Enough expository banter!
- Please sign and date your posts by typing four tildes (
~~~~) or five in a talk bubble.
- Put new text under old text. Click here to start a new topic.
- Please read our Conduct guideline. In a nutshell: be polite, assume good faith.
- For general non-wiki discussion on this topic, feel free to discuss on Discord or Discussions.
An Official Name Edit
There is at least one official name for this type of quality on a weapon. FFXI calls it "Affinity", as seen here:
- Official name is always better than a made-up name (I'm really not good at coming up with names). Call this page "Elemental Affinity"?Keltainentoukokuu 02:29, January 1, 2011 (UTC)
But it's not officially called Elemental Affinity. It's just called Affinity, is it not? Does anything else in XI have Affinity? I know RW does, but that's easily fixed on the wiki. I mean, if there's also Sword Affinity and what-not for weapons, I can see Elemental Affinity working as a name, but I don't remember anything like that from my time playing the game. Far as I can see we should have Affinity (Revenant Wings) vs either plain Affinity or Affinity (Magic)/Affinity (Elemental).Dazuro 03:22, January 1, 2011 (UTC)
- Well, the picture has a picture of lightning in it. This basically means "Lightning Affinity +1". One can then therefore extrapolate that the basic name with no particular element involved would be "Elemental Affinity". I'm in support of changing the name to Elemental Affinity. Jimcloud 03:30, January 1, 2011 (UTC)
- Yeah, it's called "<Symbol> Affinity", but the symbols always represent elements. It's a reasonable compromise. There are other affinities in FFXI like "Beast Affinity", which increases the level cap on BST's jug pets, and "Chain Affinity"/"Burst Affinity", which allow blue magic to participate in the appropriate portion of a skillchain. These are aspects of jobs, though, while the "<Symbol> Affinity" is strictly an equipment property. BlueGoobbue • 03:35, January 1, 2011 (UTC)
- Fair enough. Were those other affinities not around I'd fight harder, but that makes it clear it's not just an elemental term. Dazuro 03:37, January 1, 2011 (UTC)
- If the term is changed to simply "Affinity", the Affinity page exists, as it is already a term in Revenant Wings. However, tags can be employed easily. I would support "Elemental Affinity", though we should probably still move the current Affinity page to Affinity (Revenant Wings), and make "Affinity" a disambig page. 8bit 03:44, January 1, 2011 (UTC)