Enough expository banter!
- Please sign and date your posts by typing four tildes (
~~~~) or five in a talk bubble.
- Put new text under old text. Click here to start a new topic.
- Please read our Conduct guideline. In a nutshell: be polite, assume good faith.
- For general non-wiki discussion on this topic, feel free to discuss on Discord or Discussions.
Why exist this page and not, for example, Final Fantasy IV DS or Final Fantasy V Advance. All this cases are remakes, but only this has its own page... Embrace the stillness of eternity... Timeman 09:31, April 4, 2016 (UTC)
We decided some time ago that full remakes should have their own articles, but "remasters" can share. FFIV and FFIII 3D remakes thus should have their own pages, but alas...it'd a big project to undertake. It's easier for FFVII since we can just make them separate since the beginning.Keltainentoukokuu (talk) 11:44, April 4, 2016 (UTC)
So... the FFIII and FFIV for DS must have their own pages but anyone has started yet because of the lack of "recent information" and recent sources? Unfortunately, even having both remakes I don't think I could create any of the pages and do it better than a "sketch" (and I'm not a native English talker, so I would make a lot of writting mistakes :P). Thanks for answering n.n. How long I have waited, for this chance! Timeman 14:12, April 5, 2016 (UTC)
It's not just the game articles themselves but also enemy articles and equipment lists (I think these are already done for FFIV and FFIII though). That's a huge undertaking and too bad we did not do them separate since the start, since it's a bit unlikely anyone wants to take on that project. But at least with FFVIIR we can do the remake stuff as its own thing since the beginning.Keltainentoukokuu (talk) 16:04, April 5, 2016 (UTC)
Sony infodump today
https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2019/11/25/new-final-fantasy-vii-remake-screens-feature-moogles-weapon-abilities-materia-mini-games-and-more/ I'm writing this info into one of my Rants of the Moment, but there's good stuff in here. Bluestarultor BSA 20:59, November 25, 2019 (UTC)
Such a thing as too minor?
Hello all. I was planning on making pages for some of the smaller characters in this game, like Wymer or Katie, and I am still willing to do so but have a question: are these characters too minor to have their own pages? They don’t exist for much beyond giving quests, but they still have their own designs, voices, personalities etc. I just want to make sure what the limit or criteria is for side characters to have their own articles. Thanks! ColdRamenTPM (talk) 23:13, April 11, 2020 (UTC)
- I think such characters would get their own pages, in particular because they could have sections about quests given; see for example Randolph (Final Fantasy XV). Really the only reason we won't give a character is if their role were so minor they could be easily absorbed into a location page. The Article Creation Policy (which is out-of-date, so take with a grain of salt) says something similar. Cat (meow ∙ hunt) 23:20, April 11, 2020 (UTC)
- From playing the game, there is definitely enough to say about these characters to warrant at least a couple paragraphs, which is fine. The Final Fantasy VII Remake script page will need filling out to help research for them, though (if someone does that, I suggest we just completely ignore the random background NPCs and only include dialogue from when someone talks to them). So yes, definitely make the pages.-- Technobliterator TC 23:28, April 11, 2020 (UTC)
I'm new here but I can't help but notice that this page has a bit of shipping bias (including images of Tifa receiving flower and her resolution scene, but very little images of Aerith). I think this space should be as neutral as possible regarding the ship war. So can we either add images of both girls or remove these? For example, add pictures of Barret and Cloud's resolution scenes as well? The devs made it clear that they wanted to showcase both women equally and I think we should honor that and do the same here. ——Preceding unsigned comment was added by Mogmoogle (talk • contribs). Please sign your posts with ~~~~.
- "this page has a bit of shipping bias" - No, it doesn't. If you consider the usage of two Tifa images to be pushing a ship, that's your opinion, but it's a very heavily biased one. Most of the people who actively edit this content don't care about shipping and are not trying to push any ship in the mainspace content. There is nothing wrong with the content and images as they are now, and if the only reason being put forth on why they should be changed is for the sake of shipping representation either way, then that is not a good reason.
- PS - please remember to sign your posts on talk pages with four "~" symbols. DrakeyC (talk) 02:44, 23 July 2021 (UTC)
- What Drake said. None of us care about the shipping war, but we're also not going to go out of our way to remove images uploaded for the wiki to address a perceived bias. If you want to upload your own images of the woman as a kind of "counterbalance", though, then you're more than welcome to.-- Technobliterator TC 02:47, 23 July 2021 (UTC)
I think it does have bias because someone tried to add Aerith scenes before and they were taken down because of apparent "shipping bias". I'll add the other resolution scenes later but if they're taken down it proves my point. And there is no need to be rude, I am just stating that Tifa's resolution is included here and on Cloud's page but the Barret and Aerith scenes aren't. That speaks to a bias to me. Mogmoogle (talk) 21:09, 23 July 2021 (UTC)
- "I think it does have bias because someone tried to add Aerith scenes before and they were taken down because of apparent "shipping bias"." - Where was this? Point me to it and I'll have a look.
