashed Terra before she runs off.
On the Sky Fortress Bahamut Vaan notices Terra being confronted by Kefka over her unwillingness to fight. Though he attempts to walk away, feeling that interfering would worsen the situation, he takes offense to Kefka torturing Terra with his magic and fights him. After fighting Kefka, Vaan grabs Terra and leaves with her. Terra asks him to kill her, but Vaan refuses and explains that even though they are on opposing sides, he wanted to save her and gives her the strength to reach her resolve of not fighting. Convincing her to go into hiding, Vaan promises Terra to find her before fighting Chaos so she can meet Cosmos and become one of her warriors.
After finding Laguna they find Yuna and an unconscious Tidus, after the Emperor has kidnapped Jecht. They cheer her up, and return to Cosmos and talk to Lightning and the Warrior of Light. After learning of Warrior and Kain's plans, Vaan, Laguna and Yuna decide to stay awake and join Lightning in her suicide mission to stop the manikins.
Vaan travels with Lightning, Laguna and Yuna to the portal, reuniting with Kain and Tifa along the way. When the six of them reach Orphan's Cradle, Vaan talks with Yuna and Tifa, telling them he looks forward to see what the manikins' world looks like. At the Empyreal Paradox, the three of them, along with Laguna and Lightning, fight Garland, the Emperor, the Cloud of Darkness, Kefka and Ultimecia, with Vaan fighting Kefka. Afterwards, along with Kain, they fight the manikins and close the portal, succumbing to the manikins. Shinryu takes Cosmos and the other warriors to the next cycle of conflict, while Vaan, along with the other five new heroes, fades away in front of the Warrior of Light.
In "Vaan's Quest 012: A Voice to Call Back", Vaan encounters Tidus. When they realize the other's allegiance, Tidus reluctantly challenges Vaan, but asks him about his memories. After the battle, Tidus asks if Vaan knows someone called "Jecht", and while Vaan confirms such a man is fighting for Cosmos, Tidus departs before Vaan can explain further. Vaan, not getting Tidus's name, describes him to Yuna as a boy his age asking about Jecht. Yuna asks if the boy was cheerful, but Vaan replies he seemed sad, confusing Yuna about who it could be.
Vaan plays a brief but important role in "Cecil's Quest 012: A Re-encounter With a Close Friend" when the two attempt to liberate a gateway. Vaan comments it would be easier to travel if they had an airship, the mention of the craft sparking Cecil's memories of his home and his friendship with Kain.
During an unspecified cycle, in "Vaan's Quest ???: The Strayed Sky Pirate", Vaan finds an odd gateway and enters it. Unable to find the exit, he is confronted by Gabranth, who tells him he is in a hell dimension cut off from the war, and it is where discarded warriors are banished until the gods call them back to fight again. Gabranth offers to show Vaan the exit if he can defeat him, and Vaan accepts. They fight three times, and Gabranth keeps his word and shows Vaan the way out. Vaan asks if Gabranth will be returning with him, but the judge declines, saying others often stumble into the dimension and he chooses to remain behind to guide them out as he did with Vaan.
Vaan's fighting style is Adroit Attacker because he fights by using a plethora of weapons, such as the greatsword, spear, bow and arrow, katana, axe, sword, shield, gun, and staff, as if he has a License Board. When Vaan uses a Bravery attack, he'll perform a Switch Attack first, then use that weapon until he switches it. The Switch attack is slower, but more powerful than the normal attack, meaning that the opponent can dodge it. Vaan is fairly fast, just a bit slower than Tidus or Lightning. Furthermore, his Switch attacks can be difficult to master.
