Final Fantasy Wiki
Advertisement
Final Fantasy Wiki


Relm is a playable character in Final Fantasy VI. She is the final character to join the party in the World of Balance and the last main playable character, not counting the two secret characters.

Battle[]

Relm's Strength and Stamina are among the worst in the game, but her Speed, Evasion and Magic Evasion are above average, particularly for mage-type characters. Relm's standout stat is her Magic—at base 44 she has the highest Magic in the game, making her a natural fit to be a mage.

Stats[]

Name Initial Stats
Strength 26
Speed 34
Stamina 22
Magic 44
Attack 11
Defense 35
Evasion 13%
Magic Defense 30
Magic Evasion 9%
Escape Success 5
HP Gain 37
MP Gain 18
Level Averaging +0
Level HP MP EXP +
2 48 22 32
3 60 26 96
4 74 31 208
5 91 36 400
6 111 42 672
7 133 48 1056
8 157 55 1552
9 183 63 2184
11 238 80 3936
12 268 89 5080
13 303 99 6432
14 342 109 7992
15 386 119 9784
16 436 129 11840
17 490 139 14152
18 547 150 16736
19 608 161 19616
21 740 183 26360
22 809 194 30232
23 881 206 34456
24 957 218 39056
25 1036 230 44072
26 1118 242 49464
27 1204 254 55288
28 1294 267 61568
29 1389 280 68304
31 1588 306 83184
32 1689 319 91384
33 1791 333 100088
34 1893 347 109344
35 1996 361 119136
36 2100 375 129504
37 2206 389 140464
38 2313 404 152008
39 2421 419 164184
41 2642 449 190416
42 2755 464 204520
43 2869 480 219320
44 2985 496 234808
45 3102 512 251000
46 3221 528 267936
47 3341 544 285600
48 3463 561 304040
49 3588 578 323248
51 3846 611 364064
52 3977 626 385696
53 4110 640 408160
54 4244 653 431488
55 4380 665 455680
56 4517 676 480776
57 4656 686 506760
58 4798 695 533680
59 4942 703 561528
61 5234 716 620096
62 5382 721 650840
63 5532 726 682600
64 5684 732 715368
65 5837 738 749160
66 5992 745 784016
67 6148 752 819920
68 6306 759 856920
69 6466 767 895016
71 6788 783 974536
72 6943 791 1016000
73 7094 799 1058640
74 7239 806 1102456
75 7379 813 1147456
76 7515 820 1193648
77 7647 826 1241080
78 7773 832 1289744
79 7893 838 1339672
81 8123 849 1443368
82 8233 854 1497160
83 8341 859 1552264
84 8446 864 1608712
85 8548 869 1666512
86 8648 874 1725688
87 8746 879 1786240
88 8841 885 1848184
89 8933 891 1911552
91 9111 903 2042608
92 9198 909 2110320
93 9283 916 2179504
94 9366 924 2250192
95 9448 933 2322392
96 9528 943 2396128
97 9611 954 2471400
98 9697 966 2548224
99 9785 979 2637112

Equipment[]

Relm's equipment draw is nearly identical to Strago's, with the addition of a few female-exclusive pieces and a few pieces exclusive to Relm. This includes Brushes, her unique weapon type. She joins the party equipped with a Chocobo Brush, Mythril Shield, Plumed Hat, and a Silk Robe. Her ultimate weapon is the Angel Brush, won from the Plague in Dragons' Den. She also has an exclusive Relic, the Fake Moustache.

Relm's access to daggers and maces is largely irrelevant due to her poor physical stats. She can use magical rods to cast spells when attacking, and the Healing Rod can be used to heal party members without using magic or items, or used offensively against undead enemies. The Magus Rod offers +7 Magic and can be acquired early in the World of Ruin. Her various brushes offer lower Magic boosts, but boosts her other stats instead.

Relm's defensive options are light gear and mage robes, but in the late-game she has access to two powerful armor pieces, the Behemoth Suit and the Cat-Ear Hood. The Behemoth Suit is almost as powerful as Genji Armor and boosts all of Relm's stats by 6, and the Cat-Ear Hood grants Relm resistance to all elemental damage but water and poison, and doubles the amount of gil won from battles. With the Behemoth Suit and Cat-Ear Hood and a proper shield, Relm can be a very durable mage.

