Orthros is an Elite Mark in Final Fantasy XII located in the Garamsythe Waterway, in the Southern Sluiceway. The earliest the hunt can be accepted is after obtaining the Dawn Shard, and reaching the clan rank of "Headhunter".
Orthros will appear if the party consists of the three females. The player can swap the characters after Orthros appears, so it is not necessary to fight Orthros with an all-female party. Guest characters, Larsa and Reddas, do not count towards the restriction and so can be in the party as well.
Orthros is a source of the ingredient Slime Oil, which can be stolen from it. In the original version this item is very rare, as the only other way to get it was to win it from the tier 90 footrace at Balfonheim. The Zodiac versions add more sources for it.
When the party acquires the Stolen Articles from Orthros, its description will read, "Don't tease the...flan?", in reference to the phrase "Don't tease the octopus, kids", used by Ultros in Final Fantasy VI.
Hunt 35: Crime and Punishment
- Petitioner: Contrite Thief
- Petitioner's Location: Lowtown (North Sprawl)
- A petition has been submitted for the hunting of Orthros (Rank 5). The petitioner is the contrite thief in the North Sprawl of Lowtown.
- Hunt accepted. The contrite thief stole a bundle of articles, but lost it to Orthros. She wants to return the bundle to its rightful owner. Orthros is known to dwell in the southern reaches of the Garamsythe Waterway, but may only be found under certain conditions.
- Orthros defeated! Report to the contrite thief in the North Sprawl.
- Hunt reported. Returned stolen articles to their rightful owner.
- Being an ancient Inhabitant of the Garamsythe Waterway with an inordinate Fondness of comely Maidens. Possessing a sort of Chameleonism, whereby it assumes the Hue of that which it consumes, it is said to glow as Gold for in the Past it ate a Merchant's Store of Coin. This creature consumed a thief's ill-gotten plunder, which she now wishes to return to its rightful owner, thus has she petitioned the hunt for this Mark.
|Thundaga||HP <50% when opponent is close (25%)|
|Slowga||Use all battle (5%)|
|Break||Use all battle (5%)|
|Bleed||Use all battle (5%)|
|Immobilizega||Opponent is far (5%)|
|Disablega||Opponent is far (5%)|
|Darkra||Opponent is close (25%)|
Opponent is far (50%)
|Phantasmal Gaze||Opponent is close (5%)|
|Lunge||Opponent is close (25%)|
|Slap||HP <50% when opponent is close (25%)|
|Flash||When opponent is close (5%)|
|Mythril Bubbles||When opponent is close (5%)|
Orthros is a flan-type enemy, and thus physical attacks are ineffective, but Orthros is not immune to them. Orthros attacks with spells like Slowga and Immobilizega, along with other status magick. Its Mythril Bubbles move is particularly dangerous, as it can inflict several status ailments. Orthros can be inflicted with Blind.
The battle can be made easier with a few preparations. Sashes block the mark's Slowga spell. The biggest challenge is how to fight the mark. Bravery and Faith make the battle easier. Protection against Dark-elemental damage is useful.
Protect, Shell, Haste and Blind are the party's best friends in this battle. One way about the battle is to cast Reflectga, and then Firaga on the party, causing three (possibly four if a guest is present) hits of Firaga on Orthros per cast, which makes it possible to defeat it in under a minute. Orthros can be beaten even at low levels by inflicting Sleep on it and then summoning an Esper or casting magick. Nihopalaoa + Prince's Kiss (Alarm Clock) is another good trick which works every time. Some weapons boost damage done from certain elements.
The player can start a Quickening chain when the flan glows red to finish it off faster. If the party doesn't have a powerful Black Mage in the Zodiac versions, they can always use Motes, which deal good damage to it.
The player will receive the Stolen Articles after the battle, which the Contrite Thief returns to Samal. He comes by to give the player a Blackened Fragment, which is part of the three medallions sidequest.
Orthros refers to the octopus Ultros that first appeared in Final Fantasy VI. Despite being a flan, it is the same color and its description alludes to Ultros.
Orthrus or Orthus was, according to the mythographer Apollodorus, a two-headed dog who guarded Geryon's cattle and was killed by Heracles. He was the offspring of the monsters Echidna and Typhon, and the brother of Cerberus, who was also a multi-headed guard dog.In Greek mythology,