The Metal Jerkin is a mid-ranked light armor in Final Fantasy XII that boosts the wearer's defense by 31 (Zodiac) or 26 (original), and HP by 280. Despite having "metal" in the name, Metal Jerkin does not count as metallic equipment for the Magnetize debuff in the Vinuskar boss battle.

Obtain[edit | edit source]

Original[edit | edit source]

In the original PlayStation 2 versions, the Metal Jerkin is sold for 4,900 gil in Rabanastre and Nalbina Fortress after defeating Judge Bergan. It is rarely stolen from the Antares, and is found in a treasure in Phon Coast's The Reseta Strand (middle of the northern edge; 50% chance to appear, 75% chance fo gil, 50% chance the item treasure is the Metal Jerkin without the Diamond Armlet equipped Map 35 Phon Coast).

Zodiac[edit | edit source]

In the updated Zodiac versions, the Metal Jerkin is sold for 4,900 gil in Mosphoran Highwaste after defeating Judge Bergan, and in Phon Coast. It is found in a treasure in Mosphoran Highwaste's Northern Skirts (70% chance to appear, 40% chance for gil, 50% chance the item treasure is the Metal Jerkin without the Diamond Armlet equipped), and Tchita Uplands' The Lost Way (30% chance to appear, 70% chance for gil, 50% chance the item treasure is the Metal Jerkin without the Diamond Armlet equipped), as well as the Trial Mode Stage 92 with the Diamond Armlet equipped.

It is still rarely stolen from the Antares.

Use[edit | edit source]

The Metal Jerkin is a mid-ranked light armor, giving 31 or 26 defense depending on version, and 280 HP. In the original version where everyone can wear any equipment piece, the more expensive heavy armor, Demon Mail or Bone Mail, or the mystic armor Black Garb, may be preferable purchases if the player can stretch their funds to them, as the HP boost from light armor is not usually worth prioritizing over heavy armor that boosts Strength for physical attackers, or mystic armor that boosts Magick Power for spellcasters.

In the Zodiac versions, Machinist, Monk, Archer, and Shikari can equip the Metal Jerkin, and so it is only useful to buy if the player has chosen these License Boards for their party. In The Zodiac Age, after fighting Belias, the player can choose two License Boards per party member, and so more party members can choose from the potentially more useful heavy and mystic armor sets.

Etymology[edit | edit source]

A jerkin is a sleeveless short close-fitting jacket, made of light-colored leather.

Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.