Synergists employ a wide range of abilities to enhance their allies' effectiveness in combat.Primers: Battle
Being in the Synergist role boosts the status enhancements' duration and the bonus is boosted further by having more Synergists in the current formation. The amount of bonus depends on the role level. A character can have maximum of eight status enhancements at one time.
The player earns the Synergist's Seal achievement after learning all the abilities and reaching level 5 for the Synergist role of a single character. This can only be achieved after defeating the final boss to unlock Stage 10 of the Crystarium.
- When choosing targets, Synergist usually bestows status effects to each player one at a time. For example, if a Synergist wants to place all party members under Haste and Shell, they will first cast Haste on each character, then Shell, one at a time.
- Synergists nearly always cast one spell per turn, even when they have at least four ATB gauge segments (they will occasionally cast Faith and Bravery together when they have at least four ATB gauge segments).
- If they have access to the spell, Synergists always start by casting Haste on each party member. They will always begin by casting Haste on themselves, then the user-controlled character, followed by the third party member.
- Once Haste is in place, Synergists bestow status effects depending on what the enemy intel notes say for the enemies they are fighting. Below is a list of possible notes, and the status effect(s) the Synergist will cast in reply to each note.
- "Delivers devastating physical attacks." - Protect or Protectra
- "Executes powerful magic attacks." - Shell or Shellra
- "Employs powerful fire-based attacks." - Barfire
- "Employs powerful ice-based attacks." - Barfrost
- "Employs powerful lightning-based attacks." - Barthunder
- "Employs powerful water-based attacks." - Barwater
- "Capable of inflicting Debrave." - Veil and either Bravery or Bravera
- "Capable of inflicting Defaith." - Veil and either Faith or Faithra
- "Capable of inflicting Deprotect." - Veil and either Protect or Protectra
- "Capable of inflicting Deshell." - Veil and either Shell or Shellra
- "Capable of inflicting Curse." - Veil and Vigilance
- "Capable of inflicting Pain/Fog/Slow/Daze/Poison/Imperil/Instant KO." - Veil
- "Susceptible to Curse and effects of Vigilance." - Vigilance
- "Vulnerable to fire damage." - Enfire
- "Vulnerable to ice damage." - Enfrost
- "Vulnerable to lightning damage." - Enthunder
- "Vulnerable to water damage." - Enwater
- "Vulnerable to physical attacks." - Bravery or Bravera
- "Vulnerable to magic attacks." - Faith or Faithra
- As opposed to Final Fantasy X, where multiple Nul- states could be stacked, only one En- and one Bar- status can be on one ally in Final Fantasy XIII.
- Once all status effects are added in accordance to the enemies' notes, the Synergist observes the enemy's elemental weaknesses to fire, ice, lightning and water. If any of these elements are labeled as a weakness, the Synergist will respectively cast Enfire, Enfrost, Enthunder or Enwater. Similarly, if the enemies are labeled as being weak against physical or magical attacks, the Synergist will respectively cast Bravery/Bravera or Faith/Faithra. This step is skipped if characters are already under these status effects.
- Next, Protect/Protectra, Shell/Shellra and Veil are applied to each character, if they do not already have them.
- Finally Vigilance, Bravery/Bravera and Faith/Faithra are applied. For these status effects, the Synergist applies all these status effects on one ally, then apply them to other allies. If the Synergist has at least four ATB gauges, they may cast two of these spells in one turn.
- If all characters are under all the status effects the Synergist can bestow, or they have reached the maximum of eight bestowed status effects, the Synergist will no longer take action until at least one of the status effects expires.
Below are the Crystarium Levels when each character can advance in role level.
The Synergist's role bonus increases the duration of all status afflictions which target the party. If there is more than one Synergist in the party, the bonus factor is the sum of all applicable Synergist role bonuses. The role bonus is not contributed if the party member is incapacitated, and when summoning an Eidolon, only the party leader's role bonuses count.
