Enough expository banter!
- Please sign and date your posts by typing four tildes (
~~~~) or five in a talk bubble.
- Put new text under old text. Click here to start a new topic.
- Please read our Conduct guideline. In a nutshell: be polite, assume good faith.
- For general non-wiki discussion on this topic, feel free to discuss on Discord or Discussions.
Biskmatar etymology - "person without (a) destiny/fateless"?Edit
While it may be a rather interesting coincidence, a deliberate method of making sense of the odd title, or perhaps an unconfirmed truth (the latter less likely to happen), it's interesting to point out these few points.
The word "kismet", somewhat considered as a synonym for luck, fate or destiny, is present on other languages, including and apparently on the Serbo-Croatan language. Along with the word and prefix "bez", which apparently means "without (X)" or "-less", it may suggest something along the lines of "person without destiny", or "fateless person", or a related definition.
Now, considering Llednar Twem's...purpose and "destiny" (to protect Mewt), you may figure that the title, if the suggested definition is true, fits his existence. It may also ring some irony given the Law card that protects him, as well.
Could it be that Biskmatar may be based on a degeneration of "bez kismata" ("kismata" being, according to the Wiktionary, the genitive version of an alternate spelling for "kismet")? I can accept that it may be a coincidence that defaults into an attempt to make sense, but it may have a strong point.
Any people around here that may have a good grasp of Serbian, Croatan, or similar languages that contain these words?
- Hmm, seeing this odd job class pop up again made me want to finally figure out what it was. It seems the kana for job class is properly translated as Bisquamata, which is a type of carniverous plant of the bladderwort genus. The word itself is Latin for "two-scaled". I dunno what that has to do with Llednar, though. Maybe because he and Mewt ar two sides of the same being, a balancing act, like two scales? Espritduo (talk) 06:12, August 3, 2012 (UTC)
- It's a mystery, that's for sure. I'd be willing to buy the Latin root explanation since that's about a good of a theory as any I've heard, but it's still kinda interesting that this game has been out for almost 10 years and no one's been able to come up with anything that isn't really reaching. Matsuno probably thinks it's funny watching the fanbase squirm. Hummingway (talk) 03:34, August 6, 2012 (UTC)
Job Class page Edit
Hi I'm new in this wikia, so I don't really know the guidelines for Job Class pages, so...why a non-playable job like Biskmatar has its own, but other non-playable Job Classes (Battle Queen, PE Head, DJ, etc) doesn't ? I don't really see a difference between them and the Biskmatar, as both can't be used without cheat devices, yet all the others are integrated in their respective character pages (Lyle, Collins, etc.). PedroJJBA (talk) 04:23, October 12, 2013 (UTC)