Rocktoise is one of the Elite Marks in Final Fantasy XII, hunted in the Lhusu Mines. The hunt can be undertaken after the player returns to Rabanastre after escaping from Barheim Passage. Rocktoise was originally a small pet named Carbo, owned by a moogle named Pilika who works in the moogle-operated Technick shop in Bhujerba. Pilika had also kept a snake named Bianca, which still lingers within the shop.
The Rocktoise is the only tortoise monster that doesn't have shackles binding its legs.
Clan Primer[edit | edit source]
Hunt 34: The Cry of Its Power[edit | edit source]
- Petitioner: Pilika
- Petitioner's Location: Bhujerba/Khus Skygrounds
- A petition has been submitted for the hunting of a rocktoise (Rank I). The petitioner is Pilika at the Khus Skygrounds in Bhujerba.
- Hunt accepted. Pilika confesses that she was keeping a rocktoise as a pet in secret (its name was Carbo), but it has escaped and has now become quite wild and violent. Carbo is to be found in Site 2 of the Lhusu Mines.
- Rocktoise defeated! Report to Pilika at the Khus Skygrounds.
- Hunt reported. The cowed Carbo has returned, and Pilika intends to find a house where they can both live in peace.
Bestiary entry[edit | edit source]
- Being a great Titantoise that has assumed the Aspect of the Boulders and Rocks amongst which it matured. An unlikely Story, one might think, until one considers that the average Rocktoise grows to Adulthood over the course of several Thousands of Years. This Individual was kept as a Pet until it ran off into the Magicite Mines one day, whereupon It was transformed by Mist into something violent and wicked, and recognized as a Mark.
Stats[edit | edit source]
The Original Japanese Guidebook cites the Rocktoise's MP as being 1845, but subsequent guides list it as 999.
AI script[edit | edit source]
|Fire||Opponent is far (25%)|
|Blizzard||Opponent is far (25%)|
|Thunder||Opponent is far (25%)|
|Dark||Opponent is far (25%)|
|Purify||When afflicted by status ailment(s) and opponent is far (100%)|
|Focus||MP <20% when opponent is far (100%)|
|Stone Stomp||HP >20% when opponent is close (25%)|
|Sonic Turn||HP >20% when opponent is close (25%)|
|Flash||HP >20% when opponent is close (5%)|
|Attack CT0||When HP <20%|
Battle[edit | edit source]
Rocktoise will move about slowly to advance on the player. Its physical attacks are strong and attacking it saps the player's HP. When its target is out of reach it will cast level 1 magick. If afflicted with status ailments it can cure itself.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
An easy way to defeat Rocktoise is to set gambits for Ally:Any:Reflect and Ally:Any:Dark/Aero/any multi-targeting spell. The player must lure Rocktoise near the entrance to its lair, and from there cast magicks or use ranged weapons. Rocktoise will only cast his weak level 1 spells, while the party bombards him. Hi-Potions can be used to heal when necessary, but it is doubtful more than three will be needed. The player can use Silence Shot with guns to make it waste turns casting Purify.
Another surefire way to victory is to have only one character out equipped with a long-range weapon (gun or bow) and then run around in circles around Rocktoise. It takes a little bit of practice, but eventually one can get into a rhythm where Rocktoise never stops to attack, and is always chasing the character, but is too slow to catch up. The character will take damage from hitting the Rocktoise, but items can be used for a quick heal.
Rewards[edit | edit source]
Pilika will ask Vaan to retrieve her diary from her workplace if spoken to again after finishing the hunt. The player must go to the technick shop and will be given the choice to read the diary once it is found. After returning to Pilika and giving her the diary, she will ask if Vaan read it.
In the original version answering "I've done nothing" nets a Shepherd's Bolero, and answering "Read it" nets a Kilimweave Shirt, a slightly inferior reward. In the Zodiac versions, the rewards have been changed to a Jade Collar and Bangle respectively. The player can read the diary yet still say they didn't to get the reward.
Other appearances[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Etymology[edit | edit source]
Rocktoise is a portmanteau of "rock" and "tortoise."