Bravery Attacks Edit
HP Attacks Edit
|Move||Type||CP (Mastered)||AP||Priority||Effect||Damage type||Obtained||Image|
|Cataclysm||Ground||30 (20)||140||Melee High|
|Punch through a crest of earth and send a row of stalagmites that travel forward. Mid-ranged, turns to track the opponent during start-up.
|Torrent||Ground||30 (20)||140||Ranged High||Wall Rush||Magical||Level 8|
|Uppercut through a crest of water and send orbs of water that crash down on the opponent. The orbs and crest can stun the opponent during start-up.
|Inferno||Aerial||30 (20)||140||Melee High||Wall Rush||Magical||Initial|
|Create a crest of fire, then adjust it to track the opponent and charge forward, ending with a burning shoulder tackle.
|Windburst||Aerial||30 (20)||140||Melee High|
|Create a crest of wind and summon a tornado that spins in place for a period of time. This has a decent absorption effect. The crest can stun the opponent during start-up.
Vaan's EX Mode is Obtained all Licenses, symbolizing his mastery of the License Board by exchanging each of his weapons for a more powerful version of the same type of weapon. Vaan gains the abilities "Free Switch" and "Zodiak." Free Switch allows Vaan to put away his weapons without attacking by pressing and , while Zodiak increases his stats and augments his attacks to have additional effects when using a Switch Attack, such as dealing more hits, performing the attack twice, and other enhancements.
Vaan's EX Burst is Quickening, based on his Quickenings from Final Fantasy XII. It is similar to Gabranth's and the aim is the same: the player has to shuffle several moves and then select one. His Quickenings go in this order: Red Spiral, where several swirls of energy appear and the opponent is decimated by a beam of light; White Whorl, where Vaan creates a tornado that spins into the opponent; and Pyroclasm, where Vaan creates two fireballs and throws them at the enemy, causing an explosion. Success has Vaan finish the EX Burst with Luminescence, where he traps his opponent between two crests and consumes them in a blast of holy light, dealing HP damage. If the player doesn't enter the next Quickening, Vaan skips to Luminescence and less Bravery damage is done.
Exclusive weapons Edit
|Reks's Blade||30||ATK +40||EX Core Absorption +15%||Trade: 61000 gil, Vega, Scarletite x1, Sky Pirate's Desire x5|
|Sword of Kings||90||ATK +63||EX Core Absorption +20%||Trade: 158000 gil, Reks' Blade, Electrum x1, Sky Pirate's Dream x5|
|Zodiac Blade||100||ATK +68||EX Core Absorption +30% Riposte effect||Trade: 182800 gil, Sword of Kings, Galbana Lillies x1, Sky Pirate's Hopes x5|
- Vaan's weapons are available in Final Fantasy XII, and his normal and EX Mode weapons are among the weakest and strongest equipment in their respective equipment types:
- Short Swords: The Mythril Sword and the Durandal.
- Axes: The Handaxe and the Golden Axe.
- Great Swords: The Claymore and the Tournesol.
- Katanas: The Osafune and the Masamune.
- Spears: The Javelin and the Zodiac Spear.
- Staves: The Oak Staff and the Staff of the Magi.
- Crossbows: The Bowgun and the Gastrophetes.
- Guns: The Altair and the Fomalhaut.
- Shields: The Leather Shield and the Zodiac Escutcheon.
- Vaan's first exclusive weapon, "Reks's Blade", is named after his elder brother Reks and refers to the beginning playable segment of Final Fantasy XII. Vaan's second exclusive weapon, "Sword of Kings", is a sword forged by the Occuria that can cut through nethicite. Vaan's best exclusive weapon, "Zodiac Blade", alludes to the Espers in Final Fantasy XII, as each summon is linked to a constellation.
- In EX Mode, Vaan can use a follow up attack when using his weapons. This alludes to how the more powerful weapons in Final Fantasy XII have better chances to do more hits in one attack.
- The two opening attacks to Vaan's EX Burst are two of the three basic moves he performs in Final Fantasy XII, while fighting unarmed. Also, his opening EX Burst line, "No holding back", is said by Penelo when using her Quickening Evanescence.
- In the scene where he is talking to the Onion Knight at the Phantom Train, Vaan is sitting the same way he sits in his official render. He retakes this pose while talking with Yuna and Tifa in Orphan's Cradle.
- In the opening FMV, the scene of Vaan holding Terra and getting her out of harm's way is similar to one in Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings where Vaan holds Penelo's hand while escaping from the collapsing Glabados Ruins.
