Recently, residents of Kugane woke to find hovering above their city an airship unlike any ever seen. Yet while of Garlean design, the vessel distinctly lacked the bleak outfitting common in the Empire's warmachina. No, this was the Prima Vista, private stage for the Majestic Imperial Theater Company─a troupe having won acclaim across Garlemald for their timeless work, The Zodiac Brave Story. Which begets the question...why are they here? The answer to that question and more lies in the selfsame legend of which they sing. The legend of Ivalice.Description
Located in the Dalmasca Desert, the Royal City of Rabanastre was previously the capital of the Kingdom of Dalmasca before it was annexed by the Garlean Empire at around the same time as Doma. Like Doma, Rabanastre revolted several times, leading to a brutal repression from the Empire and its abandonment by its residents.
Seeking to light the truth on the event of the legendary War of the Lions, Jenomis cen Lexentale, a famous Garlean playwright, disappeared while leading an archaeological expedition to the ruins of the city, which he believed was built on top of the legendary Lesalia. Following an unsuccessful rescue attempt by his son Ramza, the Warrior of Light is asked by his daughter Alma to brave the mysterious beings that have overrun the city and shed light on what happened to Jenomis.
Ramza refers to Rabanastre as "antediluvian", which means "pre-flood", implying it has stood since before the Calamity of Water over 1500 years ago. According to Encyclopedia Eorzea II, without the help of the Bangaa and their skill in masonry, Rabanastre would never have been constructed.
- Arrive at the Crumbling Bridge
- Defeat Mateus, the Corrupt
- Arrive in the Palace Square
- Defeat Hashmal, Bringer of Order
- Arrive in the Garamsythe Waterway
- Clear the Garamsythe Waterway
- Defeat Rofocale
- Arrive at the Lesalia Temple ruins
- Slay Argath Thadalfus
After getting off the airship the party arrives in the Dalmasca Estersand, after traveling a few steps the party comes across a herd of red chocobos crossing the sands.
A stone thoroughfare leading to the city’s main gate, this structure was built to bear the weight of several dozen carriages crossing at the same time. Its sturdiness, however, was no protection against the explosive firepower of the Empire’s gunships, and the loss of this escape route resulted in substantial casualties amongst the capital’s residents.Encyclopedia Eorzea II
Upon arriving at the crumbling bridge the group comes across one of the mysterious beings Alma mentioned and at once the weather turns cold and it snow begins to fall. The party is faced against Mateus, the Corrupt. Mateus will use water and ice attacks against the players, and at the start of the battle, he will have five Ice Azers, that will attack players and cast blizzard, once killed they will explode with Hypothermal Combustion.
- Unbind - Mateus releases the Goddess and she begins skating around the arena in a spiral to freeze water droplets and water spouts, players need to run into the small water droplets, and three players need to be on a water spout to deactivate it. Players will also need to defeat the Aqua spheres, and watch out for her path or she will freeze players affected with the Drowned debuff.
- Flash-Freeze - A conal attack that will occasionally hit the tank.
- Rebind - all of the Unbind mechanics will be removed from the platform
- Blizzard IV -Mateus will summon Ice blocks that will deal proximity damage to players.
- Snowpierce - Column AoE that follows players.
For the next phase of the fight Mateus will submerge the players in water and give them the Breathless debuff that will stack periodically, once it reaches ten stacks the player will die. To deal with this players will need to defeat the Flume Toads to form air bubbles. Players will be followed by a column AoE, these cannot hit the bubbles or they will pop. Once the breathless phase is over, everyone will be affected with the drenched debuff, and blizzard spheres will tether to players, anyone caught within its chill attack while drenched will become frozen. Next Mateus will move to the center and become invulnerable and summon Azure Guards, these need to be separated and killed quickly before Mateus's aether gauge fills. Once the adds are defeated Mateus will unleash his ultimate attack Frostwave dealing damage to all players.
This market square inside the entrance to Rabanastre was once filled with bustling stalls. Caravans arriving in the royal capital would conduct their initial business here, unloading crates and other heavy cargo, as merchants set to depart the city packed their carts and wagons with goods for the road ahead.Encyclopedia Eorzea II
Moving across the crumbled bridge the alliance enters the city, and comes across Seeq bandits that are looting the deserted city. Not wanting to fight the seeq's have Black Chocobos fight for them and in the midst of the battle a Red Chocobo appears, and summons a choco meteor, knocking out the Seeq's and any player caught within proximity. The raided chests will then transform into Rabanastran Mimics.
An expansive plaza stretching out before the palace, this site was reserved for royal weddings, military parades, and other such public events. When the palace chambers were commandeered by the imperial viceroy, however, the square became home to a contingent of watchful Garlean soldiers.Encyclopedia Eorzea II
Here the players face off against Hashmal, Bringer of Order, he will use earth based attacks against players.
- Quake IV - Raid wide damage.
- Jagged Edge - Large red circles will follow players.
- Control Tower - Hashmall will summon a large pillar out of the ground
- Sanction - Raid wide AoE damage that will also cut the pillar in a specific direction, players will need to move to avoid being crushed.
- Extreme Edge - Hashmal will leave and appear on one side of the platform to dash across the arena. Go to the opposite side of the glowing arm to avoid the high damage and Flesh Wound debuff.
- Rockcutter - heavy hitting tank buster.
- Earth Hammer - Hammers will appear above the platform, move out of its shadow to avoid death.
For the next phase of the fight Hashmal will move to the center of the arena and cast Command Tower which will summon a giant tower that needs to be destroyed before it reaches 100. During this Sand Spheres will spawn and need to be destroyed by each alliance, or everyone will die. Players need to stay with their alliances for Falling Boulder. after the destruction of the tower, Hashmal will use his ultimate attack Landwaster, dealing raid wide damage.
