In what has got to certainly got to be the most novel addition to wikia, you can now enable achivements for your wiki. Read about it here:
Unlike so many other recent new additions, I'm not against this. For one thing, they didn't force it on us. Even if they did, I wouldn't mind because it's just some harmless fun that doesn't alter anything about the wiki (plus I love the concept of achievements and always welcome them being integrated into anything).
So yeah, little poll here. Shall we turn them on? Diablocon 21:23, August 4, 2010 (UTC)
Sure, why not?
- Seems like the Merit Award, or Barnstar, done right. BLUER一番 21:57, August 4, 2010 (UTC)
- Because we have failed to come up with a working award system. Having users recognize others for their work is awesome, but it's been tried and failed. People get lazy and don't look for great contributions, and don't nominate others for the awards we had. Because of that, right now the only means of recognition of great work on this wiki is to award one with modship, and even then, that's not saying much because of the nature of the position. There are plenty of users who deserve recognition for their hard work here, and sadly, will never get it. - +DeadlySlashSword+ 22:30, August 4, 2010 (UTC)
- Breaking the habit of a lifetime, I know. Yes there will be people who will abuse the system, but if it encourages users to edit the wiki more often, then I'm all for it. Jeppo (Talk | contribs) 23:09, August 4, 2010 (UTC)
- Because I like to
brag.have my efforts rewarded with browser-slowing goodness. 死の騎士 23:39, August 4, 2010 (UTC)
Nah, it's fine.
- The concept for these is good. It could be a great way to motivate people to start editing things. However, a few things do bother me. Firsly, these awards would be displayed on the page. While this seems like common sense, I am wary as followed pages single-handedly screwed up the format of most userpages (that, and they were a dumb idea). Secondly, it could become competitive, with users making dumb edits to make the leaderboards. Also, these awards seem to be about editcount, and not contributions, which I don't like. So yeah, unsurprisingly, I'm against it. ScatheMote 21:49, August 4, 2010 (UTC)
- No, at the beginning, everyone will be happy about it but later no one will give a crap about it so...no. TenzaZangetsu 22:51, August 4, 2010 (UTC)
- I'm gonna agree with what Scathe said. --SilverCrono 22:55, August 4, 2010 (UTC)
- No. I just learnt at #wikia that the thing only takes into account edit counts, as opposed to fewer but substantial edits. There's no justice in this being the only criterion being followed. Fëasindë te audio 00:10, August 5, 2010 (UTC)
- Agreed with Fae - it's not an even playing ground, and that'd bother me. I'm also anti-this-idea in general. They have a similar system on the God of War wiki and it's terrible. - Paramina 00:15, August 5, 2010 (UTC)
- If it's based on only edit count then...well...eh? We already have the edit count in needlessly giant numbers on everyone's userpage. (Who has the most wins? :p)Keltainentoukokuu 00:47, August 5, 2010 (UTC)Keltainentoukokuu
- People above gave the arguments. I won't repeat them. KujaRhapsodos 02:35, August 5, 2010 (UTC)
- The Merit Award system mostly failed because users were unwilling to nominate and recognize others' contributions. I think a system that just automatically measures edit counts and dispenses badges is worse. Actual people should offer praise for the work of their fellow editors, not a calculator. If we have a large amount of customization available, and could issue badges like "This user helped with the restoration of Revenant Wings location images" instead of "This user has achieved 1000 file edits", it would work, but I don't think that's possible. 8bit BlackMage 03:29, August 5, 2010 (UTC)
If we go ahead with this, I'll start a new topic for achievement ideas and discussions.
If this goes ahead, I'd like to be in-charge of its execution and policing. I love the mainspace, I love mainspace edits, boom de ah da 2x
Wikia, actually coming up with a genuinely good idea? I didn't think they had it in them!
I'm all for it if they have one called "Testikill"...Penny Arcade, long story... Exdeath64 01:02, August 5, 2010 (UTC)