Technicks are skills that let you do things no Magicks can. Stealing treasures from your foes, staunching wounds... You should give 'em a try.
Technicks (技, Waza?, lit. Skills) are command abilities in Final Fantasy XII. A Technicks skill must be bought from a shop/found in a treasure before becoming available to the party, but for a character to be able to use the Technicks skill, they must first buy the appropriate license using License Points. Unlike magicks, Technicks skills require no MP.
The licenses in the Zodiac versions are limited to certain job classes, for example, 1000 Needles can be used by Bushi, Shikari and Archer. Sometimes the placement of the Technicks licenses for each of the twelve job classes' License Boards requires players to obtain Espers or Quickening licenses first—since these licenses will disappear from other boards once selected, players have to choose the licenses wisely, or risk not being able to use a Technicks skill. In the Zodiac versions Technicks are found almost entirely in treasure chests, with only the most basic being found in shops. As such, most shops offer the same set of Technicks and even those in towns not visited until towards the end of the game will not offer anything new.
Using Technicks for over 100 times unlocks Vayne's sprite to the Sky Pirate's Den and awards the "Premier Prestidigitator" trophy/achievement in The Zodiac Age. Acquiring every Technicks skill adds Vossler's sprite and the trophy "Jack-of-all-Trades".
Mechanics[edit | edit source]
While some offensive Technicks skills always hit, most techs have a base hit chance, which is:
If user's Lv is greater than target's Lv, the chance becomes:
Because Shades of Black and Stamp cannot target allies, the player can no longer use them to reflect spells off of allies or inflict buffs. Shades of Black is also affected by the recategorization of Black Magicks; it no longer casts Ardor, and has a chance to cast Blind, Blindga, Silence, Silencega, Sleep, Sleepga, Poison, and Toxify. The odds between each spell appearing are also evened out more.
Ability list[edit | edit source]
|Name||Target||Flying||CT||Type||Faith Modifier||Accuracy||MP Recovery||Null Sleep||Required License|
|Initial||Switch With or||Range||Area||Base||Safety Nulled by Safety augment|
|Steal from one foe.|
Effect: Steal item(s) from an enemy. Improved by Thief's Cuffs. See Steal mechanics here.
|Reveal more detailed target information.|
Effect: Makes user able to view detailed information of a targeted enemy, as well as hidden traps. Reveals the HP, elemental weaknesses, and status enhancements/ailments of most targeted enemies. Bosses (excluding Firemane and Mimic Queen), Marks (excluding Rogue Tomato, Thextera, and Nidhogg) and Rare Game (excluding Helvinek and Midgardsormr) are immune.
|Capture HP Critical foes to obtain loot.|
Effect: Captures a HP Critical foe to obtain loot, forfeiting EXP, LP, CP, Gil, and drops. Enemies have two slots for Poach items, a common item (95% chance) and an uncommon item (5%). Some enemies have the same item in both slots. Poach items are unaffected by battle chain. Enemies with the Safety augment can't be poached.
|Ally||No||3||Single||No||15||Physical||None||Always||No||No||No||First Aid20 LP|
|Restore HP to one HP Critical ally.|
Effect: Heals an ally with critical health for a minor amount of health with a very low cast time. Always misses if ally's HP is not critical.
|Deal ranged damage with melee weapons.|
Effect: Deals ranged attacks with melee weapons. Always misses if used with a ranged weapon. Doesn't deal combo hits, and has a longer Charge Time than the basic Attack command. Damage inflicted is randomized; the user's level and stats do not matter.
|Enemy||No||10||Circle 6||Yes||20||Physical||None||―||No||Inquisitor||No||Numerology40 LP|
|Deal damage that increases with successive hits. See here for specifics.|
Effect: Damage doubles and accuracy decreases with each successive hit. Both reset upon missing.
|Consume HP to deal damage to one foe.|
Effect: Consume 20% of your maximum HP to damage one ground-based enemy (1.7 times more powerful than a regular physical attack). Restores HP to undead targets.
|Enemy||No||Weapon||Single||Partial||25||Physical||None||20%||Yes||No||Yes||Sight Unseeing40 LP|
|Unleash an attack only available when blind.|
Effect: Causes the enemy's HP to drop to a random number between 0 and 8; only usable while Blinded.
