Wise I may not be, but well-informed I am.
Dalan, or Old Dalan as people in Rabanastre like to call him, is a character in Final Fantasy XII. He lives in Rabanastre's Lowtown, and gives advice to his long-time friend Vaan. Dalan has no more voiced scenes after Basch fon Ronsenburg fully joins the player's party, but if the player returns to him after, Dalan may offer hints as to the party's next objective, in essence acting as a guide to the player should they lose their place in the story.
Profile[edit | edit source]
Appearance[edit | edit source]
Dalan resembles an aged, wizened East Indian male, with a slim build, styled silvery white hair, and a mustache with a long goatee for a beard. He has numerous gold earrings. He is adorned in East Indian beadwork, and keeps a leporine creature as a pet. He wears a brown shirt and a white cropped jacket over it. He has white matching trousers and a blue striped cinch belt. He doesn't wear shoes.
Personality[edit | edit source]
Dalan is wise, cunning, observant and patient. As he is familiar with the rumors that circulate Lowtown, many turn to Dalan for advise. He seems to sympathize with the local Resistance movement led by Vossler York Azelas, as he guides Vaan to persuade the Resistance to trust in Basch, although his endeavor does not succeed.
Story[edit | edit source]
Dalan tells Vaan how to break into the Royal Palace of Rabanastre during the Consul's fete, by giving him the Crescent Stone. When Vaan returns from Nalbina Dungeons, Dalan gives Vaan a sword of the Old Order to deliver to Captain Vossler.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Dalan appears as a sprite in the Sky Pirate's Den; completing every map awards the player the title of Cartographer.
Dalan has new advice for Vaan when talked to during different points in the game. There being exactly twelve different things Old Dalan can say, may be an allusion to the number twelve, a recurring theme in Final Fantasy XII.
- After returning to Rabanastre from Rogue Tomato hunt.
- After getting the sunstone.
- After Sword of the Order is given to Vossler.
- After Balthier and Fran join Vaan in Rabanastre's Sandsea and promise to take him to Bhujerba.
- After escaping Dreadnought Leviathan.
- After acquiring the Dawn Shard.
- After Larsa joins in Jahara.
- After getting to Mt Bur-Omisace.
- After fighting Judge Bergan in Mt Bur-Omisace.
- After Draklor Laboratory.
- After acquiring the Treaty-Blade.
- After Pharos.
Musical themes[edit | edit source]
The music that plays when talking to Dalan is called "Quiet Determination" (静かなる決意, Shizukanaru Ketsui?).
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Old Dalan is the cause of the naming dispute for Vaan. During the first time Vaan visits him, Dalan calls him by the nickname Vaan Ratsbane, in the game's first area Vaan clears his training ground of rats. Some erroneously believed Ratsbane to be Vaan's actual last name.