How to find Edit
Sighting of a UFO is first mentioned in Occult Fan IV, a magazine that centers on bizarre and mysterious events happening around the world. The magazine hints on the sidequest involving encounters of the third kind.
To encounter the UFO, the player must visit four locations. A fixed battle will ensue (even with No Encounters equipped) and the UFO will appear. Once it has appeared, it will not show up a second time in the same location. The locations can be visited in any order.
The locations are as follows:
- Mandy Beach: The beach east of Timber. The UFO carries a Moai statue.
- Winhill Bluffs: The UFO is sighted on the bluffs around Winhill. The UFO abducts a cow.
- Kashkabald Desert: Kashkabald Desert is in southern Esthar near Cactuar Island, and the UFO is sighted on the western part of the desert, carrying a pyramid.
- Heath Peninsula: Heath Peninsula is in eastern Trabia, and the UFO is sighted on the small gray island east of the peninsula carrying a crop circle.
After the fourth sighting, the player must fly the Ragnarok to Grandidi Forest in northern Esthar and land on the highlands above the Chocobo Sanctuary, and they will have a up-close encounter with the UFO. The quest remains available till endgame.
The party can choose to attack it or draw Demi. If Rinoa is in the party and has Angelo Search, the player can idle in the battle to let Angelo search for items over and over. The battle can be escaped from, so the player can repeatedly use the UFO? for such item farming.
After it has been damaged enough, the UFO? will fly away. The party will get an Aegis Amulet for the battle.
UFO? is one of the few non-boss monsters that is unaffected by Quistis's Degenerator Limit Break, Selphie's Rapture and Odin's never appears against it. The others are Grat, Vysage, Lefty, Righty, Cactuar, Tonberry, Esthar Soldier (Terminator) and PuPu.
Aegis Amulet farmingEdit
There is an exploit the player can do to repeatedly get UFO?'s battle spoils by both defeating the UFO? and escaping the battle, leaving the encounter still available. The UFO? needs to be defeated by the auto-triggered Phoenix, which happens randomly after the player has manually used a Phoenix Pinion in battle at least once, and the party is annihilated. The player can enter the battle with the two other party members petrified, and then have Squall kill himself with an attack, and then escape when Phoenix is summoned and revives him.
Other appearances Edit
unidentified flying object, or UFO, in its most general definition, is any apparent anomaly in the sky (or near or on the ground, but observed hovering, landing, or departing into the sky) that is not readily identifiable as any known object or phenomenon by visual observation and/or use of associated instrumentation such as radar.An
- World of Final Fantasy has a similar UFO side-game, including collectable issues of Occult Fan that can be found in treasure chests.