Ultima is a Notorious Monster in Chains of Promathia. He enters the storyline in Mission 6-2 "One to be Feared". After facing the quintuplet group Mammet-22 Zeta and Omega, players have to defeat Ultima, who takes the form of a floating, many armed "Biotechnological Weapon." He has about 15,000 HP and is very resistant to all damage. He is notably small, fitting on the deck of an airship with ease.
Ultima fights in a traditional manner, though his difficulty comes not with the ever increasing haste effect of his attacks, but instead on his deadlier and deadlier tiers of Weapon Skills. Ultima has four categories of Weapon Skills and they are very powerful.
Using a CCB Polymer Pump, a crafted item, will prevent Ultima from using any Weapon Skills against the party for a period of about 1 minute. The pumps are quick to use, requiring only 3 seconds or less.
If the players are successful in defeating Ultima, they will have beaten the mission and moved on to Chapter 7 of the Chains of Promathia storyline. All three encounters (the Mammets, Omega, and Ultima) must be defeated within the span of 45 minutes, which can be rather challenging, since this time also includes more than a couple cutscenes as the party searches for Prishe.
Strengths and weaknessesEdit
Ultima has no known strengths or weaknesses to any element.
From 70% - 100% HP:
- Wirecutter: Single-target physical damage (~400 to PLD), absorbed by Utsusemi (2 shadows).
- Particle Shield: Strong Defense Boost. Remove with Dispel/Magic Finale.
- Chemical Bomb: Cone attack Elegy and Slow (stronger than Haste, and will thus remove it). Remove with two Erases.
From 40 - 70% HP:
- Nuclear Waste: Causes a status effect that reduces all elemental resistances by 50. AoE
- Followed 5 seconds later by one of the following elemental cone attacks, all of which do 490 damage if unresisted:
- Smoke Discharger: Earth damage and Petrification for ten to twenty seconds.
- Hydro Cannon: Water damage and Poison.
- Cryojet: Ice damage and Paralyze.
- Turbofan: Wind damage and Silence.
- Flame Thrower: Fire damage and Plague.
- High-Tension Discharger: Thunder damage and Stun[?].
From 20 - 40% HP:
- Equalizer: AoE heavy physical damage (300 - 400 to Paladin, 600 - 900 HP to others). Absorbed by Utsusemi.
- Particle Shield
- Chemical Bomb Slow II and Elegy (Extra 50% slow).
From 0 - 20% HP: Ultima spams WS at this point, one second after finishing one move, it starts the next.
- Antimatter: Heavy "ranged" physical attack (300 - 900 HP) with a five second charge time; can likely be Stunned. It ignores Utsusemi and Blink, but damage can vary greatly.
- Particle Shield
Ultima means "the last" in Latin and many Latin-based languages. In the Spanish versions of many Final Fantasy games, it is written as "Artema," a close transliteration of the Japanese katakana.