I have a favor to ask. Take the notebook with you when you go. That's not all. I want you to put something in the book and send it back.Young Lunafreya to Noctis
When Noctis was eight years old, he visited Tenebrae and met Lunafreya, the young daughter of the Oracle. The two quickly befriended and Lunafreya showed Noctis her notebook with a pressed sylleblossom inside. After the Niflheim Empire attacked Tenebrae, Noctis and Lunafreya became estranged, but would keep in contact via the notebook that was delivered between them by Lunafreya's magical dog Umbra. She usually sends pictures and flowers, while Noctis sends back stickers. When a 20-year-old Noctis departs on his road trip to Altissia to wed Lunafreya, he meets Umbra at an outpost and sends a message to let her know he is on his way.
Things do not unfold as planned. Insomnia is attacked by the empire and Noctis starts his journey to reclaim his kingdom by collecting the royal arms of his forebears and forging covenants with the Astrals with Lunafreya's faraway help. He periodically meets Umbra and learns through the notebook that Lunafreya supports him and is looking forward to reuniting with him.
After Leviathan's trial Noctis awakens days later to discover Lunafreya has died. He inherits her notebook, and finds Lunafreya's final message to him is another pressed sylleblossom. Noctis keeps the notebook as a keepsake.
In Final Fantasy XV -The Dawn of the Future-, Lunafreya is revived and starts to use a new notebook to catalogue her travels as a gift to Noctis, writing messages much longer than she used to with the original notebook. Her final message is for him to meet her at the Citadel, before leaving the book with Umbra. When Noctis awakes, he finds Umbra waiting for him with the notebook, and learns that his beloved has returned.
Whenever Umbra delivers the notebook to Noctis, the player can choose the message to send to Lunafreya. Depending on the player's responses, the item description for when Noctis will keep the book changes. The item is called "Lovers' Notebook" in the key item menu.
If the player gives the least affectionate answer every time (responses on the right of the dialogue tree), it will say "A notebook once used to keep in touch with Lunafreya. It serves as nothing more than a memento now." when viewed as a key item. If the player is nice (responses on the left of the dialogue tree), it will state "A notebook once used to keep in touch with Lunafreya. It is filled with twelve years' worth of memories." If the player's responses are favorable, it will say "A notebook once used to keep in touch with Lunafreya. The last page is stained with tears."
Square Enix Cafe has sold a blank notebook of the Lovers' Notebook design that includes a separate sheet with the same stickers that appear on it through the game.
- In Platinum Demo – Final Fantasy XV, the Lovers' Notebook is among the pile of books in the room in Altissia.
- On 2017 February's ATR, Director Hajime Tabata explained that the reason why Noctis and Lunafreya don't communicate through cellphones is because phones only exist in Insomnia.
- In the flashbacks the notebook appears brand new, whereas in the present time, the cover has faded.
- The black notebook Ignis uses to write down recipes seems to be a modified model of the Lovers' Notebook, as it has a pressed sylleblossom on the page next to the one he writes on. This cannot be seen in a normal playthrough, as the default camera only ever shows the cover.
- ↑ FINAL FANTASY XV Active Time Report February 2017 - YouTube (22:07) (Accessed: January 20, 2020) by Final Fantasy XV at YouTube