Kain Highwind is a warrior of Materia in Dissidia Final Fantasy NT and its arcade version, as a representative of Final Fantasy IV. He is an Assassin-type character, who as a Dragoon specializes in high-speed aerial combat. Kain returns from his previous appearance in Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy, in which he had a similar combat style.
Kain's default player name is Nameless Dragoon, and his manikin counterpart has been renamed Flickering Dragoon.
Profile[edit | edit source]
Appearance[edit | edit source]
Kain's default costume is "Lone Dragoon", which is based on his Yoshitaka Amano art. Its first alternate coloration recolors his armor cyan, resembling his original 16-bit battle sprite. The second alternate coloration recolors his armor navy, resembling his "Noir Dragoon" attire from Dissidia 012, which in turn is based on "Dark Kain" from Final Fantasy IV: The After Years.
Kain's first alternate costume is "Sanctifying Dragoon", his Holy Dragoon armor from The After Years. It is similar to his "Noir Dragoon" attire while in EX Mode in Dissidia 012. The first alternate coloration recolors the armor primarily purple, resembling his "Light Seeker" EX Mode coloration in Dissidia 012, while the second alternate coloration recolors the armor primarily red.
Kain's second alternate costume is "Light Seeker". It is an updated version of his "Light Seeker" attire from Dissidia 012, which is in turn based on his initial appearance from The After Years.
Equipment[edit | edit source]
Kain equips spears as his main weapon.
His default spear is the Commander's Lance, the spear wielded by Kain in his Yoshitaka Amano art. While both artworks from Yoshitaka Amano and Tetsuya Nomura feature the spear with a red rope attachment to hang over Kain's shoulder, this is absent in-game. The spear's Japanese name is "Kain's Lance", which is a name used for several spears in the Final Fantasy series in honor of Kain. Kain's first alternate weapon is the Wind Spear, a spear automatically equipped on Kain's return to the party in Final Fantasy IV, and previously wielded in his "Noir Dragoon" attire in Dissidia 012. His second alternate weapon is the Dragoon Lance, equipped by default on Kain when becomes a Holy Dragoon in The After Years, and previously wielded in his "Noir Dragoon" and "Light Seeker" attires while in EX Mode. His third alternate weapon is the Lance of Ordeals, previously wielded in his "Light Seeker" attire in Dissidia 012. His fourth alternate weapon is the Holy Lance, a recurrent spear weapon in the Final Fantasy series.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
- Type: Assassin - Kain leaps high into the air to assail his foes with his far-reaching lance.
- EX Skill: Jump I, II, III - Skill gets progressively more powerful over time. Jump II provides a buff on hit that allow Kain to jump an extra time, while Jump III provides the same buff on activation and deals HP damage.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
|Cut into your foe with an upward blow, then follow with a downward strike and a backward lunge.|
|Charge into your foe and then kick them upward.|
|Lunge upward and then send your opponent reeling with a follow-up strike.|
|Generate a tornado that pursues your foe. (Hold to charge)|
|Slice into your foe with a downward strike and follow up with two piercing thrusts.|
|Charge into your foe and then fling them upward.|
|Plunge toward your opponent, then send them hurtling with a follow-up attack.|
|Send forth a projectile that pursues your opponent. (Hold to charge)|
|Fling your lance at foes from midrange. Charging increases range.|
|Fang and Claw||HP||-|
|Tear into foes with savage slashes of your lance.|
|Charge toward foes with a piercing strike. Charge up or down depending on target. (Can move while prepping)|
|Perform several flourishes before charging. Guards against bravery attacks during first part.|
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Allusions[edit | edit source]
His custom quotes refer to various events he was involved in from his home game:
- "You've nothing to fear" refers to a line he says to Cecil as they both depart for Mist.
- "I'm not doing this for you." refers to a line he says to Cecil after he thanks him for fight alongside him in Mist.
- "I just wanted to keep you...to keep you by my side." refers to a line he says to Rosa after breaking out of Golbez' spell in the Tower of Zot.
- "Urgh... Don't...look at me!" refers to a line he says to Cecil after turning on him in Fabul.
- "I've returned to my senses!" refers to a line she says to Barbariccia after she accuses him of betraying the party.
- "Put on the real show, didn't you?" refers to a line he says when the party finds Cid alive and well in the Dwarven Castle.
- "Let me ease your suffering." refers to a line he says to Cecil after turning on him in Fabul.
- "You're not the only one who can ride the wind!" refers a line he says to Barbariccia.
- "If that should happen, kill me without a second thought" is his reply to Edge, worried that Zemus might take control of him again.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Kain is the first non-protagonist playable character to be revealed in Dissidia Final Fantasy NT and is also the first character to return from the newcomers in Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy.