Final Fantasy Wiki
Advertisement
Final Fantasy Wiki

The Golden Shield is a low to mid-ranked shield in Final Fantasy XII that boosts the wearer's physical evade.

Obtain[]

Original[]

In the original PlayStation 2 version, the Golden Shield is bought for 2,100 gil in Rabanastre after Belias is defeated, Jahara, and Mt Bur-Omisace. It is found in a treasure in Ozmone Plain's Dagan Flats (50% chance to appear, 40% chance for gil, 10% chance the item treasure is the Golden Shield with the Diamond Armlet equipped Map 29 Ozmone Plain) and very rarely drops from the Skull Warrior.

The Golden Shield is made in the bazaar in the "Golden Garb" set for selling three Iron Carapaces (from Leynir, Mesmenir, and Scythe Mantis), two Tanned Hides (from various enemies, e.g. Slaven), and three Dark Magicite (from various enemies, e.g. Zombie).

Zodiac[]

In the updated Zodiac versions, the Golden Shield can be bought for 2,000 gil from Dyce at Nam-Yensa Sandsea, Tomb of Raithwall and Balfonheim Port, and from Rabanastre (after defeating Belias) and Jahara. It is a treasure in the Trial Mode Stage 47 with the Diamond Armlet equipped.

It is still a very rare drop from the Skull Warrior, and now also the common steal from the Cultsworn Lich in Trial Mode Stage 9.

It is still made in the bazaar in the "Golden Garb" set with the same items as before.

Use[]

The Golden Shield is a low to mid ranked shield that helps evade physical attacks. However, it shares its evade stat with the superior Ice and Flame Shields, which in addition halve damage from their respective element, and so if the party can procure them before the Golden Shield, they can forgo getting the Golden Shield entirely. In the Zodiac versions, the Golden Shield can be used by the jobs Red Battlemage, Knight, Foebreaker and Shikari.

The Golden Shield can be equipped by characters with one-handed weapons or no weapon in their available hand. It adds to the wearer's physical evasion. Shield Block augments also add +5% to physical evasion per augment purchased. Equipping a shield negates the Brawler augment, even if the character is still attacking bare-handed. Some enemies, especially all the toughest bosses and marks, have Ignore Evasion as a passive ability, which causes their attacks to ignore all blocking and parrying.

The chance to block granted by gloves and shields and Shield Block licenses is checked separately to, and before, the evade from one-handed weapons. If the shield block fails, the game checks for the weapon block, and if that fails, the game checks for parry.[1]

References[]

  1. Maltzsan (January 30, 2007). Final Fantasy XII Game Mechanics FAQ. Neoseeker. Archived from the original on 1st September 2020.