Nightmare may refer to:
- The recurring ability.
- The recurring equine enemy.
- The recurring weapon.
- The Limit Break from Final Fantasy VII.
- The enemy from Crisis Core -Final Fantasy VII-.
- The ability from Final Fantasy XI.
- The garb from Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII.
- The mount from Final Fantasy XIV
- The weapon from Dissidia Final Fantasy NT.
- The weapon from Dissidia Final Fantasy Opera Omnia.
- The dungeon collection from Final Fantasy Record Keeper.
Etymology[edit | edit source]
nightmare is an unpleasant dream that can cause a strong emotional response from the mind, typically fear or horror, but also despair, anxiety and sadness. The dream may contain situations of danger, discomfort, psychological or physical terror. Sufferers often awaken in a state of distress and may be unable to return to sleep for a prolonged period. The word derives from the Old English "mare", a mythological demon or goblin who torments others with frightening dreams.A
Nightmare is a creature from Dungeons & Dragons. The nightmare resembles a large black horse, though flames wreathe its hooves and trail from its nostrils.
Nightmare, as a gaming term, can refer to an exceptionally difficult area or any modification to the game engine that results in a sharp difficulty spike. Nightmare levels are generally played by experienced players seeking a challenge.