- When fighting himself, Vaan says "Hey, I'm the leading man!" like Balthier who referred to himself as the leading man before giving Vaan the title in the events of Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings. The title was alluded to in Vaan's description in Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift.
- Vaan's HP attacks are the four weakest Concurrences in Final Fantasy XII and are learned in accordance with their level of power: Inferno, Cataclysm, Torrent, and Windburst.
- When fighting Ultimecia, Shantotto, or Prishe, Vaan asks how old they are. This refers to when he asked Fran how old she is in Final Fantasy XII. In Chapter 8 of the story mode, Vaan asks how old the player thinks Cosmos is, another reference to his asking Fran's age.
- Vaan has a secret voice data in which he yells "I'm Basch!", which, once purchased in the PP Catalog, he may also shout when initiating his EX Burst. This alludes to when Vaan went around Bhujerba, claiming he was Basch.
- When playing through an optional dungeon in Chapter 3, Vaan says to Laguna, "You act like an older brother at times. I get the feeling I had that before...", referring to his brother Reks.
- Additionally, the animosity in Vaan's opening battle quote to Gabranth is possibly an allusion to the prologue of Final Fantasy XII, where Gabranth killed Vaan's brother Reks while impersonating Basch.
- When fighting Gilgamesh, Vaan will say, "Sorry, but... have we met before?". Gilgamesh in Final Fantasy XII can be fought as an Elite Mark. Gabranth's opening battle line to him also alludes to this.
- Vaan mentions to Terra and Laguna multiple times about his love of airships and his dream of someday owning one, and how airships would be a much faster way to get around. In Final Fantasy XII Vaan's dream is to become a sky pirate.
- Vaan's special trade item, the Galbana Lillies, used to trade for the Zodiac Blade, were the favorite flowers of Reks, Vaan's elder brother, as told in Final Fantasy XII.
- Vaan's relationship with Onion Knight may be a reference to his relationship with the orphans of Rabanastre, who look up to him as a big brother-type role model.
- Vaan's relationship with Terra depicts him as a surrogate Locke Cole, who has a habit of rescuing women. Vaan and Locke are both idealist treasure hunters.
- Vaan was originally considered to fill the Final Fantasy XII spot in the first Dissidia Final Fantasy, but was rejected in favor of Gabranth.
- Before Vaan was officially revealed, his English voice actor had confirmed he had returned for a new Final Fantasy game, but had not given more information on what game it was.
- Vaan's Japanese voice actor was changed due to problems from the agency of his original voice actor, Kouhei Takeda. His role was taken over by Kensho Ono, known for his work with dubbing the Harry Potter film series in Japan. This makes Vaan, along with Gilgamesh and Firion, the only characters not to have their original Japanese voice actors reprise their roles.
- Vaan is tied with Laguna and Prishe for the fewest HP attacks (counting ground and midair variants), having only four total.
- Vaan in Dissidia Final Fantasy NT has more HP attacks than any other character.
- Vaan's pre-battle line before fighting Yuna is "No fair having Eidolons help out!", despite summoned monsters being called aeons in Final Fantasy X and Espers or Scions in Final Fantasy XII. The only games in which summoned creatures are named Eidolons are Final Fantasy IX, Final Fantasy XIII, and the DS, iOS, and PSP remake of Final Fantasy IV.
- During development of Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy, battle director Takeo Kujiraoka consulted Hiroyuki Ito, the designer of the License Board in Final Fantasy XII and director of the International Zodiac Job System remake of the game, for his thoughts on Vaan's fighting style. Due to Ito working in a different department and being occupied with another project, they were unable to speak directly, so Kujiraoka sent him an email with a demo file of Vaan asking for Ito's opinion. Ito replied he thought Vaan was a great character and that Kujiraoka had chosen his favorite victory pose of Vaan's to use in the game. Ito received a "Special Thanks" credit for the game due to his feedback.
- Vaan and Gabranth are the only characters of the same game to have different naming schemes for their manikins.