Yes, the twelve legendary weapons. They are weapons. They are legendary. There are even twelve of them.
The Sealed Weapons (伝説の12の武器, Densetsu no 12 no Buki?, lit. 12 Legendary Weapons) are twelve legendary weapons in Final Fantasy V. Almost every weapon type has a sealed version, boomerangs, hammers, and one-handed swords being the only weapon types that do not have a corresponding Sealed Weapon.
A thousand years ago, the people of the world used the weapons to defeat the necromancer Enuo. Afterward the weapons were sealed away in the Sealed Castle until the day the Void Enuo had unleashed would become a threat again. When Exdeath merges the two worlds by shattering the Crystals, the Void begins to consume the newly reunified world. With the joining of the worlds the two halves of the Sealed Tome also reunite, giving Bartz and the other Light Warriors information on where to find the four Tablets that can unseal the weapons.
The Sealed Weapons are some of the best weapons in the game, and all are powerful for the point they can be obtained, but there are a handful of stronger weapons, especially in the Advance and mobile/Steam releases, where the Sealed Temple contains many new weapons.
For each Tablet the player obtains they may unseal three of the twelve weapons. The player can unseal the weapons in any order, but all twelve must be acquired. Despite the story importance they hold, the weapons are not required to defeat Exdeath, and though for plot purposes the player must still acquire them, they never have to use them in battle.
Acquiring all the weapons in the mobile/Steam version earns the "Legendary Weapons" achievement.
List of Sealed Weapons
- Assassin Dagger (Assassin Dagger in the Anthology translation): The Legendary Dagger, it has an Attack Power of 81. It increases Speed by 1 and has a 25% chance of inflicting Instant Death on the target.
- Apollo's Harp (Apollon Harp in the Anthology translation): The Legendary Harp, it has an Attack Power of 45, but for ordinary attacking purposes executes a spell with 75 base power. It does eight times the normal damage to undead and dragon enemies.
- Excalibur: The Legendary Knight Sword, it has an Attack Power of 110. It is Holy-elemental and increases Strength by 5.
- Fire Lash (Fire Bute in the Anthology translation): The Legendary Whip, it has an Attack Power of 82 and a Hit Rate of 90. It increases Strength and Speed by 2 and has a 33% chance of casting Firaga when attacking.
- Gaia's Bell (Earth Bell in the Anthology translation): The Legendary Bell, it has an Attack Power of 35, Hit Rate of 99, increases the power of Earth-elemental attacks, and has a 25% chance of casting Quake when attacking.
- Holy Lance: The Legendary Spear, it has an Attack Power of 109. It is Holy-elemental and increases Strength by 3.
- Magus Rod: The Legendary Rod, it has an Attack Power of 40. It is fire, ice and lightning-elemental, and increases the damage done by all forms of elemental damage, except for Water and Holy-elemental attacks.
- Masamune: The Legendary Katana, it has an Attack Power of 107. It casts Haste when used as an item, the user always gets the first turn in battle, and it has a 15% chance to score a critical hit.
- Rune Axe: The Legendary Axe, it has an Attack Power of 71, a Hit Rate of 90, raises Magic Power by 3, and consumes some MP when attacking to deal an automatic critical hit.
- Sage Staff: The Legendary Staff, it has an Attack Power of 45 (53 when used with Goblin Punch). It casts Raise when used as an item, deals eight times the normal damage against undead targets, and increases the power of Holy-elemental attacks.
- Sasuke's Katana (Ninja Blade in the Anthology translation): The Legendary Short Sword, it has an Attack Power of 99. It increases Speed by 1 and will block physical attacks 25% of the time.
- Yoichi's Bow: The Legendary Bow, it has an Attack Power of 101 and Hit Rate of 90. It raises Strength and Speed by 3 and has a 30% chance to score a critical hit.
The Sealed Weapons appear as Brandelis's weapon arsenal during the penultimate fight in his Exnine Bahamut form during the game's final events. The weapons are floating on his back throughout the duration of the fight and he will randomly select three of these weapons to attack the party with his Arcarmament abilities.