Enough expository banter!
- Please sign and date your posts by typing four tildes (
~~~~) or five in a talk bubble.
- Put new text under old text. Click here to start a new topic.
- Please read our Conduct guideline. In a nutshell: be polite, assume good faith.
- For general non-wiki discussion on this topic, feel free to discuss on Discord or Discussions.
Hello, there are some wrong informations about Steam and remastered. I'm Maki- a FFVIII reverse engineering working on it for quite a long time and:
in Steam tab:
- Background music has been optimized into OGG format
That is TOTALLY NOT TRUE- there's no OGG in Steam 2013 version- they got the music in OGG in remaster, not 2013 steam version. The steam still plays the /music/*.sgt DirectMusic6 segment files with DirectMusic- that was an issue when we were implementing the OpenVIII engine where the highly deprecated component we had to replace with fluidsynth. The only way the music is in OGG is to use FAN MOD called "Roses and wine" that intercepted the driver and played the OGG instead of SGT (midi)
every other is fine
in Remaster tab:
- Updated and rescaled backgrounds
That is awful LIE. They didn't do ANYTHING. Like ANYTHING! We got the backgrounds exported and they are the SAME damn file. They got field.fs repacked so they could include additional multi-language fields, but they are the same resolution, the same content- it looks different because they introduced SHADERS- specifically bilinear filtering.
- The full motion videos have been enhanced at 1080p, but still display at a 4:3 ratio.
That is also NOT TRUE. The movies are THE SAME as Steam version. Example codec dump: Complete name : D:\ff8_R\EXPORT\data\movies\disc00_00h.avi Format : Matroska Format version : Version 1 File size : 6.28 MiB Duration : 21 s 733 ms Video ID : 1 Format : VP8 Codec ID : V_MS/VFW/FOURCC / VP80 Duration : 21 s 733 ms Bit rate : 1 877 kb/s Width : 1 280 pixels Height : 896 pixels
they are 1280x896- they are the same .AVI files as in STEAM 2013. We got Switch version unpacked too and they are also the same files!!
Everything else is fine
- So you guys already found a way to extrack/repack the new files for the remaster? That's good to hear. This "Remaster" needs a lot of modding to really make it a real remaster. Monterossa (talk) 12:25, September 11, 2019 (UTC)
- Thanks for the corrections. It sucks they seem to have lost everything then.Keltainentoukokuu (talk) 15:28, September 11, 2019 (UTC)
WM low res texturesEdit
FFVIII PC 2013 (and I believe 1998) uses high-res and low-res textures on the World Map. Presumably the low-res textures are designed for when flying in the Ragnarok or when looking into the distance.
Except in said versions if you open your menu on the World Map the game switches to low-res textures. As far as I know the only way to go back to normal textures is to exit and reenter the World Map.