Enough expository banter!
- Please sign and date your posts by typing four tildes (
~~~~) or five in a talk bubble.
- Put new text under old text. Click here to start a new topic.
- Please read our Conduct guideline. In a nutshell: be polite, assume good faith.
- For general non-wiki discussion on this topic, feel free to discuss on Discord or Discussions.
forshame. school for orphanes? were did you get this from? I want to see some hard faxts! I don't recall anything about Balamb Garden being a school for orphanes.
i've played Final Fantasy VIII several times and I've got a whole bunch of books based on the game.
(hay! why don't I just write this article?)
What I was gonna say... Edit
The last phrase needs to be re-phrased, but I can't remember how things work in the Garden. As it is now, it's grammatically not sound, since it implies that "New students take place in spring". --Hecko X 14:12, 13 January 2007 (UTC)
I've been trying to fix up all three Garden pages over the last few days so that they are not just complete but also somewhat uniform, using Balamb Garden's article as a base. I've rewritten much of it, so I believe that grammatical problem has been fixed. Also, although it isn't a school for orphans, many cadets are orphans, but I think that has now been made clear.
Nice job, thanks. As a sidenote, for the talk template you are using, where it says time, add five tilde to automatically add the correct hour and date, i.e. it should look like this:
that should save you a bit of time in the future (no pun intended). For more golden nuggets of knowledge (or something) like this, read your welcoming message.
The Battle of the Gardens Edit
Is there a page about this subject? If not then I'll start writing Balamb's side here.
This page is fucked up, too.
All fixed. Thanks!
If that's the case I'll go apply the changes to the other pages and see how they go.
This article mentions the "Gaulg Mountains". Is this a mistranslation of Mount Gulug/Gulg/etc? What's the Japanese name? The mountains don't have an article of their own, and I dunno if it's even worth mentioning here as a sidenote, but I'm curious now.
It's name in Japanese is グアルグ山脈 (Guarugu Yamanami). Prolly just a little trivia Square placed in. They do like to put small references like these in their games.
Biggest Garden Edit
why does the article say that Balamb Garden is the biggest garden? Galbadia IS the biggest one.
Love it! Edit
I love everything about Balamb Garden from it's look when stationary to it's look when it is mobile. I think Balamb Garden should return to being a stationary school on Balamb Island though.
Trivia Section Edit
It mentions in the the triva that "Ellone can be encountered in the Library before she gets taken away by the White SeeD Ship." I thought this was part of the main storyline and you had to find her to proceed, of course that is what I've always done and never really tried otherwise so I might be wrong. --184.108.40.206 20:19, March 22, 2011 (UTC)
- It means you can find her there before you must find her in the story. I think it's literally only just about before you've told to go find her though, so I don't know if this is so appropriate a trivia. Keltainentoukokuu 01:09, March 23, 2011 (UTC)
Quistis Card Edit
This card can be attained from ANY of the Trepe Groupies, not just the one in the cafeteria. It is not assigned to any one of them, but once acquired from any of them, none of them will have it. I do not know if seeing one of them use it and not winning will lock that card into that groupie, but im pretty sure they share a common pool. 220.127.116.11 10:21, October 12, 2011 (UTC)
Open the valve Edit
Just wanted to share my new findings:
- Nice find. There should probably be an MD Level article here that could go into more detail on that.Keltainentoukokuu (talk) 01:21, April 8, 2018 (UTC)
Don’t use geography when describing man made structures. Edit
Here’s my logic for this instance:
- The term “geography” comes from the Greek for “Earth-writing”. As generally used, it refers to a location’s relative position on land, esp. as relates to the rest of the world. Thus, the only real “geography” is in the first paragraph, which tells the reader where this Garden is. Nothing else fits.
- If you want to discuss the actual terrain, the “lay of the land”, that’s “topography”. None of the established content points there, either.
- I had trouble coming up with a term that more accurately describes listed elements. “Floor plan” almost works, but it’s quite awkward in prose.
- Looking at what was being discussed in this specific instance calls for something like “Details”. If that is not desired, find a term that works. It is NOT geography as we should perceive such.
- Remember, please, that we are not all British, or American, or [insert name of another Anglophone here], but we must account for and be respectful of the connotations of words that we all use.
In short, geography as a term can be used to describe the location of the structure, but not its design or features. We probably should find something else to describe man-made structures and devices that exist within a given world. Any ideas? Swordzmanp236 (talk) 01:12, January 15, 2020 (UTC)
- Replace the word "Geography" with "Layout" for these structures and then keep the rest as it is. "Details" and "Location" are far too ambiguous to work as headers.-- Technobliterator (TC) 01:23, January 15, 2020 (UTC).
- Done. Here’s another issue I see: this article (and maybe some others as well) doesn’t exactly follow conventional reading logic and could use some reordering of sections. We’ve got Garden the Institution mixed up with Garden the Building AND the layout is better a part of the profile of the place than its code of conduct is. Technically, we can’t edit past an H4 without going through the whole article. So, WWYD? Swordzmanp236 (talk) 01:55, January 15, 2020 (UTC)
- The Profile section should be used for information about the Garden as the institution. Layout is used to describe the specific areas (right now it's also used for gameplay, but tbh I still think we should just separate Layout/Geography from Gameplay entirely, and will propose that after doing some more VII locations). Vehicle can stay in the section it currently has. To be honest, this one will always be tricky because the Balamb Garden is so many things at once.-- Technobliterator (TC) 02:04, January 15, 2020 (UTC)