I couldn't miss the chance to practice my drawing!
Path companions were special non-player characters from the original version of Final Fantasy XIV. They were partners selected by the player who appeared in some cutscenes, being main characters of the Path of the Twelve storyline.
Path companions were removed from the plot at the start of the Seventh Umbral Era storyline, and completely in the A Realm Reborn's relaunch. Even Legacy players no longer possessed the ability to call their companions, and no indication has been given if feature will return.
Overview[edit | edit source]
At the onset of "Fade to White" main scenario quest, players were presented with the opportunity to select an NPC Path companion to join them in the search for truth behind the mysteries surrounding Eorzea. Players were faced with several important decisions when selecting the companion just right for them.
First, a class needed to be selected. The Path companion's available classes were Gladiator, Lancer, Archer, Conjurer, and Thaumaturge. Then, Tataru would show four NPCs of random races and genders. The player could choose one as their companion, or try again by selecting again the class. Finally, the player could input a nickname for them.
Initially, it was impossible to change the Path companion, forcing players to delete and recreate their characters wholesale if they didn't like their choice. However, early patches granted the ability to select a new one.
Path companions[edit | edit source]
The companion could be from any race or any gender except for some cases. Tataru would introduce the personalities of each one.
- Male Midlander Hyur: A fine if somewhat conventional companion, possessing a strong sense of justice, an indefatigable spirit and... so on.
- Male Highlander Hyur: Women, wine, war and women. Just four—alright, three of the things which tickle the fancy of this brute of a man. He doesn’t so much stand on ceremony as stamp on it until it stops moving.
- Female Midlander Hyur: A gregarious though slightly egocentric young woman. If you can put up with her, she won’t let you down.
- Male Elezen: Being a man wholly focused on his mission, this highborn fellow can seem rather curt, if not downright rude.
- Female Elezen: A studious sort with exemplary manners. Serious and trustworthy, as you’d expect, but possibly a little... stiff for some tastes. Still, if you loathe over-familiarity, she may be just the companion—sorry, colleague for you.
- Male Lalafell: It is said that a hero lies within us all. In the case of this rather sheltered young Lalafell, one might assume that the hero in question does so under his bed, hoping his harpy of a mother won’t think to look for him there. Will you be the one to coax him out?
- Female Lalafell: Does your world want for a wealth of wordplay and wit? An abundance of alliteration, assonance aplenty and a soupcon of sibilance to seal the deal? Well, you were warned.
- Female Miqo'te: A lady who knows what she likes, and likes a little bit of everything. Don’t be fooled by her coquettish manner and all-too-apparent charms; in her breast beats the fiery heart of a warrior. Not to worry, though, she’ll be gentle—assuming that’s what you like.
- Male Roegadyn: When the going gets tough, it’s often nice to have a big, earnest, slightly credulous friend around—and they don’t come much bigger than this straight-talking Roegadyn.
Story[edit | edit source]
The Path companions were paired members of the Path of the Twelve, an organization of people touched by the Echo. They were partners in missions given by this organization, and it was frowned upon to rush into dangerous missions alone if an adventurer had one.
The Path companion hailed from the conquered nation of Ala Mhigo, while a relative of them was a member of the Ala Mhigan Resistance. After being told that their relative died, the Path companion joined the resistance to steal an imperial airship to drive the Garleans away from Ala Mhigo. This rebel action was stopped by the legatus of the XIVth Legion, Gaius van Baelsar.
A member of the Circle of Knowing (either Y'shtola Rhul, Thancred Waters, or Yda Hext and Papalymo Totolymo), warned both the adventurer and the Path companion that the Garlean Empire could not be defeated in their current state, and that they must find something much greater—such as the entity who gave them the Echo—to stand a chance.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- At one time, it was rumored that players would be able to call their Path companions in the field, much like the Adventuring Fellow NPCs in Final Fantasy XI. Though this was never done, A Realm Reborn featured a similar system with the Chocobo Companion.
- The Path companion's relative, who was a member of the Ala Mhigan Resistance, was not a fixed relative. It could be their father, mother, or brother.