North Corel is a town at the foot of Mt. Corel in the Gold Saucer Area in Final Fantasy VII. It was built by the survivors from Corel, which was destroyed by Shinra Electric Power Company. Since it is a relatively new settlement, North Corel is just a collection of crude dwellings, with little of the advanced technology that makes up human civilization on the Planet. It serves mostly as a stepping ground for the resort of Gold Saucer.
Cloud Strife and his party pass through North Corel on their world-wide hunt for the elusive Sephiroth. One member of the party, Barret Wallace, was once a resident of Old Corel. The surviving townspeople blame him for the town's destruction, but Barret refuses to argue with them, and the party continues on to Gold Saucer.
Later when Meteor has been summoned and Cloud is lost in the Lifestream, Cid Highwind takes up the reins of acting leader to fight Shinra and steal their Huge Materia. There is a Huge Materia in the Mako Reactor on Mt. Corel and the party heads to grab it before Shinra can. The Materia is taken on a coal train before they get there and the party jumps on a small pump-cart and races to catch up with the train.
They fight their way through the Shinra forces to take control of the train; to get the train to stop, the player must press Up and ([MENU] in the PC version), then Down and ([CANCEL] in the PC version]) in a repeating pattern until the train stops. If they fail to stop the train in time, the runaway train destroys North Corel and the Huge Materia is lost. If they succeed, North Corel is saved and the townsfolk recognize Barret as a hero, and no longer blame him for the loss of Old Corel.
North Corel is located to the North on Gaia's Western continent.
Mt. Corel Huge MateriaEdit
The Mt. Corel Huge Materia quest ends with the player at North Corel, and the result has a great effect on North Corel.
If the player times out without catching the train then the town remains the same and the player does not get the Huge Materia.
If the player times out after having caught up with the train, the train plows through North Corel. This makes the Tent area no longer accessible, and removes the General Store. The now homeless boy will sell the Ultima Materia to the player for 50,000 gil. The player does not get the Huge Materia.
If the player stops the train within the time limit, the player will be given the Huge Materia and the Ultima Materia.
- Huge Materia (only if the train is stopped)
- Ultima Materia (from little boy for free if train is stopped; if not, costs 50,000 gil. It is also possible to completely miss, if the player fails to catch up to the train altogether)
- Catastrophe (from woman after Huge Materia event, regardless of the success or failure of stopping the train)
- Ether (inside the rightmost tent. Go through the people in tent and check back part of the upper-right corner)
- Ultimate Weapon (boss)
The music that plays in North Corel is "Mark of a Traitor" (裏切り者の烙印, Uragirimono no Rakuin?).
- There is a map of Japan in Tent.
- Shinra's coal train can crash into North Corel even though there are holes in the tracks left by the party's exploration that were never fixed and boulders on the tracks in the area where the party had to lower a bridge to get across. How the tracks reach the town is also a mystery, as when approaching it on foot from that direction the party crosses a rope bridge to get there and there is no railway bridge in sight.