Enough expository banter!
- Please sign and date your posts by typing four tildes (
~~~~) or five in a talk bubble.
- Put new text under old text. Click here to start a new topic.
- Please read our Conduct guideline. In a nutshell: be polite, assume good faith.
- For general non-wiki discussion on this topic, feel free to discuss on Discord or Discussions.
Kyuss is a band. True story. In Japan, that is "カイアス". IMO, better translation. Discuss. 188.8.131.52 23:40, September 15, 2011 (UTC)
And as noted in Etymology, "Kaia" is a Greek word. SE's translations are often inconsistent, that doesn't much help predict the English name of this character. Doreiku Kuroofangu 23:42, September 15, 2011 (UTC)
- Kyuss is actually an undead demigod from Dungeons & Dragons first. And Kaia has little to do with Kaias (Kaia is feminine for one). Shamtotto 23:43, September 15, 2011 (UTC)
- Interesting notes for Kyuss and Kaia, they can be added (EDIT - nevermind :p). But I stand by the original statement, SE is far from infallable with their usage of other languages. For example, one of our Admins is fluent in Latin and has made comments to the effect SE butchered it in Dissidia 012. Doreiku Kuroofangu 23:45, September 15, 2011 (UTC)
- カイアス is literally Kaiasu. There is a "Kyu" character in katakana, "キャ". Hence, "キュッス" or even "キャッス" would be much better writings for "Kyuss". - Henryacores^ 23:47, September 15, 2011 (UTC)
- edit: I apologize. "キュッス" is Kyussu and "キャッス" is Kyassu. - Henryacores^ 23:48, September 15, 2011 (UTC)
- Just wanted to point out, that the official Square Enix France YouTube page spells his name "Caius" on their official subbed trailers. http://www.youtube.com/user/SquareEnixFrance (you can see both the PS3 and 360 TGS trailers here with official French subs). It similarly "officially" shows "Yuru" to be "Yeul". Propose to move to something that is at least more official than what we have so far? Kupo Mog Talk 20:16, September 20, 2011 (UTC)
- Yeah, unless it's a French specific spelling, looks like everyone was wrong! :P .:. 10:42, September 21, 2011 (UTC)
English Voice ActorEdit
- Many do know it's Liam O'Brien voicing Caius in the English version. Still nothing on Caius's seiyuu(Japanese VA) though.184.108.40.206 05:39, September 21, 2011 (UTC)
- Thats what I was thinking - his voice sounds the exact same as Kain - this is almost a definate i would have thought. Shouldn't we post it up? Coolawits 15:25, September 26, 2011 (UTC)
- Edit conflict: And here we go again... We need reference - a link - in which it is OFFICIALLY stated that Mr. O'Brien is voicing Caius. Wikipedia and InternetMovieDatabase are not quite reliable (although the first cites its sources: it's just that our mods/admins for reason unknown to me don't accept Wikipedia). And guessing the voice is extremely silly as there are at least four rumoured voice actors for Noel. Kaimi (999,999 CP/5 TP) 15:32, September 26, 2011 (UTC)
Waiting for official announcement doesn't hurt anything. Even if it's a good guess, and may well be accurate, putting guesses on the list would open the door to put other guesses in as well, and we can't have a list where everybody just puts their best guess in.Keltainentoukokuu 17:31, September 26, 2011 (UTC)
We need reference - a link - in which it is OFFICIALLY stated that Mr. O'Brien is voicing Caius. Wikipedia and InternetMovieDatabase are not quite reliable (although the first cites its sources: it's just that our mods/admins for reason unknown to me don't accept Wikipedia)
It's very simple: Wikipedia is even less reliable than IMDB because it's more susceptible to vandalism and fanboyism. There is much less control there on this kind of information. - Henryacores^ 19:48, September 26, 2011 (UTC)
Some voice actors sound eeriely similar.... Not arguing just supporting the admins desire to wait. AmbieSushi 01:35, October 28, 2011 (UTC)
- From nowhere yet. It's a merge of Fang's fan name and her clan name with Caius's. - Henryacores^ 15:24, September 30, 2011 (UTC)
Uhh... should this really be in the trivia section, and not in the Story? 220.127.116.11 18:27, November 14, 2011 (UTC)Jadu
Am I the only one who's noticed the incredible similarity between Cais' Ragnarok and Nightmare's Soul Edge from the Soul Games, especially the Phantom Version? even if it was not intentional, shouldn't it be added in the Trivia section?——Preceding unsigned comment was added by The Second Lion Knight (talk • contribs). Please sign your posts with ~~~~.
I noticed this upon first seeing the trailer. A massive two handed sword with a glowin 'eye' may not seem like a big deal to some. But it definitely looks as if either the Soul Edge design inspired the Ragnarok look, or the artist basically snatched the idea and refitted it for an uniquely different plot and purpose. Either way, I feel it's more than justified to place this note in the trivia section at the very least. Wouldn't that sound fair? NtechG 06:10, December 10, 2011 (UTC)
I'd like to add to this. Where is it said that Caius' Sword is called Ragnarok. I've never seen it mentioned in game, and it seems that it would be a little careless in the writing department to have the sword and the importantplot point be named the same thing. So where is this information from? Jackstin 18.104.22.168 16:20, May 6, 2012 (UTC)
Article Name ChangeEdit
Dea Mortis, juravi,
Dea Mortis, servabo
ut tempora recte ducan
Etsi cor in Chao,
aut Fortuna bella ferat
Occurram et obviam ibo.
