The Monoceros is a large beast in Final Fantasy XI. It has a long mane, long tail, and a spiraled horn on its head. It is regarded as a creature of legend and has rarely been witnessed throughout history.
There were accounts during the Crystal War from soldiers claiming to have seen and chased a terrifying creature bearing similar features to a monoceros, with a black hide, a dark temperament, and a long, spiraled horn that wields the power of lightning.
There was also a rumor of one of these creatures bearing a white hide wandering the battlefield with a broken horn, painfully neighing for assistance.
Notorious Monsters[edit | edit source]
- Dark Ixion
Campaign Allies[edit | edit source]
- Auroral Alicorn
Special Attacks[edit | edit source]
- Acheron Kick: Cone attack.
- Rampant Stance: Kicks out at all nearby targets, sometimes inflicting Aspir, Stun, or Weight.
- Lightning Spear: Magical cone attack damage. Occasionally inflicts Amnesia.
- Wrath of Zeus: Magical area of effect damage. Occasionally inflicts Silence.
- Trample: Physical area of effect damage. Inflicts Aspir.
- Damsel Memento: Recovers 5% HP.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Etymology[edit | edit source]
Ixion was a king of the Lapiths (an ancient tribe of Thessaly) and the son of either the god Ares, Antion, or the notorious evildoer Phlegyas in Greek mythology.
Ixion was summoned to the table of the gods, but rather than being grateful, he immediately tried to seduce Zeus's wife, Hera. Zeus stopped them and then tested Ixion by trying to seduce him with a fake Hera made from a cloud. Ixion slept with her, and was later punished by being strapped to a flaming wheel that flew around the world forever. Meanwhile, the fake Hera gave birth to the Centaurs, thus the reason why Ixion is portrayed by a horse-like creature.