The Lightning Strikes was a special event on Final Fantasy XIV that started November 14th, 2013 at 12:00 a.m. and lasted until December 9th, 2013 at 6:59 a.m. (PST). The repeat lasted between February 4th and February 24th, 2014. The event was launched for a third time from September 1, 2014 to September 10, 2014 as part of the Final Fantasy XIV Online Anniversary celebrations.
Story[edit | edit source]
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Dev:Arguments' not found.
Chapter 1: For the Winsome[edit | edit source]
Petyr Winsome tasks the Adventurer with hunting monsters in the middle La Noscea so that he may write an article on Adventurer's experiences. While battling certain notorious monsters, Lightning appears and joins the fight.
Afterwards, she comments that she is not from this world and that the last thing she remembers is sleeping. She then disappears in a burst of white feathers, leaving behind otherworldly parcels as the only proof of her presence in Eorzea. When the parcels are taken back to Petyr Winsome and opened, strange gloves unlike anything present in Eorzea are found within.
Chapter 2: Seeking the Scoop[edit | edit source]
In Ul'dah, Dural Tharal, editor of the Mythril Eye, wishes to find out more about the increasingly popular Lightning figure that has been sighted throughout Eorzea and so tasks the Adventurer with hunting her down in the eastern and southern stretches of Thanalan. While there, a huge, armored behemoth-like creature is discovered and Lightning quickly joins the fight once again.
After the battle, Lightning comments that the odd creature is like something from her own world, and wonders if it wandered into this world the same way she did. She then is surprised to find out that she does not vanish after the fight this time. She walks away, leaving behind a strange otherworldly parcel like the one before. When taken back to Dural Tharal and opened, the Adventurer finds leg-wear similar to the gloves from the previous encounter.
Chapter 3: The Knight's Passage[edit | edit source]
In Gridania, Kipih Jakkya, editor of The Raven, tasks the Adventurer with finding out more about Lightning, who is now being written about all over Eorzea. She was last seen heading towards Coerthas, and Kipih urges the Adventurer to track her down for her story. In Coerthas, Lightning is encountered battling a large Magitek-like machine in the snowfields around Whitebrim.
After helping her to defeat the strange machine, she mentions that she believes she was woken up and sent to Eorzea to be tested by "some insane god" in preparation for a future fight. Like the previous encounters, she leaves behind an otherworldly parcel that contains shoes of the same unknown make as the previous garments.
This time, after returning to Kipih Jakkya, Lightning unexpectedly shows up and talks with the Adventurer. She talks about all the strange people and places she has seen in this world, and how her sister and friends would love it here. Before leaving she states that even if it is her fate to fight, she will do it on her own terms, and not just as a weapon to be wielded by some god.
Chapter 4: Wonder and Lightning[edit | edit source]
Upon revisiting Kipih Jakkya, she reveals to the Adventurer that she managed to meet and talk with Lightning since the previous encounter. Kipih says that during the interview she gave Lightning special Miqo'te clothing as a souvenir of her time in Eorzea before seeing her off. Kipih then informs the Adventurer that Lightning is currently in Mor Dhona being attacked by an army of monsters and urges the Adventurer to go to her aid. When the Adventurer arrives on the scene, Lightning is embroiled in a battle with a large group of Anubys enemies.
As soon as these are defeated, a giant Bahamut-like creature called the Aspect of Chaos appears and Lightning summons her world's version of Odin to fight by her side. After defeating the Aspect of Chaos, Lightning thanks Odin for his help and leaves the battlefield once again, suspecting this is the end of her time on Eorzea. Like the previous battles, an otherworldly parcel is left behind containing strange clothing.
When the Adventurer returns to Kipih with the parcel, Lightning is there and talks about how much she enjoyed her respite in Eorzea, and how it is a much less grim place than the world she comes from. She admires the Adventurer for living such a free lifestyle and swears she will follow their way of life no matter what gods may try and control her. She warns whatever gods may be listening that they will regret sending her to Eorzea and making her stronger.
As if the gods hear her challenge, she rises into the air and starts to vanish. She says she will probably not remember her time in Eorzea, and asks the Adventurer to remember it for her before vanishing in a cloud of feathers.
Event date and times[edit | edit source]
From Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:00 a.m. to Monday, December 9, 2013 at 6:59 a.m. (PST).
This event is comprised of multiple quests that will be released at the following times:
- Chapter 1: From Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:00 a.m. (PST)
- Chapter 2: From Saturday, November 16, 2013 at 12:00 a.m. (PST)
- Chapter 3: From Monday, November 18, 2013 at 12:00 a.m. (PST)
- Chapter 4: From Wednesday, November 20, 2013 at 12:00 a.m. (PST)
*Previous chapters remained available as new chapters were unlocked.
Allusions to the Lightning Saga[edit | edit source]
- When Lightning and the Adventurer defeat the Clockwork Dreadnaught she says "...Well, you get full points for bravery": this alludes to Lightning's birthday party from Final Fantasy XIII where after hearing Serah and Snow's story, angered Lightning says "Full points for originality".
- The Aspect of Chaos is based on Bahamut from the Lightning Saga.
- During the battle against the Aspect of Chaos, Lightning summoned Odin.
- "Blinded By Light" played during most event-related FATE batles and "Saber's Edge" played during the battle against the Aspect of Chaos.
- Several enemies from the Saga appear during FATEs, some under different names: Beta Behemoth as "Armored Beast", Dreadnought as "Clockwork Dreadnaught", Anubys retains its name, and Bahamut as "Aspect of Chaos".
- After completing FATEs and defeating the Aspect of Chaos, "Salvation's Fanfare", the victory fanfare from Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, played.
- When Lightning was taken back to Nova Chrysalia, she disappeared in a burst of white feathers, referring to her Etro's knight armor where she wore a half-skirt made of white feathers.
- Special font type for "Quest Accepted", "FATE Complete", and "Quest Complete" during this event is the same font used in Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy XIII-2, and Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII. The sound effects and completion music used are also taken from these three games.
Musical themes[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Etymology[edit | edit source]
Lightning strikes are electrical discharges on a massive scale between the atmosphere and an earth-bound object. The event name is named after the character Lightning from Final Fantasy XIII.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The required starting level and all items obtained for completing the quest are level 13, an allusion to Final Fantasy XIII.
- It is implied that the Miqo'te Dress garb Lightning can wear in Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII was given to her by Kipih Jakkya while she was in Eorzea.
- In The Rising 2018 event, the first dialogue of the quest was different if the player already participated on this one, with Dural Tharal recognizing the adventurer from before and mentions Lightning. The same thing happens with Kipih Jakkya at the first quest of the A Nocturne for Heroes event.
References[edit | edit source]
- Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Dev:Arguments' not found.
- Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Dev:Arguments' not found.