Final Fantasy Wiki
Advertisement

A warrior who may Summon the most powerful of spirits, the beings known as espers.

Description

Summoner is a job in Final Fantasy Tactics unlocked by achieving level 3 in Time Mage. A strong, magickal job, the Summoner can call forth espers to deal massive damage to all enemies, or aid allies. In the original version, it requires 9,710 JP to master. In The War of the Lions, it requires 9,800 JP. However, the Summoner can also learn its summon abilities by being hit by an enemy's summon: to truly master the job, the unit must have been attacked by a Darkening Cloud.

In the War of the Lions, leveling Summoner to level 5, along with separate level requirements from Squire, Chemist, Orator, Geomancer, and Dragoon, will unlock Mime. Leveling the job to level 5 as well as Orator will unlock the Bard job for males. The job unlock level requirements are a little lower in the PlayStation version.

Stats[]

Prerequisite Weapons Helmet Armor Equip Shields?
Lv. 3 Time Mage Rods, Staves Hats Robes No
Move Rate Jump Rate Speed Physical Evasion Rate Base Attack Base Magic Base HP Base MP
3 3 8 5% Low High Low High

Abilities[]

Summon[]

Summoner job command. Calls forth espers from the highest realms of the spirit world.

Description

Leviathan has a 40% chance of randomly being learned in battle by a Summoner who has not yet learned it and is not KO'd by it, or absorbs at least 1 HP worth of damage. Nullifying the damage does not count. Salamander has a 30% chance of being learned, while Odin, Bahamut, and Lich have a 20% chance of being learned. Cyclops has a 10% chance of being learned, and Zodiark has a 90% chance of being learned. Only one person can learn the summon per casting.

Name MP Cost Range Effect Speed JP Needed
Moogle
(Mogri)
8 4 3 34 110
Moogle Charm. An esper that soothes injuries with a purifying breeze, restoring HP.
Healing: (12 x Magic Attack) x (Faith/100) x (TargetFaith/100)
Quote: "Kupo! Round and round you go! Moogle!"
Shiva 24 4 3 25 200
Glacial Shards. An esper with punishingly frigid breath.
Element: Ice.
Damage: (24 x Magic Attack) x (Faith/100) x (TargetFaith/100)
Quote: "Wind, fade to silence and light, give us power! Shiva!"
Ramuh 24 4 3 25 200
Judgment Bolt. An esper that relentlessly rains down lightning.
Element: Lightning.
Damage: (24 x Magic Attack) x (Faith/100) x (TargetFaith/100)
Quote: "Master of creation, impart thy help! Ramuh!"
Ifrit 24 4 3 25 200
Infernal Blaze. An esper whose breath of flame scorches the battlefield.
Element: Fire.
Damage: (24 x Magic Attack) x (Faith/100) x (TargetFaith/100)
Quote: "King of flames, burn into cinders! Ifrit!"
Titan 30 4 3 20 220
Gaia's Wrath. An esper that levels the earth with a mighty blow.
Element: Earth.
Damage: (28 x Magic Attack) x (Faith/100) x (TargetFaith/100)
Quote: "Bear down with land energy! Titan!"
Golem 40 All allies 34 500
Earthen Wall. An esper that absorbs damage from physical attacks on behalf of allies until its limit is reached.
Success Rate: (200 + Magic Attack) x (Faith/100) x (TargetFaith/100)
Quote: "Earth-minded soul, protect us! Golem!"
Carbuncle
(Carbunkle)
30 4 3 25 350
Ruby Light. An esper whose ruby light reflects magicks cast on allies.
Effect: Reflect.
Success Rate: (150 + Magic Attack) x (Faith/100) x (TargetFaith/100)
Quote: "Impart light to fight our holy war! Carbunkle!"
Bahamut 60 4 4 10 1600
Megaflare. An esper that attacks with its fearsome breath.
Damage: (46 x Magic Attack) x (Faith/100) x (TargetFaith/100)
Quote: "Scorch with dragon flame! Bahamut!"
Odin 50 4 4 12 900
Obliteration. An esper that charges through the battlefield astride a fearsome mount, doing great damage.
Damage: (40 x Magic Attack) x (Faith/100) x (TargetFaith/100)
Quote: "Slash away with the Land's fury! Odin!"
Leviathan 48 4 4 12 850/860
Tidal Wave. An esper that engulfs the battlefield in a massive tidal wave.
Element: Water.
Damage: (38 x Magic Attack) x (Faith/100) x (TargetFaith/100)
Quote: "Sea fang, attack with water's power! Leviathan!"
Salamander 48 4 3 12 820/860
Wyrmfire. An esper that scorches the battlefield with its savage flames.
Element: Fire.
Damage: (38 x Magic Attack) x (Faith/100) x (TargetFaith/100)
Quote: "Evil flames, entrust your power to us! Salamander!"
Sylph
(Silf)
26 4 3 20 400
Whispering Wind. An esper that employs the lingering life force of windswept leaves to silence enemies.
Effect: Silence.
Success rate: (150 + Magic Attack) x (Faith/100) x(TargetFaith/100)
Quote: "Show us to put our lives back on track! Silf!"
Faerie
(Fairy)
28 4 3 25 460/400
Fey Light. An esper that restores HP.
Healing: (24 x Magic Attack) x (Faith/100) x (TargetFaith/100)
Quote: "Shiny crystal light, energize! Fairy!"
Lich
(Rich)
40 4 3 12 600
Descending Darkness. An esper born in, of, and to darkness. Deals out devastating dark damage.
Element: Dark.
Damage: 50% of Target's Max HP
Success Rate: (160 + Magic Attack) x (Faith/100) x (TargetFaith/100)
Quote: "Death song, death door, death river awaiting! Rich!"
Cyclops 62 4 3 12 1000
Climactic Fear. An esper whose forceful blows tear the battlefield asunder.
Damage: (50 x Magic Attack) x (Faith/100) x (TargetFaith/100)
Quote: "Scatter frozen blades of air! Clops!"
Zodiark
(Zodiac)
99 4 4 10
Darkening Cloud. An esper that bathes the earth in radiant beams of focused starlight.
Damage: (96 x Magic Attack) x (Faith/100) x (TargetFaith/100)
Quote: "Attack by the Master of commandments! Zodiac!"
Note: Must be cast on the Summoner to learn it (or learned by casting it on an enemy summoner and learning it from their crystal). Elidibus at the bottom of the Midlight's Deep summons Zodiark against the player.

