Enough expository banter!
- Please sign and date your posts by typing four tildes (
~~~~) or five in a talk bubble.
- Put new text under old text. Click here to start a new topic.
- Please read our Conduct guideline. In a nutshell: be polite, assume good faith.
- For general non-wiki discussion on this topic, feel free to discuss on Discord or Discussions.
A few names are different depending on the localisation you are using. For example, there is the US spelling Specter used in the NTSC-A localisation, and then there's the proper spelling Spectre used in the PAL localisation. I think we should note the naming differences on this article, and how I did it was by putting the U.S. spelling as normal, and, if different, the proper English spelling next to it in brackets (see Article). Do you like the idea? Jeppo (Talk | contribs) 21:43, 31 August 2009 (UTC)
- If it's mentioned in the first paragraph this is what it's doing. And if you are happy enough to find these situations. ILHI 21:45, 31 August 2009 (UTC)
What are Pinewood Chops and Sandalwood Chops called in the Japanese version? TheTrueBlue 06:06, February 2, 2011 (UTC)
- Nvm, I found it, Pinewood Chops are "White Leaves" and Sandalwood Chop is "Black Feather", both in katakana. Where'd they come up with the "chop" thing? TheTrueBlue 06:14, February 2, 2011 (UTC)
- Nvm again, it's an anglicization of a Malay word that basically points to East Asian style "seals" or "stamps". Ok, no more questions from me :X TheTrueBlue 06:16, February 2, 2011 (UTC)
Enemy Augments Revamp - Help Wanted Edit
Well, none of the current names we have for enemy augments are actually officially documented anywhere. You cannot actually see any of the enemy augment names in the game, as far as I know. I think most of our current "Enemy Augment" entries are based off unofficial translations of names provided within the Ultimanias or use the same names as player augments.
The Piggyback FFXII Guide, which I believe we view as an official source, provides the following list of Enemy Augments: https://www.dropbox.com/s/foqaqatubeshap2/097.jpg?dl=0
I propose we change all Enemy Augment names to those provided by the Piggyback Guide. This will require changes on hundreds of pages, but we should be using official names whenever possible. In some cases erroneous names can be automatically replaced using scripts, but player and enemy augments that share the same name will be problematic...
Edits will need to be made to all FFXII summon pages, enemy pages, as well as any pages featuring enemy augments.
The following is a list of conversions:
|Magick Shield||Magick Wall|
|White Wind||White Wind|
|Null Knockback||No Knockback|
|Resist Guns & Measures||Resist Guns/Measures|
|Null VIT||Ignore Vitality|
|Null Weather & Terrain Effects||Ignore Weather & Landscape|
|Piercing Magic||Ignore Reflect|
|Null Evade||Ignore Evade|
|Last Stand||Low-HP Def+|
|Attack Plus||Normal Damage+|
|HP Devour||HP Attack|
|Return Damage||Reflect Damage|
|Damage Resist||Reduce Damage|
|Half MP Cost||Half MP|
|Attack CT 0||Attack CT0|
|Magick CT 0||Magick CT0|
|Item Plus||Medicine Lore|
|Item Reverse||Reverse Medicine|
I plan to edit these changes into the translation table and create a new "Enemy Augments" page that is separate from the current "Enemy Abilities" page.
- Most likely, a bot can change these, so I don't think we need to worry too much there. Our biggest concern will be overlapping names, ie, names which are used both for enemy augments and player augments. If not, we can just get the bot to add a temporary category ("pages with outdated Augment names") letting us know which to edit then add to the To-Do List page. Before we go ahead with this though, how many sources for these names do we have other than the Piggyback guide?-- Technobliterator TC 22:16, December 23, 2014 (UTC)
- rofl at how late this is. Bot's updating them all now on all enemy pages, bar Spellbound, because that's an allied augment that can likely be on enemy pages in reference to the allied one. That'll need to be updated manually.-- Technobliterator TC 23:51, August 30, 2015 (UTC)
Include IJZS fan translated terms? Edit
There has been an unofficial translation of IJZS long before The Zodiac Age was announced. Should terms from that version be included in the same way as Type-0's fan translation before the HD version? Mierna 00:47, July 12, 2017 (UTC)
Well, in my opinion no they are not official and should not be here, the same goes with some Final Fantasy V stuff. We should remove any and all fanslated stuff. Also that could get really confusing if we have all the different translations (Official Jap XII, NA XII, IZJS, TZA) on the pages--Xion V. (talk) 01:07, July 12, 2017 (UTC)
- Except the SNES version was real and doesn't have an official translation to refer to its things by so we need something. III NES is a good example -- the west never got the 2D version and so it contains many things we need to refer to by some name.
- IZJS is a little different, however our TL policy allows it because it never got a direct localisation and TZA is not a direct port. I would include the IZJS in the few tables where its relevant. For example, with equipment tables I would make separate tables for the Zodiac-exclusives. JBed (talk) 06:39, July 12, 2017 (UTC)