Mantid is a family of enemies in Final Fantasy XI.
Special Attacks[edit | edit source]
Even the normal attacks of these huge insects count as special attacks, striking multiple players at a time.
- Macerating Bile: Area of effect heavy Bio and all stats down.
- Phlegm Expulsion: Area of effect Slow, Silence, and Amnesia status.
- Preying Posture: Attack Boost, Accuracy Boost, Magic Attack Boost, and Intension (magic accuracy boost). These effects can be dispelled but it will take four dispels to remove them all. Also gains a potent Defense Down (and sometimes Gravity) aura.
- Raptorial Claw: Area of effect heavy physical damage, Knockback, and Magic Defense Down.
- Slicing Sickle: Area of effect heavy physical damage, Knockback, and Defense Down.
- Death Prophet: Conal Instant Death.
- Immolating Claw: Conal damage and Plague status. Red mantids (Gaunab and Paramount Mantis) only.
- Exorender: Conal physical damage. Will kill Bloodswiller Flies, causing Tsui-Goab to level up. Brown mantids (Tsui-Goab) only.
Besides the listed special attacks, spellcasting (elemental and enfeebling magic only) is not uncommon among mantids.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Etymology[edit | edit source]
Mantises is an order of insects that contains over 2,400 species and about 430 genera in 15 families worldwide in temperate and tropical habitats. Most are in the family Mantidae. A common name, often applied to any species in the order, is "praying mantis" due to the typical "prayer-like" posture with folded fore-limbs, although the eggcorn "preying mantis" is sometimes used in reference to their predatory habits. In Europe and other regions, however, the name "praying mantis" refers to only a single species, Mantis religiosa.