Ravagers wield powerful magic spells, dealing damage of fire, ice, lightning, water and other elemental affinities.Primers: Battle
- 1 Profile
- 2 AI mechanics
- 3 Role levels
- 4 Abilities
- 5 Other appearances
- 6 Gallery
- 7 Etymology
Computer-controlled Ravagers attack the same target as the player. If the player controls a Ravager and the formation has computer-controlled Commando(s), one Commando will attack the player's target. Merely being in the Ravager role boosts the person's chain gauge bonus and the benefits extend to other party members to a lesser degree. The amount of bonus depends on the Ravager's role level. This bonus applies to all abilities that can increase the chain gauge and is cumulative with the bonus from other Ravagers. However, without support attack from the other roles, the target's chain gauge will restore too quickly to effectively build it.
The Ravager's command abilities mainly consist of offensive elemental spells, making them similar to Black Mages. Some Ravagers learn elemental physical attacks ("strikes"), similar to a weaker version of a Mystic Knight. While elemental spells of fire, ice, lightning, water and air are all present in their traditional three-tiers (normal, -"ra", -"ga"), the only earth-elemental ability is Quake, a Technique.
The player earns the achievement Ravager's Seal by learning all the abilities and reaching level 5 for the Ravager role of a single character. This can be achieved after defeating the final boss to unlock Stage 10 of the Crystarium.
- The computer-controlled Ravager chooses commands best suited for raising chain gauge, rather than which commands deal the most damage.
- Unless the Ravager is the only offensive role in the current paradigm, the computer-controlled Ravager will always choose the same target as the other characters, and will continue to attack that target until it is defeated, or until the other characters change target.
- The computer-controlled Ravager always attacks the Commando's target. If there is no Commando in the current paradigm, the Ravager will attack the leader's target. If the leader is not targeting an enemy, the computer-controlled Ravager will aim for the same target as another Ravager. If there is no other Ravager the computer-controlled Ravager will auto-target. Computer-controlled Ravagers will only target a Dazed enemy if the player targets it and there is no Commando, or there is no other target (they will still use area attacks that will hit Dazed enemies as normal).
- The computer-controlled Ravager only attacks when their ATB gauge is completely filled.
- The computer-controlled Ravager assesses the known strengths and weaknesses of the target's elemental, physical and magic affinities, what status effects they are under, and how many other enemies there are nearby, when choosing their commands.
- Unlike the Commando, Ravagers have no preference between physical and magic abilities. If the target is under Deprotect, Shell, weak against physical attacks, or strong against magic attacks, Ravagers use strike abilities, such as Flamestrike. If the target is under Deshell, Protect, weak against magic attacks or strong against physical attacks, Ravagers use magic, such as Fire.
- If the target's Notes section flag up any elemental weaknesses, the Ravager uses abilities geared towards that element, even if they have other elemental weaknesses. If the target's Notes section does not flag up any weaknesses, the Ravager will choose elements the target is the weakest against, based on the target's vulnerabilities section. Elements under "Weakness" are given the highest priority, followed by "Normal", "Halved", "Resistant" and "Immune". If the target absorbs all elements the Ravager can use, they will not attack that target.
- If the target's elemental, physical or magic affinities are currently unknown, the Ravager will choose abilities at random until more information is obtained.
- If a few enemies are grouped together, the Ravager will use second-tier "-ra" spells. When battling against several enemies, the Ravager will use third-tier "-ga" spells.
- When a target is staggered, the Ravager will use second-tier "-ra" spells, as well as Wind-elemental spells, such as Aero, to attempt to launch the target in the air, even if the target isn't weak against Wind.
- Computer-controlled Ravagers will never use full ATB skills.
Below are the Crystarium Levels when each character can advance in role level.
The Ravager's role bonus adds a fixed value to the base amount each ability increases the chain gauge, and the bonus extends to other party members. If the party has more than one Ravager, the Ravagers get both their personal bonus for being a Ravager in addition to the party Ravager bonuses from the other Ravager(s). The role bonus is not contributed if the party member is incapacitated, and when summoning an Eidolon, only the party leader's role bonuses count.