For the Third phase of the fight Golems will appear that need to be destroyed or they will get bigger and increase their damage. Hashmal will then move to the center again and use Submission Tower this summons three towers that will fall into the arena and divide the arena into three sections, and three Sand Spheres will appear again.
Rabanastre’s residential district. Once awash with the colorful awnings of street-side shops selling inexpensive goods or tavern fare, the Garlean occupation saw the ward emptied and renovated for the exclusive use of imperial citizens.Encyclopedia Eorzea II
Following the defeat of Hashmal the party moves onto the North End where they come across three seeq bandits huddled around a treasure chest. Once opened the chest reveals two Archeolions, and one Archeaodemon. The Archeolions will behave like Chimeras, and the Archeodemon will cast Unholy Darkness and Karma AoEs.
Stretching far below the streets of Rabanastre, this channel was constructed to carry in water from its source in the Skatay Range to the north. The lattice-like architecture of the waterway is confusing to navigate, and those who lose their sense of direction find it all but impossible to find their way out again.Encyclopedia Eorzea II
Jumping into the depths the party finds themselves within the Garamsythe Waterway, each Alliance will be split up, and take different routes, route B will take players underwater and find hidden writing on the walls.
Lesalia Garden Ruins
These ruins of an ancient civilization were discovered deep beneath the earth. Jenomis cen Lexentale, the man who discovered them, insists they are the remnants of legendary Lesalia, the royal capital of Ivalice, but thorough archaeological surveys have yet to be conducted to substantiate his claims.Encyclopedia Eorzea II
After trekking through the Waterways, players will come across the forgotten Royal City of Lesalia. Traveling down into the Lesalia Garden ruins reveals the monster Rofocale, a Lucavi demon residing within the garden.
- Crush Helm - 4 physical vulnerability attacks, and a final attack on the tank.
- Chariot - will target a player and charge at them.
- Cry of Victory - An ability that will affect half of the arena, move behind to avoid.
- Crush Weapon - Will target random players with AoEs.
- Trample - Rofocale will move into a figure 8 pattern that will trample players.
- Maverick - Clones will spawn around the platform and rush in a straight line.
Eventually Rofocale will move to the center of the arena and begin charging his Aetherial Acceleration meter, during this he will summon three Archeaodemons that need to be defeated within a prison. Once defeated Rofocale will circle around the arena and use Heavenly Subjugation to avoid this players need to move to the opposite side of where he stopped. For the next phase of the fight Rofocale will use some new abilities.
- Embrace - circular traps that will bind players, that have walked over it.
- Pomp and Circumstance - Proximity based damage.
- Dark Geas - The arena will go dark and players will be affected with a bleed debuff, players will need to interact with all circles on the ground to survive.
Lesalia Temple Ruins
Thought to be a monument to the gods of eld, the true nature of this timeworn but impressive edifice - and the religion once practiced within - remains an enigma. Academics eagerly await for calm to prevail in Dalmasca that they might attempt a more accurate appraisal.Encyclopedia Eorzea II
Further on into the ruins the party finds Jenomis unconscious on the far end of the area, A man appears and transforms into the Lucavi Demon Duma. He introduces himself as Argath Thadalfus and proclaims to be the rightful king of Ivalice. During this fight doing mechanics incorrectly or being hit by certain attacks,will give a stackable Unnerved debuff, at three stacks players will turn craven and run around aimlessly.
- Crippling Blow - Hard hitting tank buster.
- Crush Weapon - Will target random players with AoEs.
- Soulfix - Point blank AoE attack.
- Divine Commandments - Argath will summon masks, and whichever mask flashes you either have to obey or disobey the mechanic. White angel face is obey, and the Blue demon face is disobey.
- Trepidition - Meteors will fall down into the platform, that need to be stood in.
- Unrelenting - Frontal attack.
- Judgement Blade - 2 players will have blades over their heads that will drop long cross shaped AoE's.
- Coldblood - Boss disappears and a proximity marker will appear.
- Royal Blood - Multiple copies of Argath will appear as Shades and tether to players, these need to be defeated or they will use Unholy Sacrifice and unnerve players.
- Empty Soul - Argath will summon Shards of Emptiness that must be destroyed before the gauge is filled.
- Dark Ultima - Ability used after shards are destroyed or gauge is filled.
- Gnawing Dread - Confuse character and the arrow above your head will spin indicating the direction of where you're going.
- Fire IV - Raid wide damage.
- Mateus, the Corrupt
- Ice Azer
- Ice Slave
- Blizzard III
- Azure Guard
- Flume Toad
- Black Chocobo
- Rabanastran Mimic
- Hashmal, Bringer of Order
- Command Tower
- Sand Sphere
- Pennantstone Golem
- Stout Seeq Bandit
- Seasoned Seeq Bandit
- Staunch Seeq Bandit
- Argath Thadalfus
- Shard of Emptiness
The Royal City of Rabanastre features music from Final Fantasy Tactics. "Trisection" plays in all areas except during boss battles.
"Precipitous Combat" (named "Battle on the Bridge" on the Final Fantasy Tactics: Original Soundtrack) plays while fighting Mateus, Hashmal and Rofocale, while "Ultima's Transformation" (named "Ultima, the Nice Body" on the Final Fantasy Tactics: Original Soundtrack), plays during the battle with Argath Thadalfus. "Victory" plays upon completion of the duty.
Behind the scenes
The writing in the tunnels of Route B in the Garamsythe Waterways dates back to the War of the Lions.
The lines Argath Thadalfus uses are phrases he says to other characters in Final Fantasy Tactics.