The gameplay mixes RPG elements with dot logic puzzles. The player controls a party of four, plus one optional friend, as they battle their way through waves of enemies while solving puzzles. There is a 5x5 plane on the bottom of the screen. The quicker the player solves the puzzle, the faster the limit gauge grows.
There game also a feature of co-op play wherein players can choose the assistance of another player during battle as the fifth character of the party. Afterwards, the player can choose to add the person as a friend.
The game features music tracks from a variety of games within the series.
On November 17th, 2013, a special Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII event appeared in the game.
Final Fantasy XI Event
A collaboration event with Final Fantasy XI ran from November 25, 2014 to Tuesday, December 9, 2014. During that period, players of Final Fantasy XI could obtain unique pieces of furnishing that depict famous NPCs from the game in retro-style pixel art. New memoria were introduced in Pictlogica Final Fantasy.
Pictlogica Final Fantasy features tracks from several games in the Final Fantasy series. Quests featuring content from specific installments often use musical themes from their respective games.
The following tracks recur throughout the game:
- "Prelude" from Final Fantasy V as the game is starting up.
- "Opening Theme" from Final Fantasy IV in the title screen.
- "Vana'diel March" from Final Fantasy XI in menu screens.
- "Moogle Theme" from Final Fantasy VI in the plate mining sequence.
- "Enemy Attack" from Final Fantasy X during limit break mode.
- "Victory Fanfare" from Final Fantasy V in the quest results screen.