Enough expository banter!
- Please sign and date your posts by typing four tildes (
~~~~) or five in a talk bubble.
- Put new text under old text. Click here to start a new topic.
- Please read our Conduct guideline. In a nutshell: be polite, assume good faith.
- For general non-wiki discussion on this topic, feel free to discuss on Discord or Discussions.
What about Sequel / Prequel / Spin Off Characters?Should they be added?
Yes, of course, as long as they're in the correct order outlined on the Manual of Style.
Temporary Playable Characters[edit source]
I'm wondering why some games in this list (like II, VI and VIII) also include guests or temporary playable characters, while others don't. In my opinion all playable characters should be mentioned, since this isn't an article about "main characters" or something like that. Because of these discrepancies, the Guest article seems awfully redundant. Can we please fix this somehow? SamSandy 16:48, February 21, 2011 (UTC)
I guess still on this subject, we should either include them or no, and we should talk about it before doing it instead of just doing it on one's own initiative like some people I know. Should guest characters be included or not, and if so, what defines guest? is Aeris a guest? is half of FFII's cast? is Leon? How do you define that? Jimcloud 02:32, November 6, 2012 (UTC)
- I think if a character is playable it goes on the list.Keltainentoukokuu (talk) 02:39, November 6, 2012 (UTC)
- Playable is playable. Guest is just a certain type of playable. Which I guess would make the Guest page redundant. - +DeadlySlashSword+ 10:00, November 6, 2012 (UTC)
- Personally, I'd say it depends. If the criteria is playable aka controlable, then there are still some characters on the Guest page that would not belong here, like the Guests in III or several characters in the Tactics series that join only for a single battle and are AI controlled. Like the Komodo Trader, or Professor Augie. So, while I agree that any character that is controllable should go on here, I feel like we still need the Guest page - and the question is whether those that are only temporary controllable should be mentioned only here or there as well MirrorshardSceada 10:10, November 6, 2012 (UTC)
The Guest article isn't redundant, it's specific. I'd expect this to be more of a list of characters, and the Guest article would write a bit about each Guest and how they fit into the game (i.e. During which portion are they a guest?). 22.214.171.124 13:16, November 6, 2012 (UTC)
I'm kind of new in here, but I want to state a opinion. I think that Mirrorshard has a pretty good point in his comment, all the guests that help the party in III and a lot of Tactics characters are not "playable". I will put Olan as an example, he is an important character to the plot, but only appear in one battle, and in this battle he is totally controlled by the AI. The Guest page could be reduced, but it has to exist, so it can contain characters in a similar situation. To avoid the redundance, either put all the characters that the player can use in the Playable Characters list, or state a minimum division to say which ones are guest and which ones can be considered "playable" (sorry, no suggestion on this "minimum" by now). JC Holy Knight 01:00, November 6, 2012 (UTC)
Okay, I got that, but... let's use a more concrete example here. Can we consider Seymour in this list? He is only playable in one battle, and you know his story after that. I think this is a good question, because the answers of the users will show what they think it's worth including on the list or not. JC Holy Knight 00:15, November 9, 2012 (UTC)
- Unlike Orran, the player still controls Seymour i.e. he's playable. Not for more than a few minutes, but still, playable. C A T U S E 23:21, November 8, 2012 (UTC)
FFXIV just brought an interesting twist on this, not sure if it fits this page. In a new storyline instance, you control Alphinaud instead of your character (who's literally at the other side of the world when it happens), with his own moveset based on the Arcanist class. Would that fit this page, given it's an exception being a MMO? And it's pretty much a given they will use this on the future for different characters 126.96.36.199 14:56, May 23, 2018 (UTC)
- Sounds to me like it would fit here. There's also the guest article for temp characters.Keltainentoukokuu (talk) 15:02, May 23, 2018 (UTC)