I'm afraid the jury's still out on that one.
Stranger of Paradise Final Fantasy Origin is an upcoming action RPG title in the Final Fantasy series developed by Team Ninja, set to release in 2022. Revealed on 13 June 2021 at the Square Enix Presents digital presentation for that year's E3, Stranger of Paradise follows Jack, Ash and Jed in their quest to defeat Chaos as Warriors of Light.
A limited time demo, titled Stranger of Paradise Final Fantasy Origin Trial Version, was released the same day as the reveal, exclusively on PlayStation 5. However, the demo was "corrupt and unplayable" at the time of release, with Square Enix promising they would resolve the issue. Two days later the issue was resolved with a patch and the demo time was extended to compensate for it.
Stranger of Paradise features an action heavy battle system, that is said to "link to the story". The player controls Jack, who can change Jobs and equip 8 different kinds of weapons and features a party that consists of 3 characters at a time. Party members' equipment can be changed and customised.
Set in a "dark fantasy world", Jack and his companions claim to be Warriors of Light, though they harbor doubts about their place in the prophecy. The world is based on concepts from the first Final Fantasy game, but does not take place in that world.
- Jack, the player character, whose goal is to kill Chaos.
- Ash, one of Jack's companions.
- Jed, one of Jack's companions.
- Garland, a knight that journeyed to the Chaos Shrine prior to the party with the same goal that now claims to have become Chaos.
Tetsuya Nomura came up with the concept for Stranger of Paradise around the time after the release of Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy, and united that concept with a series of Final Fantasy games he was ideating that were focused around "the story of an angry man". Nomura considered it a challenge to find a middle ground for the title, between "mature" and "stylish".
During development the team was unsure if they should allow players to direct party members and influence their growth, but would make that decision based on feedback from the demo. There was a thought among the development team of having only Jack in combat, but it was decided against as they felt the concept of a party was integral to the Final Fantasy series.
|Creative Producer||Tetsuya Nomura|
|Story and Scenario||Kazushige Nojima|
|Character Design||Tetsuya Nomura|
|Producer (Square Enix)||Jin Fujiwara|
|Director (Square Enix)||Daisuke Inoue|
|Producer (Koei Tecmo Games)||Fumihiko Yasuda|
|Director (Koei Tecmo Games)||Hiroya Usuda|
|Director (Koei Tecmo Games)||Nobumichi Kumabe|
|Composers||Naoshi Mizuta, Hidenori Iwasaki, Ryo Yamazaki|
- Promotional screenshots
- Square Enix (13 June 2021). STRANGER OF PARADISE FINAL FANTASY ORIGIN ANNOUNCED FOR 2022 RELEASE ON PLAYSTATION®5, PLAYSTATION®4, XBOX SERIES X|S, XBOX ONE AND PC. Archived from the original on 13 June 2021.
- Screenrant (13 June 2021). Stranger of Paradise Final Fantasy Origin Demo Is Corrupt And Unplayable. Archived from the original on 13 June 2021.
- Professor Tsutsumi (17 June 2021). 『FFオリジン』開発スタッフインタビュー！ 『FFI』に絡んだ世界観やジャックたちの秘密、バトルなどについて直撃【E3 2021】. Takahiro Sugihara. Famitsu. Archived from the original on 17 June 2021.
- Square Enix Team (18 June 2021). STRANGER OF PARADISE FINAL FANTASY ORIGIN – the Famitsu interview. Square Enix Blog. Archived from the original on 20 June 2021.
- Zack Zwiezen (13 June 2021). Chaos? Chaos??? ...Chaos!!!!!!. Kotaku. Archived from the original on 13 June 2021.
- Mike Minotti (13 June 2021). Final Fantasy Origin: Stranger of Paradise is super-edgy and hard. VentureBeat. Archived from the original on 13 June 2021.
- Steven Messner (13 June 2021). This newly revealed Final Fantasy game is so bad it's good. PC Gamer. Archived from the original on 13 June 2021.