Enough expository banter!
- Please sign and date your posts by typing four tildes (
~~~~) or five in a talk bubble.
- Put new text under old text. Click here to start a new topic.
- Please read our Conduct guideline. In a nutshell: be polite, assume good faith.
- For general non-wiki discussion on this topic, feel free to discuss on Discord or Discussions.
Moving this info to Rinoa's character page. I recommend deleting this page.
No idea if this should be actually be included as its only one battle without cheating but Apocalypse is also cast in this.
Most Used Spell[edit source]
I've noticed that Rinoa will use the first attack spell in her magic list the most often in Angel Wing mode.
- Angel Wing misses if she has the Invincibility status.
- Invincibility misses if she has the Angel Wing status.
- I think the latter statement is wrong. I'll load up my emulator and have a look for you. EDIT- I used a Hero on Rinoa, then attempted to cast Aura on her, which missed. But then in another battle I had her use Angel Wing first. A Hero worked on her this time. So I was right, the latter statement is wrong. Tia-Lewise 19:08, April 27, 2013 (UTC)
Assuming FFLTNS is correct, then this needs to be moved to "Angel Wing (Limit)" to differentiate it from the TNS ability.
Ultimania desc[edit source]
Japanese name[edit source]
So my first thought when looking at the Japanese name (after "wut?") was that it could be shortened from "Valkyrie". Then I went to GT and translated Valkyrie to Japanese and got "ワルキューレ" so I dismissed it. But I was looking in the VIII Ultimania index and Valkyrie was there, ヴァルキリー, -- because it's one of Rinoa's weapons. The wings fit the image of the Valkyrie, although removing the middle sounds of a word seems like a strange idea to me. Maybe they mixed it with another word like "Fairy".
The katakana could be for Valley, but that's unlikely the intention because ヴァレー would be the common Japanese, and also has nothing to do with this.
ffdic suggests "vary". "ヴァリ" is "vary", although リー for the last sound would make more sense to me (although to me it would make more sense that the first sound was ヴェー, but whatever). The rationale is to do with the idea of "changing" (into a sorceress), which "vary" is sort-of linked to, but not really. Unless you're Japanese and misusing an English word because it sounds cool.
- Maybe it comes from "vary" like the variants of magic she can cast and "volley" (even if the katakana is different) because in "Magic-Berserk" mode she will constantly cast spells. Mierna 12:20, July 10, 2018 (UTC)
- Yeah, sounds like Angel Wing (limit) is the the most appropriate tag here. The names of the 8 and TnS are different in Japanese. FFVIII being ヴァリー and Toki no Suisho being エンジェルウィング. --Miphares (talk) 23:52, April 16, 2016 (UTC)
Why is "Limit" lowercase??? It should be uppercase in this case I think. Unless that's something that was already discussed and decided on?