Reaction abilities[]

Name Description Trigger JP Needed
Critical: Recover MP
(MP Restore)
Recover MP when critically wounded. Critical 400

Support abilities[]

Name Description JP Needed
Halve MP
(Half of MP)
Reduce MP consumption by half when using magicks. 900/1000

Overview[]

Bahamut.

The Summoner is a hybrid offensive and defensive magick job focused on calling forth various creatures to help their allies and strike their foes. While summons are less powerful than Black Magick, they have selective targeting, meaning offensive summons will only damage enemies, while support summons will only affect allies. The Summoner boasts the second highest magick and MP attributes in the game after the Black Mage, but has low defensive stats. The Summoner is one of two jobs capable of dealing water damage, through Leviathan, the other being Geomancer with Torrent (Water Ball).

Halve MP.

While Summoner can be used as a main job, switching to Black Mage and equipping Summon further boosts the unit's magicks. However, to learn new espers from enemy summoners, the affected unit needs to be a Summoner at the time the attack hits them; due to summons' selective targeting, only offensive summons can be learned by being hit with their attack. Like all spellcasters, the Summoner greatly benefits from the Time Mage's Swiftness support ability to shorten their cast times, and can also use the Mystic's Manafont to remedy their abilities' high MP costs. The Summoner also learns the useful Halve MP, which both helps its own casting, and is useful for any other spellcasting job.

Other appearances[]

Final Fantasy Artniks[]

Final Fantasy Airborne Brigade[]

Some of the summon commands appear.

Ability Cards
Legend Cards
Impresario-ffvi-ios.pngThis section in Final Fantasy Airborne Brigade is empty or needs to be expanded. You can help the Final Fantasy Wiki by expanding it.

Final Fantasy Record Keeper[]

Baknamy FFTA2.pngThis section about an enemy in Final Fantasy Record Keeper is empty or needs to be expanded. You can help the Final Fantasy Wiki by expanding it.

Final Fantasy Trading Card Game[]

Summoner appears in Final Fantasy Trading Card Game as Ice- and Lightning-elemental backup cards.

Non-Final Fantasy guest appearances[]

Knights of the Crystals[]

KotC Summoner.png

Summoner appears as a card in the Ivalice Special Arena has a limited-time special arena with eighteen floors.

Gallery[]

Etymology[]

Evocation is the act of calling upon or summoning a spirit, demon, god or other supernatural agent, in the Western mystery tradition. Comparable practices exist in many religions and magical traditions and may employ the use of mind-altering substances with and without uttered word formulas.

The summons in the original version were simply called summon monsters, but were renamed espers in The War of the Lions.

In fiction, an esper (stylized as ESPer) is an individual capable of telepathy and other similar paranormal abilities. The term was apparently coined in this sense by Alfred Bester in his 1950 short story "Oddy and Id" and is derived from the abbreviation ESP for extrasensory perception.

Advertisement