- "If they're taken down it proves my point." No it doesn't. You're projecting authorial intent onto the wiki and us that is not there. DrakeyC (talk) 21:48, 23 July 2021 (UTC)
- We already images of Aerith's resolution scene (could probably be reuploaded for Intergrade though). Barret's still needs one however. It can probably be included with multiple image. I'm pretty sure the reason why Cloud's page has only one resolution scene was just to save space.-- Technobliterator TC 22:00, 23 July 2021 (UTC)
Ok I'll leave this topic alone. But I definitely heard some things about some biases here. The resolution scene edits on this page were only made after I pointed out that only Tifa's scenes were included on the main page and Cloud's page. I'm not projecting, just noticed only one resolution scene was here before I made my comment. I don't understand why you're being so defensive because I mentioned that I want to keep things balanced. Mogmoogle (talk) 03:18, 24 July 2021 (UTC)
- "But I definitely heard some things about some biases here." - Well they're not true, but you evidently have already made up your mind not to believe us so I don't expect you to now, the third time we tell you there is no shipping bias here.
- "I don't understand why you're being so defensive" - You accused us of writing the page with a bias, and when two admins directly told you "we do not write with a shipping bias", you insisted that we did, so you're either assuming bad faith of us and/or you're calling us liars. We're being defensive because you're trying to create a problem where there isn't one and in doing so are calling the integrity of the staff into question and making broad accusations of edit warring over shipping without providing evidence for it. DrakeyC (talk) 04:49, 24 July 2021 (UTC)
- I know you had good intentions and wanted to come from a constructive place, so I'll just explain why we got defensive: in short, we as a community generally hate the shipping war. The wiki's basically been on the receiving end of drama (from both sides, btw) from it pretty much as long as the wiki's been around.
- My personal experience with the shipping community is just a load of vitriol and toxicity aimed at people that did nothing wrong. I'll give an example: I, as the writer of Tifa's page (she's one of my favorite characters of all time) had the page come under attack from Cloud x Tifa shippers who trashed it for making mention of the Maiden story, and attacked the page I'd written as biased and illegitimate or whatever. When you spend a lot of time writing and researching for a page on a character you love, hoping to do her and her fans justice, and then a portion of those fans come after you and attack you for it... it was just like, wtf dude.
- If you need more examples of how literally all shippers come at us with drama like this, there was also the time we got attacked for not pushing the Cloud x Jessie ship hard enough and for acknowledging that she probably did die at the end of VIIR. The shipping community, in my experience, spends just as much time reaching for slights against them as they do reaching for evidence of their ship being canon, so I'd be suspect of anyone who told you we had a bias or intentionally pushed a ship here.
- So I didn't really take the accusation well. I don't come here and spend hours writing these pages (I wrote the pages for Aerith, Cloud, and Barret too, btw) to then get attacked by shippers who come with claims I'm trying to push one thing or another. I do it because I love these characters and want to build an encyclopedia that they're worthy of.
- I didn't mean to personally attack or whatever (and I hope you didn't take it that way), but my reaction to the topic being brought up was just "ugh, this again".-- Technobliterator TC 05:11, 24 July 2021 (UTC)
I apologize for making this accusation. At first glance it looked like bias but clearly this is something you are trying to avoid. Thank you for being patient with me and explaining the situation Technobliterator. Thank you for being impartial and making the wiki a space without bias. Once again, I apologize for my accusation. Mogmoogle (talk) 11:13, 24 July 2021 (UTC)
- Adding a pic wasn't an unreasonable request though, so there is one now! We don't have a pic of Barret's resolution scene. YouTube screenshot is a possibility but those tend to come out poor quality, so if anyone wanted to contribute one it would be great! It's probably impossible to always write without any bias of any kind (which is why it helps to have multiple people contributing on the same page), but a "shipping bias" is probably the one we are the most aware of. It is always allowed to "touch up" something to make it more neutral, btw! So if you see anything.
- I contributed many of the early FFVIIR pics from my playthrough and got Tifa's scene, so originally we just had those and some YouTube screenshot from Aerith's that wasn't too blurry. Next time I played I tried to get Aerith's scene on purpose. Aerith's scene is mentioned last in the paragraph on the article because it is the longest with multiple sentences.Keltainentoukokuu (talk) 12:43, 24 July 2021 (UTC)
- You're all good! Like Kelt said, adding a pic wasn't unreasonable at all (I just don't think "shipping" was the best justification for it), and you're free to just make edits here and there to address things that appear to push one and not the other (just keep in mind there's a 99% chance it was accidental).-- Technobliterator TC 15:07, 24 July 2021 (UTC)