For those who may not know, there is a vandal who has been attacking several wikis across Wikia. It started on the Mass Effect Wiki, but has escalated to others as well. In short, some anon/user (I haven't read enough to figure out which) got mad at the beau and an admin at ME Wiki (SpartHawg948 and Lancer1289, respectively) and started, in the case of the latter, creating user accounts using Cyrillic letters to confuse the wikicode into showing Latin letters, leading at least two users/admins from the below-mentioned wikis to believe that Lancer was conducting a massive vandal spree on their wikis, when this is not the case.
In addition, this vandal has made possibly several sock puppet accounts, in some cases replacing entire pages with suggestive pictures and derogatory comments about the above mentioned users from the Mass Effect Wiki.
- Mass Effect Wiki
- Uncharted Wiki
- Star Wars: The Old Republic Wiki
- L.A. Noire Wiki
- Dragon Age Wiki
- Homefront Wiki
- Call of Duty Wiki
- Assassin's Creed Wiki
- World of Warcraft Wiki
- Dragonball Wiki
- Borderlands Wiki ()
- Motorstorm Wiki ()
- Gearspedia (was warned beforehand, so the damage wasn't that bad )
- Avatar Wiki ()
- BioWare forums
- Xbox Forums ()
- Combine OverWiki (Mega-Lantron128900000000)
- Halo Nation (Mega-Lantron128900000000)
- Command & Conquer Wiki (Mega-Lantron128900000000)
- MotorStorm Wiki (Mega-Lantron128900000000)
Also from the ME Wiki, I have a list of wikis that have been warned by various users, which include:
- Final Fantasy Wiki (A.J. two *) this warning is what you are reading
- Avatar: The Last Airbender Wiki (Legionwrex)
- Gearspedia (Legionwrex; was attacked, but warning stopped it pretty quickly)
- Halopedia (Legionwrex)
- Wookieepedia (Legionwrex)
- Dead Space Wiki (Legionwrex)
- Combine OverWiki Wiki (Occam's Razor)
- Left 4 Dead Wiki (Half-Wife Wiki Admin)
- Team Fortress Wiki ((Half-Wife Wiki Admin)
- Counter Strike Wiki (Half-Wife Wiki Admin)
- Tardis Index File (Legionwrex)
- Stargate Wiki (Legionwrex)
As well as the above, The Vault, Red Dead Redemption Wiki, and Memory-Alpha have been suggested, but I do not know whether they were warned or not.
A comment in the above-linked blog implied that the wikis being hit were all those in the "Gaming Wikis" tab that shows up for Oasis users. Almost all of the above wikis are included in that list, and I am not sure, but I believe that the FF Wiki is still included on the list as well, which lead me to making this Forum post warning everyone of what might transpire in the coming days, weeks, or months. A.J. two (Smashboards) 02:19, April 30, 2011 (UTC))
As I said on the ME Wiki, it's not as if we haven't dealt with this before, or would we be unprepared, but still, I don't want the damage to be as bad as it has been on these other wikis that had no advance warning. A.J. two (Smashboards) 01:20, April 30, 2011 (UTC)
- *sigh* What's the point of vandalising? You don't get anything except for being blocked.
I'm just wondering, is someone classified as a vandal even if they committed the crime once or if they disrupted articles multiple times? SquallRocks 02:01, April 30, 2011 (UTC)
- Well, here, usually, if you remove all the content from a page or make derogatory edits, you get an appropriate test template or a block in the case of three or four in a row or something like that. However, the vandal takes up to twenty pages at a time and replaces everything with text and pictures deliberately bashing Lancer1289, as so the anons and user accounts involved (which are all the same person) are getting banned left and right.
- As for actually being called a vandal, there are only two or three instances where I have found the term used here, and even then it was a few years ago. A.J. two (Smashboards) 02:08, April 30, 2011 (UTC)
- Yes. Within the link above that tells about the Avatar Wiki attack, Lancer1289 stated that multiple ZSTF members were aware of the situation. However, this person has an IP adress changer, so s/he could use any number of ip adresses across any number of wikis, and he's even branched out to the BioWare and Xbox website forums. It is clear that this won't be stopping anytime soon. A user made the comment that we could be giving him/her places to go by suggesting sites to warn, so I hope that I haven't gave the FF Wiki the kiss of death by telling them over there that I warned us (and providing a link to this forum). A.J. two (Smashboards) 18:38, May 1, 2011 (UTC)
Just a little status update, he hit the Need For Speed Wiki under the username Lancer sucks, but he didn't do much and that account and its matching IP are about to be blocked once I've posted this. -- Some Color Mage ~ (Talk) 02:13, May 6, 2011 (UTC)
Hey everyone, the Team Fortress Wikia underwent a pretty big attack yesterday all aparently by the IP 220.127.116.11, I've reverted every visible instance (apart from the main page and message which I will do in a moment), I understand that the wiki is moving/has moved (as far as I can see) but I thought I'd clean everything up while it is still there Trolls Sappin' Mah Wiki 10:39, July 12, 2011 (UTC) UPDATE: The main page appears to be locked so if anyone can get onto it you'll have to fix it. 13:05-Just discovered more vandalism on some pages, I'll continue to keep an eye on the page for a while.