Gladiator (剣闘士, Kentoushi?, lit. Sword Champion), (守護騎士, Shugokishi?, lit. Guardian Knight), or (グラディエーター, Guradiētā?) is a job class in the Final Fantasy series all about dealing heavy damage, usually with elements added to their attack. The trade-off is that the Gladiator has low Agility compared to other melee jobs.
- 1 Appearances
- 1.1 Final Fantasy V
- 1.2 Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings
- 1.3 Final Fantasy XIV
- 1.4 Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
- 1.5 Final Fantasy Tactics S
- 1.6 Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light
- 1.7 Pictlogica Final Fantasy
- 1.8 Final Fantasy Artniks
- 1.9 Final Fantasy Record Keeper
- 1.10 Mobius Final Fantasy
- 1.11 Final Fantasy Trading Card Game
- 1.12 Triple Triad
- 2 Gallery
- 3 Etymology
- 4 Trivia
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Gladiator is a job for bangaa after mastering two Warrior abilities. Gladiators wield the powerful blades in combat and can also learn three different "Spell Blades" to deal damage. Along with those, they also have some Fighter abilities to use as well. When raised right, Gladiators are very powerful and, when equipped with Strikeback, it is difficult to get in a hit.
Gladiator is a job available only to bangaa. This job can charge their weapons with elemental properties for stronger attacks. They are nimble melee units that are incapable of equipping heavy armor and so are a bit short in the Defense department, but the highest possible Strength growth makes up for it.
The Hero class focuses on increasing attack power and inflicting massive damage.
These master warriors are unequalled with a blade, and can wield spears, axes, and bows nearly as well. An excellent front line addition to any party.
Gladiator appears as a recruitable character. He is unlocked in Coliseum on Classic as the First Time Reward.
The Gladiator job appears with Thunder-, Fire-, and Earth-elemental cards.
Faris as a Gladiator from Final Fantasy V appears on a Triple Triad card in the version playable via Final Fantasy Portal App.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Etymology[edit | edit source]
gladiator (Latin: gladiator, "swordsman", from gladius, "sword") was an armed combatant who entertained audiences in the Roman Republic and Roman Empire in violent confrontations with other gladiators, wild animals, and condemned criminals. Some gladiators were volunteers but most were slaves schooled under harsh conditions. Gladiators were celebrated in art, and it became a feature of politics and social life in the Roman world.A
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Initial screenshots for Final Fantasy XIII showed the abbreviation "GLA" in red as a paradigm role, standing for Gladiator, but was later scrapped in favor of Commando.
- The job's use of elemental attacks for a more varied offensive option is likely inspired by the Mana series depiction of the job class, in where the job gained elemental Saber spells into progression.