The Study Panel is a computer terminal in Final Fantasy VIII used for school purposes. Students can access these terminals for information about the Garden and/or their studies. The system is Garden-wide and also provides forums for chatting or even public home-pages depending on the faculty's say-so.
Balamb Garden Study Panels
The tutorial in the Study Panel is almost exactly the same as the help option in the main menu. It explains the game controls, terms and symbols encountered during the game. As a reward for looking at the Guardian Force page, the player will receive two GFs—Quezacotl and Shiva, and an explanation regarding GF powers.
- 'Magic' used by ordinary people is actually 'para-magic'. In essence, it is a technique which involves controlling energy.
- 'Para-magic' was developed by Dr. Odine. He was the first scientist to research the nature of magic by studying a sorceress.
- The skill can be gained by proper training. However, with magic, it is difficult to achieve power levels that are comparable to conventional weapons.
- [GF (Guardian Force)]
- A GF is an independent energy force. By combining it with para-magic, it is possible to control tremendous energy. Memory loss is a possible side effect, but this has not been proven as of yet.
- [Sorceress and Magic]
- A woman who has inherited the power of a sorceress. The origins of the sorceress go back to ancient times during Hyne's reign. However, there is no factual evidence.
Features the Garden rules as well as info on the three Garden institutions and the basics of the SeeD mercenary program.
- Students should be in their seats and waiting for the instructors 5 minutes before class.
- When class is over, proceed quietly to your next class.
- Food, weapons and magic are prohibited.
- Study panels are shared. Handle with care.
- Training Center
- Proceed with caution. There are real monsters in the training center.
- It is open 24 hours. Entering the grounds for reasons other than training is prohibited.
- Do not engage in battles beyond your abilities.
- Visit the infirmary if you have and health concerns or problems.
- No items may be taken from the infirmary without permission.
- Follow the doctor's instructions.
- Resident Physician: Doctor Kadowaki.
- Open Hours
- 9:00 a.m.–lights out.
- Library Usage
- All materials are open to the public. You may check out materials at the desk.
- Remain quiet at all times.
- Everybody is welcome to apply.
- SeeDs have priority for single rooms.
- Going out after-hours for reasons other than training is prohibited.
- Do not leave personal possessions in common areas.
- Open Hours
- 9:00 a.m.–9:00 p.m.
- Keep the area clean.
- If late-night meals are required, order them beforehand.
- Garden Precepts
- Work hard
- Study hard
- Play hard
- In general, there is no dress code in Balamb Garden. However, dress accordingly if instructed to do so by your superiors.
- Reward and Punishments
- The headmaster presents official commendations to outstanding students.
- Students who engage in violent acts, sexual promiscuity, or who fall behind in their curriculum, etc. may be expelled from Garden.
- The skills acquired in the Garden must never be used for personal gain.
- Refrain from committing any acts that may damage the Garden's reputation.
- Take time to think things through before starting a relationship.
- Procedures in case of an emergency: If you are on 2F, use the emergency exit next to the classroom. If you are on 1F, exit through the front gate.
- All students must take care of junior classmen during emergencies.
- Do not use the lift during an emergency.
- Evening Outings
- All students should be in their dorm rooms after-hours unless at the training center.
Admission & Graduation Info
- Applicants between ages 5–15 are admitted.
- All hard-working and confident youths are welcome.
- Ambitious overachievers are also welcome.
- Applicants are admitted only after passing a final interview.
- Must be between 15–19 years of age.
- One must have all the required skills and knowledge taught through the Garden courses.
- One must have the headmaster's approval to graduate.
- At age 20, regardless of graduation all students are released from the Garden.
- Opportunities for Alumni
- The Garden supports a program that helps graduates enlist in armies all over the world.
- Instructors are SeeDs are permitted to remain at the Garden. However, SeeDship must be attained before the age of 20.
- About Balamb Garden
- Balamb Garden Headmaster
- Balamb Garden Proprietor
- Balamb Garden was the first Garden built in accordance with Headmaster Cid's ideals and dreams.
- About Trabia Garden
- A Garden in the Trabia region. There is an exchange program between Trabia and Balamb Garden.
- About Galbadia Garden
- A Garden in the Galbadia Republic. It is the largest Garden of the three. Galbadia Garden's master, Martine, who is also the headmaster, has setup a program to recruit Balamb graduates into the Galbadian Army.
- What is a SeeD?
- Balamb Garden's mercenaries. Commanding GF, they have special fighting abilities. They work hard in small teams and operate all over the world.
- Dispatching SeeDs
- SeeDs are deployed all over the world. Their services are requested by governments and even civilians. Their tasks range from providing military
support to protecting civilians.
- Qualifications for SeeD
- Students can apply after the age of 15. Passing the written test and completing an official mission are required to become a SeeD. SeeDs are paid according to rank.
A Message From Garden
Garden Events: Contains chronographs indicating the Garden's major events during the year. Also contains announcements by the cafeteria, disciplinary and library committees.
- Garden Events
- Spring Memorial Service
- Entrance Ceremony
- SeeD Exam (Written/Field)
- Summer Garden Festival
- Summer Vacation
- Autumn Student-Sponsored Event
- Winter Winter Vacation
- Cafeteria Announcements
- The competition for the hot dogs and meals is really getting out of hand. We are doing our best to provide everyone with enough food, so please be patient and conduct yourselves in an orderly fashion. Thank you. As you well know, magic and weapons are prohibited inside the cafeteria.
- Disciplinary Committee Announcements
- Follow all disciplinary committee rules. This applies to junior classmen, too.
- Do not bring animals inside the Garden.
- Report seeing any unusual bugs in the Garden.
- Do not litter.
- Library Committee Announcements
- The following materials are overdue. Please return them to the library immediately.
- "Insect Guidebook (Color Edition)"
- "Goodbye Pupurun"
- The following requested materials have arrived.
- "Edible Flowers"
- "Turbine Engines (Revised Edition)"
- "We Meet Again, Pupurun"
- "The Sorceress' Knight (Scenario Edition)"
Functions as a sort of public message board for the students. After Squall is appointed commander, it features messages from students cheering him on.
The School Festival Committee
A section for the School Festival Committee to post announcements and student related material. Selphie Tilmitt, after becoming the Committee's sole member, revamps the page to become a kind of public diary and narration on game events.
- Garden Festival Committee
Selphie writes about the current state of the festival, requesting new members and expresses her hopes for future festivals.
- Hi! My name is Selphie Tilmitt! I just transferred here from Trabia Garden. I was on the Garden Festival Committee there, so I'm excited to join... But...there's no one on the committee here. So I guess that makes me the chair! As the Garden Festival chair, I plan to make full use of this page.
- So, here we go!
- Who wants to be on the Garden Festival Committee? C'mon everyone, join! Let's all work together make the Garden Festival a success! (Personally I want to have a concert! What do you all think?)
- I guess it wasn't meant to be, this time, but there'll be a Garden Festival next year, and the year after that and on and on! So... We're still looking for new members!
- (It's not like I've given up on this one yet!)
- My Friends
Selphie gets the main characters (except for Squall) to each write a little message on this page, featuring her own comments as well.
- My Diary
Selphie writes about the game's story and events as it progresses from her perspective, sharing her outlook on them, opinions, worries, concerns, thoughts and feelings, effectively creating a chronicle of the game's events.
- Sir Laguna's Page
Other Study Panels
- In the remnants of Trabia Garden, a partially working computer panel and screen can be turned on to access Selphie's personal information. She will quickly arrive to turn it off.
- The dorm rooms in Galbadia Garden feature personal Study Panels.