"Unbending Steel" (曲がらぬ刃 〜蛮神ラーヴァナ討滅戦〜, Magaranu Ha ~Banshin Rāvana Tōmetsusen~?, lit. Unbreakable Blade ~Savage God Ravana Showdown~) is a boss theme from Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward for the primal Ravana, Lord of the Hive. It was composed by Masayoshi Soken and arranged by Yoshitaka Suzuki and Soken. The lyrics were written by Michael-Christopher Koji Fox and the vocals were provided by Dan Inoue.
"Unbending Steel" is Ravana's second theme. It starts playing after he uses his ultimate attack, Bloody Fuller.
During the first time Ravana uses his ability rotation after casting Bloody Fuller, his attacks are timed to go off at the same time as their respective lyrics: he casts The Rose of Conviction, The Rose of Hatred, and the Rose of Conquest. This is not a typo; the singer's voice is clearly saying "the rose of conquest", but the official lyric, confusingly, is "the rose of contest".
It is the 21st track in Heavensward: Final Fantasy XIV Original Soundtrack.
The lyrics are from the official soundtrack.
- High, on high I stand
- Gazing down to see
- The endless garden
- Awaiting me
- Red bloometh the rose of conviction
- And red bloometh the rose of hate
- Yes red bloometh the rose of contest
- Firmly bound to its fate
- And the war, it wageth on
- The storm, it rageth on
- The bold ever fight on
- Their lives echoed in song
- Fall, like snow they fall
- Petals plucked and strewn
- Yet from their seeds grow
- This war anew
- Blood trickling down from my fullers
- And blood trickling down from mine hands
- Yes, blood trickling down to Hydaelyn
- Until I alone stand
- The war, still wageth on
- The storm, still rageth on
- The bold blindly march on
- Their lives, lost in a song
Behind the scenes
During the development of Heavensward there were plans for "Unbending Steel" to have Gnathic or Dragonspeak lyrics before ultimately settling on English. Portions of these lyrics were shown during a panel at PAX Prime in 2015, though they only corresponded to the first three verses of the song's English lyrics.
- Dulin ast Dulan ast doth
- Kalin ast Kalan ast doth
- Thok anyx ast Ranish ast doth
- Thok vathik ast gnathik ast Koth
- Thoth oka thoth y sa kenne
- an in-a an in-a in-est
- Thoth oka thoth dula kenne
- an in-a an in-a thon-est
- Ast Ravana Gnath Ravana
- Gnath Ravana Ast Ravana
- Ast Ravana Gnath Ravana
- Gnath Ravana Gnath Ravana!
- Tahn aih an aih an
- Hess loh hess ala
- Whei an gron afah
- Whei an afah
- Haff gron y shall loon rhe na-a
- A haff gron y eil loon rhe na
- Ess haff gron y whor loon rhe na
- Taih ong akh ah ala
- A khol whor ala na
- A khol stol ala na
- A whor gahn ala na
- Ohsk ahm in akh in na (na)
- Square Enix (February 24, 2016). Heavensward: Final Fantasy XIV Original Soundtrack. p. 7-8. Square Enix.
- Square Enix (September 4, 2015). FFXIV Koji & Soken's Wild Ride (PAX Prime 2015). YouTube. Archived from the original on August 8, 2021.