Stock a set of commands focused on building chain bonuses.Description
|Ability||ATB||AP Attack Power||Crystarium Stage|
|Deal fire damage to target.|
Fire-elemental magical attack against target foe.
|Deal fire damage to targets in range. Staggered targets take more damage.|
Fire-elemental magical attack against target and nearby foes. If target is staggered, chain effectiveness increases.
|Deal fire damage to targets within a wide radius.|
Fire-elemental magical attack against large area of foes. May lift goes into the air.
|Deal ice damage to target.|
Ice-elemental magical attack against target foe.
|Deal ice damage to targets in range. Staggered targets take more damage.|
Ice-elemental magical attack against target and nearby foes. If target is staggered, chain effectiveness increases.
|Deal ice damage to targets within a wide radius.|
Ice-elemental magical attack against large area of foes. May lift goes into the air.
|Deal lightning damage to target.|
Lightning-elemental magical attack against target foe.
|Deal lightning damage to targets in range. Staggered targets take more damage.|
Lightning-elemental magical attack against target and nearby foes. If target is staggered, chain effectiveness increases.
|Deal lightning damage to targets within a wide radius.|
Lightning-elemental magical attack against large area of foes. May lift goes into the air.
|Deal water damage to target.|
Water-elemental magical attack against target foe.
|Deal water damage to targets in range. Staggered targets take more damage.|
Water-elemental magical attack against target and nearby foes. If target is staggered, chain effectiveness increases.
|Deal water damage to targets within a wide radius.|
Water-elemental magical attack against large area of foes. May lift goes into the air.
|Deal wind damage to target and temporarily stun it.|
Wind-elemental magical attack against target foe. Stops foe movement briefly.
|Deal wind damage to targets in range, tossing them up and drawing them in.|
Wind-elemental magical attack against target and nearby foes. May lift foes into the air. If target is staggered, chain effectiveness increases.
|Deal wind damage to targets within a wide radius, drawing them up into a tornado.|
Two-part wind-elemental magical attack against large area of foes. May lift foes into the air.
|Physically attack target for fire damage.|
Fire-elemental physical attack against target foe.
|Physically attack target for ice damage.|
Ice-elemental physical attack against target foe.
|Physically attack target for lightning damage.|
Lightning-elemental physical attack against target foe.
|Physically attack target for water damage.|
Water-elemental physical attack against target foe.
|Army of One||All||0.3×11||9||—||—||—||—||—|
|Unleash a devastating flurry of blows. Chain bonus effect varies by situation.|
Non-elemental physical attacks to one target. Conditionally affects chain efficiency. Exclusive to Lightning.
|Unleash a devastating volley of gunfire. Chain bonus effect varies by situation.|
Non-elemental physical attacks to one target. Conditionally affects chain efficiency. Exclusive to Sazh.
|Deal magic damage within a wide radius. Chain bonus effect varies by situation.|
Non-elemental magical attacks that split evenly between all foes. Conditionally affects chain efficiency. Exclusive to Hope.
|Boost chain bonus effect of your attacks when your HP is high.|
When attacking while HP is above 70%, attacks gain increased chain bonus.
|Boost chain bonus effect of attacks for each ally targeting the same enemy.|
Ravager attacks gain increased chain bonus the more allies there are targeting the same foe.
|Slightly charge ATB gauge upon attacking staggered target.|
When attacking a staggered foe, recover 10% of an ATB slot.
If hacked, Hand Grenade and the Potion ability are fully functional and work as intended. Hand Grenade can appear within the Auto-battle command while both Hand Grenade and Potion can manually be selected from the Abilities command. The Hand Grenade is fire-elemental.
|Hand Grenade||2||Deal physical damage to targets in range.|
|Restores a small amount of HP to all allies.|
The characters use their Ravager abilities.
- Ability Cards
- Legend Cards
Froststrike is an active, ice-elemental physical ability that inflicts physical ice damage on a single target for 7 AP. It has low topple strength. It can be used by Lann when equipped with Snow's Champion Jewel.
A ravager is a person who causes severe and extensive damage to, or is the destructive effects of something. From French ravage ("ravage, havoc, spoil").