Weapons[]

Daggers Rods Maces Brushes Universal

Armor[]

Shields Helmets Body Armor

Abilities[]

Relm draws Ultros.

Relm's primary ability is Sketch, which lets her draw a living replica of an enemy to attack. In the vast majority of cases, when Relm Sketches an enemy, there is a 25% chance of one attack being used and a 75% chance of the other. There is, however, a handful of enemies in the game which always deliver the same attack when Sketched. The attacks usable via Sketch are usually attacks the enemy is capable of using normally. In the original Super NES release, Sketch was glitchy and the game could be corrupted if the wrong enemy was Sketched.

Sketch is largely useless due to the fact the attacks used via Sketch calculate damage based on the enemy's stats. Because of how Final Fantasy VI's damage formulas are balanced, enemies usually have far lower Strength and Magic than the party will, so even if Relm Sketched an attack that would be very powerful otherwise, it will be far less effective than expected. Many enemies have either normal attacks or their special attack as one or both possible Sketch attacks, including most bosses, with the notable exceptions of Kefka and the eight legendary dragons. Most of the time whatever attack Relm uses via Sketch will simply not be very powerful.

Relm controls an enemy.

By equipping the Fake Mustache, Relm's Sketch turns into Control. When Relm controls an enemy, the enemy enters a Confuse-like state where their sprite reverses. Relm takes the same stance as when casting a spell, and on her turn she will have a unique command window with up to four commands usable by the enemy monster. When a command is input, the monster will use the command, and Relm's ATB gauge then depletes and refills as though she is taking her normal turns. If the monster dies or is struck by a physical attack, Control ends and Relm's ATB gauge depletes, and she will have her normal commands on her next turn.

Control is far more useful than Sketch in most situations. It can take a monster out of battle for several turns and turn their own powers against them. However, it is still preferable to teach Relm powerful spells and utilize her as a mage, since monster stats are still low and they will do less damage than Relm could herself. It is difficult to maintain Control of an enemy in a battle with primarily physical attackers, and most bosses are immune to Control.

Both Sketch and Control are useful as utility abilities to teach Strago Lores. Monsters that use Lores Strago can learn often have them as Sketch or Control abilities, eliminating the need to wait for the enemy to use the Lore so Strago can learn it.

If Shadow was not waited for before escaping the Floating Continent, Relm will gain the protection of Interceptor in his place in the World of Ruin. Interceptor will randomly intercept blockable physical attacks on Relm, nullifying their damage, and has a chance to then counterattack with Wild Fang or Takedown, which deal non-elemental magic damage to one opponent, but miss on Floating targets.

Relm's Desperation Attack is Star Prism, which inflicts Instant Death on an enemy.

Quests[]

Recruitment[]

In the World of Balance, Relm joins the party in the Esper Caves. When the party battles Ultros, Relm will automatically arrive when his HP falls below a certain threshold, and after a cutscene joins the party. Using her Sketch ability on Ultros automatically ends the battle.

In the World of Ruin, the way to recruit Relm varies depending on whether the party waited for Shadow before escaping the Floating Continent. If they did, Relm can be found in Owzer's Mansion in Jidoor and will rejoin the party after they defeat Chadarnook. If the party did not wait for Shadow, Relm will be found in the Cave on the Veldt and the party must rescue her there and defeat the Behemoth King, after which she can be found in Owzer's mansion.

Recruiting Relm in the World of Ruin in the mobile/Steam version earns the Portrait Time! achievement.

Story role[]

Relm must be recruited in the World of Ruin to recruit Strago. When entering the Cultists' Tower with Relm in the party, a cutscene will occur where she snaps Strago to his senses and he rejoins the party.

When the player revisits Thamasa with both Relm and Strago in the party, a cutscene initiates where Strago learns his friend Gungho has been hurt fighting the monster Hidon, and a cave on Ebot's Rock appears containing Hidon's lair. Relm must be in the party to initiate the cutscene, but does not need to enter Ebot's Rock to face Hidon, only Strago is required.

During the ending when the party is escaping Kefka's Tower, Relm's ending scene will be different if Strago was not recruited, where Edgar, Celes and Setzer run by her as she struggles to get down the conveyor belt, until she threatens to draw their portraits and they come back for her. Relm also appears in Strago's ending scene.

Gallery[]


Advertisement