Hunt 44: God or Devil?
- Petitioner: Montblanc
- Petitioner's Location: Rabanastre/The Clan Hall
- A petition has been submitted for the hunting of the Seer (Rank VI). The petitioner is Montblanc in the clan hall in Rabanastre.
- Hunt accepted. A being claiming to be a god, the Seer, has been creating trouble. This "god" is to be found in the Pharos at Ridorana.
- Shadowseer defeated! Report to Montblanc in the clan hall.
- Hunt reported. Montblanc was happy to see another megalomaniacal entity brought to its knees.
- 'Being a Titantoise with the Aspect of a giant Boulder, set to the great Purpose of purging a Shrine in the Far North of an infestation of wicked Creatures. The Surface of its mighty Shell is encrusted with hardened Lava, and its Legs are forever in Shadow. In the North, it is called the Darktoise for its Coloration, and it is revered as an Anima of Shadow.
|Flatten||HP >50% (5%)|
HP <50% (25%)
|Stone Gaze||HP >50% (5%)|
HP <50% after Perfect Defense fades (25%)
|Perfect Defense*Gives Magick Wall and Anti-Magick for two minutes||HP <50%; used once (100%)|
|Power Spin||HP >50% (5%)|
HP <50% (25%)
|Flash||Use all battle except when Perfect Defense is active (5%)|
|HP Attack||When HP 50–80%|
|Ignore Evade||After Perfect Defense fades|
|Reduce Damage||After Perfect Defense fades|
|Targeting||Attacks nearest opponent|
When HP <50% focuses on the opponent who draws the most enmity
Reddas will be fighting alongside the party. Pandaemonium has a rather high Defense and uses Flash and Stone Gaze. Flash hits multiple times and has a chance of inflicting Blind, while Stone Gaze inflicts Petrify. The characters will receive damage every time they hit the boss.
Like other tortoise-kind monsters, Pandaemonium uses Power Spin, which damages all characters and has a chance of inflicting Slow. Its Flatten deals considerable damage, but does not inflict status ailments.
When Pandaemonium's health hits critical, it will use Perfect Defense, which negates all physical and magickal attacks for two minutes.
Etymology and symbolism
Pandæmonium comprises the Greek words pan, "all", and daimonion, "demon"; it can roughly be translated as "all demons". Pandæmonium is the castle of Lucifer and the capital of Hell in John Milton's Paradise Lost, and the word was invented by him. The word has also come to mean any wild disorder or chaos in English.
Pandaemonium, along with the other three bosses that Shadowseer summons, refer to the Sì Xiàng, four mythical Chinese beasts that correspond to the four directions of the compass. Pandaemonium refers to the Black Tortoise of the North (Xuan Wu).