Secret characters, also known as optional characters or hidden characters, are playable characters that do not join the party during the main storyline. They are hidden as rewards for completing sidequests. If their existence is even mentioned, it is often only vaguely hinted at.
- 1 List of secret characters
- 1.1 Final Fantasy IV: The After Years
- 1.2 Final Fantasy VI
- 1.3 Final Fantasy VII
- 1.4 Final Fantasy XIII-2
- 1.5 Final Fantasy Tactics
- 1.6 Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
- 1.7 Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift
- 1.8 Dissidia Final Fantasy (2008)
- 1.9 World of Final Fantasy
- 2 See also
List of secret characters[edit | edit source]
- Calca and Brina could count as secret characters. Although they are playable for the start of Rydia's Tale, the player can permanently lose both of them if they are not fixed at the end of the tale, the method for which is not explained in-game.
- Gekkou, Zangetsu, Tsukinowa, and Izayoi can die during their missions in Edge's Tale, and they will never rejoin for the rest of the game.
- Golbez can be lost permanently if the player does not have him, Cecil, Rosa, and Ceodore in the same party before confronting the Dark Knight on the True Moon's Subterrane.
Twelve non-guest characters are guaranteed to join the party in the World of Balance, coming and going as the plot demands. However, in the World of Ruin, only Celes, Setzer and Edgar are required to be found to complete the game. All other characters are optional.
- Umaro can be seen briefly in the World of Balance, but he can only be recruited in the World of Ruin when apprehended in Yeti's Cave, and only if Mog is in the party.
- Gogo can be recruited in the World of Ruin, in Zone Eater's Belly.
By completing certain sidequests, the following characters can join the main team:
- Yuffie appears as a random encounter in certain forests under the name Mystery Ninja.
- Vincent is found in a locked room in the basement of Shinra Manor that can be opened with a key obtained from a safe in the upper part of the mansion.
The following Paradigm Pack monsters cannot be recruited by turning them into a crystal in battle, but instead require the player to search for them using the Moogle Hunt ability, or through completing an optional location. These monsters are unique and only one can be obtained, but can be reacquired as a drop from various versions of Valfodr, a DLC boss.
- Rangda (Valfodr Lv. 1, rare drop)
- Cactuarina (Valfodr Lv. 45, rare drop)
- Leyak (Valfodr Lv. 1, common drop)
- Chichu (Valfodr Lv. 70, rare drop)
- Nanochu (Valfodr Lv. 70, common drop)
- Silver Chocobo (Valfodr Lv. 15, common drop)
- Cactuarama (Valfodr Lv. 45, common drop)
- Golden Chocobo (Valfodr Lv. 15, rare drop)
- Twilight Odin (Valfodr Lv. 99, rare drop)
- Beowulf Cadmus can join in Chapter 4 after seeing a cutscene in the Clockwork City of Goug with Besrudio Bunansa, and listening to a rumor at Mining Town of Gollund's tavern. Traveling to Lesalia next will introduce Beowulf as a guest at the local pub, and he will join as a full party member if the player helps him on the quest he is on.
- Reis Duelar joins as a Holy Dragon the same time Beowulf does, but joins as a Dragonkin if the player continues the quest and ventures to Nelveska Temple.
- Construct 8 joins in Chapter 4 after obtaining the Aquarius auracite from Beowulf's quest, and returning to the Clockwork City of Goug with it.
- Cloud Strife can join the party after a string of sidequests that starts by visiting Clockwork City of Goug. Ramza must buy a flower from a flower girl in the Trade City of Sal Ghidos and later spot Cloud attempt to save her from a group of thugs. Helping Cloud defeat the thugs has him join the party.
- Byblos appears in the Midlight's Deep as a monster that resembles a Reaver. He serves as a guest during the battle with Elidibus and if he survives, he joins Ramza's party.
- Balthier joins only in The War of the Lions, after Ramza hears two rumors about precious cargo, and is ambushed in the Dorter slums.
Dissidia Final Fantasy (2008)[edit | edit source]
These characters, after having certain intervention quests completed, can be fought and imprismed in certain matches at The Coliseum:
- Master Moogle
- Master Cactuar
- Master Tonberry
- Mecha Chocobo★
These characters are fought as superbosses, and are automatically recruited to the player's party after defeating them at least once: