A loyal soldier of King Sasune's army, he narrowly escaped the Djinn's curse. His prime concern is finding the missing Princess Sara.
Final Fantasy III instruction manual
Profile[edit | edit source]
Appearance[edit | edit source]
Ingus has short blonde hair and blue eyes. His Freelancer outfit is heavy armor and chain mail on his arms and legs, over which he wears a white shirt with puffed sleeves and a wide collar, and a red gambeson over that. Ingus's theme color is red, shown in his job armors. The white belt, gambeson pattern, collar, or green pendant are used to distinguish his job outfits from his allies'. In the opening FMV, he is depicted as a Red Mage, probably as a reference to the fact that Red Mages are considered to be the elite warriors of Sasune.
Personality[edit | edit source]
Ingus is described by Doga and Unei as the light of determination. He takes his responsibilities as a knight of Sasune very seriously, particularly his duty to guard the princess, Sara Altney. Although Sara clearly has feelings for him and several people in the castle strongly imply that he returns them, Ingus does not openly show her affection and tries to behave only as her loyal knight. Ingus works very hard at being a knight and escaped the curse on the kingdom because he was away from the castle to train on his own.
He speaks in a much more elegant and formal manner than the other three orphans and positions himself as the elder of the group early on when he calls them "younglings." He is not impulsive, preferring to analyze the situation before action, and doesn't hesitate to scold Luneth for being reckless or insensitive. He is also depicted as the steersman for the airship in the opening FMV, reflecting his position as the responsible and reliable member of the group.
Story[edit | edit source]
Ingus is a soldier who has sworn allegiance to the King of Sasune. He was outside the castle training when the Djinn cursed the castle. When he returned, he found Luneth, Arc, and Refia there as well, and allowed them entrance as they were also looking for a way to lift the curse from Kazus. Ingus was also greatly concerned that Princess Sara had gone missing, and assumed she had been kidnapped by the Djinn. His fears later turned out to be unfounded, as Sara had gone on her own to try and stop the curse.
After defeating the Djinn, Ingus was chosen to be a Warrior of the Light along with Luneth, Arc, and Refia. Although he wasn't any older than the other three, his experience as a knight and soldier made him the most outwardly mature member of the party, such as when he scolded Luneth for making fun of Arc in Saronia. He also harbored feelings for Princess Sara, although he didn't say so openly. She shared his feelings, and the other citizens of Sasune (including the king) keenly encouraged them. At the end of the game, he gladly assents to her request to stay at her side.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Ingus's battle prowess is determined by the job he is equipping. He starts as a Freelancer, but after making some progress, more jobs become available, and the player is allowed to freely change between jobs and accumulate progress in each. The individual job abilities are expanded with advanced ones.
Having characters progress through drastically different job branches can be both a blessing and a curse, as HP increases gained through leveling up accumulate into the permanent abilities of the character, although HP is the only affected stat.
At the end of a victorious battle, Ingus leans backwards with his arms crossed. When he gains a level or job level, he stands up straight and pumps his fist.
Other appearances[edit | edit source]
Ingus appears in the following Final Fantasy media:
- Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy as a downloadable content costume.
- Pictlogica Final Fantasy as a playable character.
- Final Fantasy Airborne Brigade as a Legend.
- Final Fantasy Artniks as a series of cards.
- Final Fantasy Record Keeper as a playable character.
- Final Fantasy Brave Exvius as a summonable vision.
- Final Fantasy Trading Card Game as a series of cards.
- Triple Triad as a series of cards.
Other media[edit | edit source]
Games[edit | edit source]
Users in Square Enix Members Virtual World community can make their character appear as Ingus. Ingus's hair costs 100 crystals and his clothes cost 480 crystals.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Etymology[edit | edit source]
Ingus is a variant of the Latvian name Indriķis. It is considered to be the Latvian version of Henry since both are derived from the Low German Hinrich, which contains the Germanic words for "home" and "ruler", and is often associated with kings.
Prerelease screenshots show Ingus with the names "Freyrg" and "Freyg" while all other character have variant romanizations of their final Japanese names. Ingus's Japanese name ends in a "z" sound, so his name may derive from the proto-germanic Inguz (or Ingwaz or Yngvi), a rune and deity which is also another name for Freyr.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Two scenes in the opening FMV depict Ingus and Luneth arguing in a castle and Ingus rescuing Luneth from falling off a cliff in the Molten Cave, although these scenes do not occur within the game itself.
- In the Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood Benchmark trailer, a blond male Red Mage is seen assisting a Monk in the battle. The Red Mage resembles Ingus in appearance from the opening of Final Fantasy III, who dons the Red Mage job in it.
- Dummied out dialogue hints that Ingus is descended from a resident of Falgabard: During a conversation in the Cave of the Circle, Doga noted that Ingus's eyes are similar to those of a Dark Blade wielder. Text for Falgabard and the Cave of Shadows also show Ingus expressing vague familiarity with the area.
- Ingus is based on an NPC from the NES version who avoided the Djinn's curse due to being away from the castle at the time.
- Despite being based specifically on Ingus's job outfit, is not mentioned in the Japanese name or description for Onion Knight's DLC outfit where it is called the "Deformation-Style", after the remake's artstyle.
References[edit | edit source]