|Cause one foe to confuse friend with foe.|
|Render one foe vulnerable to an additional element.|
|Restore user's MP. If the technick fails, MP is reduced to 0.|
Effect: Restores amount of user's MP and charges the Mist bar. If the skill fails, MP is reduced to 0, but the Mist bar does not reset. The amount restored ranges from the value of the user's level to 1.5 times that minus 1. The probability of missing is the percentage of the user's remaining MP plus 1%.
|Fully consume user's MP, changing one ally's HP to 10 times that amount.|
Effect: Fully consumes users MP to set ally's HP to 10 times the amount of sacrificed MP.
|Enemy||No||10||Circle 6||Yes||30||Physical||None||Always||No||Inquisitor||Yes||Gil Toss30 LP|
|Throw gil, damaging all foes in range.|
Effect: Throw Gil equivalent to the total remaining HP all members to deal a maximum of 10,000 damage split between all enemies in range. Always misses if the player does not possess enough gil and no gil is expended.
|Enemy||No||10||Single||Yes||25||Physical||None||100%||No||Inquisitor||Yes||1000 Needles35 LP|
|Deal 1,000 damage to one foe.|
|Fully consume user's HP, reviving and fully restoring HP of one KO'd ally.|
|Inflict one foe with any status effects on the user.|
Effect: Copies an active harmful status effect aside from HP Critical from the user to one foe.
|Shades of Black
|Enemy||No||10||Single||Yes||35||Magick||Potency||―||No||Warmage||No||Shades of Black70 LP|
|Cast a random black magick on one foe.|
Effect: Casts a random Black Magick spell on one enemy, including ones the user has not yet learned. Each possible spell has equal probability of being cast.
|Enemy||No||10||Circle 6||Yes||30||Physical||None||Always||No||Inquisitor||No||Traveler50 LP|
|Deal damage based on total steps taken to all foes in range.|
Effect: Deals damage to all enemies in range based on total steps taken. See here for calculation.
|Enemy||No||10||Circle 6||Yes||30||Physical||None||90%||No||Warmage||No||Horology50 LP|
|Deal damage based on a factor of time to all foes in range.|
Effect: Damages all enemies in range based on game time. See here for calculation.
|Consume HP to reduce the HP of one foe to 0|
Effect: Consumes between 0 and all but 1 of the user's HP to reduce the HP of one enemy to 0. The user's HP is reduced to 0 if the attack misses, aside from when the attack has been nullified.
|Lower one foe's strength.|
|Lower one foe's magick power.|
|Lower one foe's defense.|
|Lower one foe's magick resist.|
- Requires Zalera
- Requires Hashmal
- After Ondore's Estate
- After defeating Judge Bergan
- After visiting the Draklor Laboratory
- Requires Cúchulainn
- Requires Belias
- Requires Zalera (aside from Vaan, Balthier, Fran)
- After obtaining Shadestone
- Requires Ultima
- Requires Famfrit
- After visiting Mt Bur-Omisace
- Requires Adrammelech
- Requires Exodus
- Requires Zeromus
- After Ba'Gamnan in Lhusu Mines
- Requires Ultima or Zodiark
- Requires Mateus
- Requires Quickening (125 LP), Chaos or Zodiark
- Requires Cúchulainn or Ultima
- After defeating Belias
- After the Leviathan
- Requires Belias
- Requires Zeromus
Other appearances[edit | edit source]
- Ability Cards
- Legend Cards
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Automating stealing via the gambit system is something players strive to do, but the stealer will keep stealing even when the target has nothing to steal. Thus, many players opt to use Foe HP 100% gambit to only steal from newly met enemies. The developers have commented that they didn't want to make stealing too convenient, and wanted to keep that element of trial-and-error and the "healthy player frustration" that "makes the game fun." Thus, the imperfect stealing with gambits has been left in the International and HD versions.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- maltzsan (January 30, 2007). Final Fantasy XII Game Mechanics FAQ. Neoseeker. Archived from the original on 22nd August 2020.
- The trials, tribulations, and Trial Mode of Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age (Accessed: January 30, 2019) at Retronauts