Enough expository banter!
- Please sign and date your posts by typing four tildes (
~~~~) or five in a talk bubble.
- Put new text under old text. Click here to start a new topic.
- Please read our Conduct guideline. In a nutshell: be polite, assume good faith.
- For general non-wiki discussion on this topic, feel free to discuss on Discord or Discussions.
I turned this into a disambiguation page because there is no real relationship between the focus abilities throughout the Final Fantasy series. I'm not sure why Palom's information was included though. I don't remember him having a focus... --TacticAngel 20:19, 18 August 2006 (UTC)
- As long as it's an ability, it shouldn't be a disambig. If it were a weapon or something in one game, then yes, it would be a disambig. And Palom has it in the GBA remake apparently (I play the SNES game so I wouldn't know, this is just what I've heard from GBAers). Crazyswordsman 20:56, 18 August 2006 (UTC)
Palom had essentially the same ability in FF4(j) that Vivi has. the one in FFX is improved. If anything, FFXI is the oddball here.koku 13:21, 20 August 2006 (UTC)
Name in other languages Edit
I don't think that section is useful, since many many abilities and magics have different names in italian and other languages. And Reiki is the name of the Focus ability just in Final Fantasy X, while in FFIV it's "Accumulo", in FFIX is "Assimila" and so on. --RickR91 22:50, February 9, 2011 (UTC)
- Agreed. I think if you see any such other needless sections, you can just remove it.Keltainentoukokuu 03:23, February 10, 2011 (UTC)
Effectiveness vs. Flans Edit
I just tested it out with a level 30 Yang in the Tower of Zot in FFTA. Using non-elemental claws, it only deals i damage. Using claws matching their elemental weaknesses, it deals about 300~500 damage to Purple Bavarois, and about 2500-3000 damage to Red Mousses and Jellow Jellies. I checked Deathlike2's algorithm FAQ, and the damage values are within the expected range.
- [(73 attack power * 2x Focus multiplier * 2x elemental weakness multiplier) - (254 defense)] * 7x attack muliplier = (292-254)*7 = 38*7 = 266
- [(73 attack power * 2x Focus multiplier * 4x elemental weakness multiplier) - (254 defense)] * 7x attack muliplier = (584-254)*7 = 330*7 = 2310
Needs to looked at: FFAB, FFArt, FFRK
This one's a bit tricky. Looks like FFI is just unique. There is Focus that boosts physical power, and Focus that powers magic, but they can share the same kanji sometimes. The 4 Heroes of Light's Focus is the defend command in other games, and the FFXII one is auto-ability.Keltainentoukokuu (talk) 09:39, March 27, 2015 (UTC)
I'm assuming the Brigade one is the ためる version (I should check my Sandbox for that). Same with Art and RK. But yeah, FFI's is kinda just...there. And when you really look at it in the article, it REALLY stands out as not being like the others too aye. I do feel that the physical and magical one could be split, as while they ARE boosting stats, they're boosting two different ones. Still not nearly as bad as the Cyclone business I think lol...or others that'll show up later on I'm afeared...
The physical one is mainly associated with Monks, and the magic one mainly with black mages (Vivi & Lulu). Focus (Final Fantasy), Focus (Attack Boost Ability) and Focus (Magic Boost Ability) ... maybe ?_? The 4 Heroes of Light and FFXII can just be on the Focus disambig, I think. I don't know anything about these spinoffs but guess they are all just based on one of the mainseries abilities.Keltainentoukokuu (talk) 11:17, March 27, 2015 (UTC)
- the command ability of the Black Belt class, which doubles the next attack's power. It can be used three consecutive times, before the user releases its boosted energy and takes damage.
Some clarification on how this works with layering would be helpful here. The basic is simple enough
- BB 1
- damage is x2 (equal to +100%)
But how does this work...
- damage is x4 (equal to +300%) or x3 (+200%)
Also when the user releases the boosted energy and takes damage, does this happen upon trying to use it a 4th time? How much damage do they take? Why would someone ever try it a 4th time? talk2ty 20:57, September 3, 2018 (UTC)