This is only a rough translation, can someone who is more fluent confirm it?
Goddess of Death (Death Goddess), I will keep my vow my beloved,
Goddess of Death (Death Goddess), I will watch over the time that is right
Though I am drawn by the heart of Chaos or beautiful Fortune, I shall bear it.
Those shall I meet and face.
The message is him essentially stating his loyalty to his job as Time Guardian, and though it may be somewhat of a burden, he must do his duty. Or something like that. 22.214.171.124 00:47, December 18, 2011 (UTC)
Thank you so much, this is a good translation. The one in the actual page is totally wrong and has bothered me for too long. These lyrics, in Latin, work like a sentence, so it's really hard to translate it line by line to make it fit, if you know what I mean. I've translated this with my teacher, and we came up with this:
"Goddess of Death, I vowed
Dearest of those protected (or saved), I will protect you.
As I will lead time straight
Even if there is a heart in Chaos
Even if fortune may bring wars
I will resist and will go against to fight it."
Some of these phrases can be translated in multiple ways, but these are the one's that made most sense, given the context of the game. And my credibility? I'm a Latin III student and I got my teacher to help. SquallRocks 01:26, February 23, 2012 (UTC)
Is it not talking about the personification of Fortune though? Or does it not matter that it is capitalised in Latin? I have zero qualifications in Latin, which shows in the translation (lol), so am just curious. Your translation does make more sense, BTW. I made the mistake of trying to translate it in segments, which obviously shows. And was thinking of the Italian "bella" rather than the "bellum". Damn. 126.96.36.199 15:21, February 24, 2012 (UTC)
The translation currently in the article makes the most sense out of the translations that have been on this site; the one who posted it must have been very good in Latin.
For future reference, the currently posted translation is:
Goddess of Death, I vowed
Those dear would be protected,
Goddess of Death, I will protect you,
As I lead time straight.
Even if there is a heart in Chaos,
Even if Fortune may bring wars,
I will resist and go to fight against it.
But there are two problems:
1) Carissiamam is singular: “the most dear woman.”
2) Servaturum is a future active participle: “about to protect.”
So to translate that line “Those most dear would be protected” messes with the number of the first word (singular to plural), and the voice of the second (active to passive).
To better translate this line, think of the sentence as missing a few words (which usually happens in Latin poems). The full sentence is: “Dea Mortis, iuravi carissiam [me] servaturum [esse].” In English, “Goddess of Death, I have vowed that I will protect the most dear one.” And this translation makes a lot of sense, since as a Guardian, Caius is bound to protect Yeul; to Caius, Yeul is the "most dear". (And, of course, that would mean that the unwritten object of servabo in the third line is Yeul, not Etro, making the third line "Goddess of Death, I will protect her.")
Sclauther 21:53, April 5, 2012 (UTC)
Soul Calibur reference or just an accident? Edit
I just started playing XIII-2 and noticed how much Caius resembles Nightmare from Soul Calibur series with the attacks, spiky-ish outlook, glowing eyes and (especially) a massive weapon with an eye (?) on it. If I hadn't known better, I could had guessed he was a SC character instead.
(It's a little far-fetched but I think Lightning sort of resembles Siegfried from the same series as Nightmare too, with her armor.)
Could this be just a coincidence?
LizKitty 18:56, February 27, 2012 (UTC)
- I always say "coincidence unless or until SE states otherwise" with situations like these. Jeppo (Talk | contribs) 18:58, February 27, 2012 (UTC)
- Make it even odder the NA release is the same day SCV came out, but like Jim said it all a coincidence. 20:32, February 27, 2012 (UTC)
Why Caius should appear in Lightning Returns Edit
Caius is my favourite bad guy and the reason why he should appear in Lightning Returns is because he would make a good final boss for the game.
looks like the article has a misunderstanding on the lightning retuns part Edit
Sirs,in the LR section,it says Caius still has the Heart of Chaos...but,on the trailer revealed today,Yeul said he lost his "undying heart".Could someone correct the article properly?Thanks!188.8.131.52 22:13, September 19, 2013 (UTC)
- Anyone can edit the articles here, so you are welcome to correct any mistakes you see. :) But thanks for letting us know.Keltainentoukokuu (talk) 23:33, September 19, 2013 (UTC)
This one's been bugging me for a while, but should the "Battle" section in this article be expanded to include Caius's abilities or should an entirely new section be created? (And I haven't seen anyone put that he can now summmon Bahamut rather than transform into it. I haven't done so myself because of the above issue I mentioned.) 184.108.40.206 10:11, September 21, 2013 (UTC) Sanokal
- It would be a separate section above the Battle section. Like in Emperor Mateus#Abilities.Keltainentoukokuu (talk) 12:12, September 21, 2013 (UTC)
Other Names Edit
Possible things to look forward too in Caius gets in the new dissidia Edit
Anyone getting an idea of how abusive Caius players could rampage if given the chance
Does Caius hold the distinction of being the only villain to achieve their goal and not have it undone by the heroes in their debut game? I know Kefka succeeded in destroying the world but it was reversed in the end. --FFfangirl (talk) 15:17, December 25, 2016 (UTC)