Stock a set of commands focused on strengthening allies.Description
|Raise target's Strength.|
Increases physical power by 40%. Base duration: 150 sec.
|Significantly raise target's Strength for a short time.|
Increases physical power by 80%. Base duration: 30 sec.
|Raise target's Magic.|
Increases magical power by 40%. Base duration: 150 sec.
|Significantly raise target's Magic for a short time.|
Increases magical power by 80%. Base duration: 30 sec.
|Accelerate target's ATB gauge recharge rate.|
Increases speed at which ATB gauge is filled by 50%. Base duration: 90 sec.
|Boost target's odds of interrupting actions and avoiding interruption of own.|
Increases the chance of interrupting the opponent's actions when attacking and lowers the chances of interruption from the opponent. Base duration: 90 sec.
|Add fire attribute to target's COM, RAV, SEN, or SAB attacks.|
All attacks gain a fire-elemental attribute. Base duration: 180 sec
|Add ice attribute to target's COM, RAV, SEN, or SAB attacks.|
All attacks gain an ice-elemental attribute. Base duration: 180 sec
|Add lightning attribute to target's COM, RAV, SEN, or SAB attacks.|
All attacks gain a lightning-elemental attribute. Base duration: 180 sec
|Add water attribute to target's COM, RAV, SEN, or SAB attacks.|
All attacks gain a water-elemental attribute. Base duration: 180 sec
|Raise target's physical resistance.|
Increases resistance to physical damage by 33%. Base duration: 150 sec
|Significantly raise target's physical resistance for a short time.|
Increases resistance to physical damage by 50%. Base duration: 30 sec
|Raise target's magic resistance.|
Increases resistance to magical damage by 33%. Base duration: 150 sec
|Significantly raise target's magic resistance for a short time.|
Increases resistance to magical damage by 50%. Base duration: 30 sec
|Raise target's fire resistance.|
Increases resistance to fire-elemental damage by 50%. Base duration: 90 sec
|Raise target's ice resistance.|
Increases resistance to ice-elemental damage by 50%. Base duration: 90 sec
|Raise target's lightning resistance.|
Increases resistance to lightning-elemental damage by 50%. Base duration: 90 sec
|Raise target's water resistance.|
Increases resistance to water-elemental damage by 50%. Base duration: 90 sec
|Raise target's status ailment resistance.|
Increases resistance to status ailments by 50%. Base duration: 90 sec
|Extend duration of target's existing status enhancements upon bestowing new ones.|
When a character successfully inflicts a status enhancement on an ally, any status enhancements already on the ally will have their remaining length of duration increased by 5 seconds.
If hacked, Hand Grenade and the Potion ability are fully functional and work as intended. Hand Grenade and Potion can manually be selected from the Abilities command.
|Hand Grenade||2||Deal physical damage to targets in range.|
|Restores a small amount of HP to all allies.|
Status effect durationEdit
Status effect duration is calculated by the following formula:
- Base Duration * Chain Bonus + (MA of the caster / 100)
The Chain Bonus in the formula refers to the target's chain value. When using roles that target allies, such as the Synergist and Medic, the player may notice that allies, as well as enemies, also have a chain gauge. This chain does not fill when being attacked by enemies, however, but is used solely for Medic's healing spells' and Synergist's spells' calculations. Hope's weapon skills Defense Maintenance and Defense Maintenance II also increase status enhancement duration.
The characters use their Synergist spells.
- Ability Cards
- Legend Cards
Behind the scenesEdit
In an early trailer for the English version characters had initials "AUG" in purple as their paradigm role. It can be assumed the Synergist role was originally referred to as "Augmenter."
Synergy is the creation of a whole that is greater than the simple sum of its parts. The term synergy comes from the Attic Greek word συνεργία synergia from synergos, συνεργός, meaning "working together".A synergist is a substance, organ, or other agent that participates in an effect of synergy.