Phoenix is an optional boss and an Elite Mark in Final Fantasy XII found in the Subterra as both as standalone boss in Penumbra, and accompanying the Elite Mark Shadowseer in Hell's Challenge. The latter battle is reprised in the Zodiac versions' Trial Mode in Stage 92.
Clan Primer Edit
Hunt 44: God Or Devil? Edit
- Petitioner: Montblanc
- Petitioner's Location: Rabanastre/The Clan Hall
- A petition has been submitted for the hunting of the Seer (Rank VI). The petitioner is Montblanc in the clan hall in Rabanastre.
- Hunt accepted. A being claiming to be a god, the Seer, has been creating trouble. This "god" is to be found in the Pharos at Ridorana.
- Shadowseer defeated! Report to Montblanc in the clan hall.
- Hunt reported. Montblanc was happy to see another megalomaniacal entity brought to its knees.
Bestiary entry Edit
- Being a legendary Avion said to have been tasked with the Protection of the southern Lands by the Gods themselves. Its Body is covered in Feathers of rich Amber, and its Head is adorned with elegant Horns. Called the Firebird for the way it flames when climbing into the Sky, and revered as an Anima of the Sun.
|Lunge||HP >50% (5%)|
HP <50% (25%)
|Shift||Hit with elemental weakness (100%)|
Phoenix is a flying enemy, so the party must use ranged weapons (poles and spears work in the Zodiac versions), magick, Technicks or attack items. Phoenix can shift its elemental weakness, so one must pay attention to what element is hurting it. It is always weak against one element and absorbs all other elements. Like the Garuda, Phoenix is weak against Eksir Berries.
It is useful to be at least 5–6 levels higher than Phoenix, have strong ranged weapons and armor, and gambits set for Arise, Curaja, Steal and the highest Black Magicks spells available. Dispel assists, and Scathe and Scourge help in bringing it down.
The party can cast Oil on Phoenix with the Nihopalaoa trick by using a Remedy and Handkerchief, and do extra damage when it becomes vulnerable to Fire. Another surefire way to inflict Phoenix with Oil is to cast the spell with the Indigo Pendant equipped. With the Oil+Fire strategy it helps to equip the Flame Staff or the Burning Bow, they empower Fire.
Etymology and symbolism Edit
phoenix or phenix (Greek: φοῖνιξ phoinix; Latin: phoenix, phœnix, fenix) is a long-lived bird that is cyclically regenerated or reborn. Associated with the sun, a phoenix obtains new life by arising from the ashes of its predecessor. According to some sources, the phoenix dies in a show of flames and combustion, although there are other sources that claim that the legendary bird dies and simply decomposes before being born again. According to some texts, the phoenix could live over 1,400 years before rebirth.In Greek mythology, a
Phoenix, along with the other three bosses Shadowseer summons, refer to the Sì Xiàng, four mythical Chinese beasts that correspond to the four directions of the compass. Phoenix refers to the Vermilion Bird of the South (Zhu Que).