Enough expository banter!
- Please sign and date your posts by typing four tildes (
~~~~) or five in a talk bubble.
- Put new text under old text. Click here to start a new topic.
- Please read our Conduct guideline. In a nutshell: be polite, assume good faith.
- For general non-wiki discussion on this topic, feel free to discuss on Discord or Discussions.
|Take a good look. Isn't it beautiful?|
|Behold! This article has been chosen as the Featured Article of November 15th, 2011!|
|Even so, if you wish to improve the article, do not hesitate! You can also nominate your favorite articles to be featured here!|
Garlean character page names[edit source]
Followup to my most recent edit regarding the malleability of Garlean middle names, a change to their character pages might be in order. The Garlean middle name isn't so much a name as a title, a title that can change or be removed as the story progresses - calling a character Aulus mal Asina is basically the same as calling him Doctor Aulus Asina. Gaius van Baelsar is the same as General Gaius Baelsar. Varis zos Galvus is the same as Emperor Varis Galvus. Were Raubahn Aldynn a Garlean legatus rather than Flame General, he'd be Raubahn van Aldynn - his first and last name stick, now he's just got the added title.
As noted in my edit, we've already got examples of the title changing or being removed. Varis was "promoted" from Yae to Zos when his ascended. Fordola was explicitly referred to simply as Fordola Lupis in 4.1 rather than Fordola rem Lupis. There's the example of Eula Darnus - we simply don't know her rank in Garlean society and as such have no middle name to refer to her by. And the newly introduced Jenomis cen Lexentale says that Jenomis is simply his stage name and that his real name Arazlam Durai - no middle name added, despite the fact the he is still a pureblood Garlean and that is should be Arazlam cen Durai.
I'm not really going to push for this, like, at all, as the Garlean middle names are largely very tied to their character, but a case can certainly be made to remove the middle name from the page name. Resulting pages would be:
- Solus Galvus
- Varis Galvus
- Zenos Galvus
- Gaius Baelsar
- Nael Darnus
- Regula Hydrus
- Nero Scaeva
- Livia Junius
- Rhitahtyn Arvina
- Fordola Lupis
- Cid Garlond
- Aulus Asina
- Lucia Junius
- Jenomis Lexentale
- Alma Lexentale
- Ramza Lexentale
- Naming scheme explanation would be good in this page, and in characters' etymology sections.Keltainentoukokuu (talk) 18:10, October 14, 2017 (UTC)
- You might be right, but the game script referred to them as such, and they're known to the players by these full names. Monterossa (talk) 21:11, October 14, 2017 (UTC)
- I've been looking and it seems that Varis may not be the only one who is known to have their "middle name" changed. Before becoming Legatus of the XIVth, Gaius van Baelsar was Tribunus Angusticlavius of the XIth, so he was known as Gaius sas Baelsar on those times. --Con Carne (Di la verdad, o cobras...) 18:45, December 9, 2018 (UTC)
- Just to bring this up again, once again in regards to Gaius, once Shadowhunter reveals himself to be Gaius, he clarifies that he is simply Gaius Baelsar, not Gaius van Baelsar, making a point of dropping the particle. Someone has already changed the opening paragraph on his page to read as Gaius Baelsar with no mention of the van, so some kind of ruling should really be made on this. --Adonzo (talk) 11:09, March 6, 2019 (UTC)
About the Garlean race[edit source]
Not all of the Garlean citizens are of the Garlean race, correct? Cid for the example, he was a Garlean citizen but he looks like a Hyur. Grynewaht is obviously a Roegadyn. Monterossa (talk) 08:19, February 9, 2018 (UTC)
- That is correct1 In fact, Stormblood clarified a lot of this on its plot. I mean, people that weren't born in Garlemand can still be Garlean, like Yotsuyu and her brother or Fordola rem Lupis. It's like nationalities in our own world, you may not be born in one place, but that doesn't mean you can obtain the nationality of that place. -- Eco (talk) 08:24, February 9, 2018 (UTC)
- I don't think "Garlean" is actually a race. Maybe yes, a race such as "Eorzean", "Othardian", "Thavnarian"... But not in a same way as "Hyur", "Lalafell", "Au Ra"... Nael for example may be considered actually as a Garlean Midlander Hyur in the same way Raubahn is an Ala Mhigan Highlander Hyur. However it may have some differences as well (besides the "third eye"), for example: it seems that Garlean Midlander Hyurs are taller than other Midlanders. Just like Othardian Roegadyn are different from the western ones. I don't know if I'm clear. ^¬^; --Con Carne (Di la verdad, o cobras...) 18:45, December 9, 2018 (UTC)
- From what Aulus mal Asina said, it seems to be a race. They're giraffe-like humans that are stronger and smarter than other races, but cannot use magics. They're different enough to be considered a race IMO. Aulus also said that the Garleans were oppressed by "other races" and were driven to Ilsabard. Monterossa (talk) 19:35, December 9, 2018 (UTC)
In the spanish wiki I've made a different version of the "notable members" section, and I ask if you're interested to make it here as well. The section would be cataloged into Legions (except for those whose Legion is/was unknown).
- Solus zos Galvus (Founding Emperor; retired, publicly deceased)
- Varis zos Galvus (Second and current Emperor; former High Legatus)
- IVth Legion
- Noah van Gabranth (Legatus)
- VIth Legion
- Regula van Hydrus (Legatus)
- Sylla mal Albinus (Praefectus Architectorum)
- VIIth Legion
- Nael van Darnus ("The White Raven" and Legatus; deceased)
- Luscus (Tribunus)
- Atilus (Tribunus)
- XIth Legion
- XIIth Legion
- XIVth Legion
- Cid nan Garlond (former Architectus Magiteci)
- Lucia goe Junius (formerly)
- Jenomis cen Lexentale (former student of the Magitek Academy)
- Midas nan Garlond (deceased Primus Architectus Magiteci)
- Eline Roaille ("The Ivy")
- Master Gekkai ("The Blind")
Just leaving another suggestion about the Notable members session, it is updated with the status according to the most recent events of the game. I believe that we could remove the "deceased" listed, I see this as an unnecessary spoiler for the purpose of this session. I think it is feasible to list as deceased only those who died before the game started.-BlueAscian (talk) 22:45, July 9, 2020 (UTC)